Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

I'm glad the massage seemed helpful. Yes, if you can find someone who is experienced with fibromyalgia patients they are good about knowing the right amount of pressure. I remember trying one person who left me feeling like I'd been run over. A good one is a treasure.
 
For the first time in a long time, it feels like I'm moving in the right direction. Let's hope so.

So glad the massage helped you out!

It seems to be a very long haul *says she who is two months ahead of you*. :)
 
Today's update:
Saw my OS today for my 8 week check after the injection into the IT Band and the one into the joint. The fluid in the joint has returned and the pain of the IT Band has returned as well. I got some relief from the injection. The thinking was another injection might prove beneficial. So, the surgeon ordered another ultrasound guided injection into the IT Band. It is scheduled for March 11th.

If this does not completely relieve the pain in the knee, then he will refer me to another knee surgeon who will perform arthroscopic surgery to debride the joint of scar tissue. The hope is that the injection will work so the additional surgery won't be necessary.

I am holding off surgery on my left knee until this knee is straightened out. It doesn't make sense scheduling surgery on the left knee if I end up having to schedule arthroscopic surgery on my right. UGH! I'll be glad when this is over with. Hello, @Raffs what do you think? Are we glad we did this yet?
 
Thanks @Timetolive me, too. I wish I had had the second injection 4 weeks ago instead of 2 weeks from now. I personally think it would have made a difference. Of course, I could be wrong. Part of the problem is that no one knows WHY the Band is continually irritated. I'm not exactly an athlete-in-training. At least I'm not in constant pain, it's just a pain, if you get my drift! :heehee:
 
This is quite a while to be dealing with that IT band. I've never had an mri, would that help see what's going on in there?
 
Momweb, I hope the treatment gives you some relief, finally. You've been through it.
 
I'm so sorry to see that you are still having problems with your knee and IT band. It is very frustrating to have to find a solution when there are still problems after a TKR. I hope that the second round of injections is the cure for your problems.
 
Hi. Sorry to hear that things still aren't quite as they should be. Will be keeping everything crossed that the second round of injections do the trick and that the debridement won't be necessary. No, not glad at all that we did this yet! Like you, I can't even begin to think about my other knee even though it keeps giving me little nudges to remind me that it isn't 100% happy. I agree - UGH! Going to update my thread now.....got some news to report.
 
@KarriB I already had an MRI last December. It basically showed that my IT Band was inflamed and thickened. It also showed that there was some scarring in the Hoffa's Fat Pad. There was some fluid in the joint itself as well as in the fat pad and around the IT Band. The question has always been what is causing the friction to the IT Band? The MRI can't answer that. The ultrasound can't answer that. The doctor hasn't been able to answer that.

Last December 30th I had ultrasound guided steroid injection into the IT Band. It took away the worst of the pain immediately. Little by little over the next several weeks, the pain returned. So, that when I finally saw the surgeon 7 weeks later for an update, the pain was almost completely back.

I've tried massage and that helped a little. I've tried stretching, icing, heat...it just won't go away. I'm not really whining, I'm just hoping that this injection works. I really don't want to have the debridement surgery. I guess only time will tell.

Thanks @newlybionic. I see you're having a left revision soon. What happened?

@hawk2go sure seems like it's time for this all to end, but the knee always seems to have it's own opinion and timeline!! :) I know I'm ready for it all to end. Thanks for your thoughts.
 
I hope you have some relief soon and the dr has answers.
 
My patellar isn't tracking correctly. It is shifted over to one side and is causing me increasing pain and decreasing ROM. My old OS kept telling me everything was ok even when I kept having problems. There is no other way to fix this problem other than doing a revision.
 
Oh wow, @newlybionic. I take it this is a new OS? Hopefully this will solve your problem. Will the recuperation process be shorter than the original surgery or just as long?
 
Yes this is a new OS and I like him very much. The recuperation is probably about the same but he cautiously optimistic it might be a little bit shorter since I'm doing so much right now. Time will tell.
 
Today's update....Had my second injection in the IT Band. My knee was hurting me something awful today. It even buckled twice on the way into the hospital. There was a lot of effusion making it difficult to bend the knee. My radiologist, Dr. Rafael Pacheco, Rafael to me, (amazing how we're on a first name basis, he is a sweetheart!), decided to try a couple of different things today. He injected into the IT Band and then injected directly into the joint as well. There was a lot of fluid there. Directly below the incision was a great deal of inflammation and more scar tissue than last December.

I am now in far less pain than I was a few hours ago, but how long will it last? I see the OS on March 31st. If I am still in Pain at that point he will refer me to another orthopedic surgeon for debridement of the joint. The problem all along has been trying to figure out what has been causing the friction to the IT Band? Nothing showed up on the MRI or the ultrasound. So, now we play the waiting game.

I'd like to have my left knee replaced but I have to honest, it makes me a bit nervous based on what I'm going through with the right one. I'm not sure if I need a different OS, if I need to wait, if I need to just deal with the pain. It's a really tough decision to make. I want these injections to work so I can move on. But, no matter what happens, I won't let the knee stop me from living my life. I will still work out, still walk the dog, shop, vacation, etc. Maybe a little slower, maybe with more breaks, but I will never let it stop me from being me!! So listen up knee, stop being such a pain!!
 
I'm so sorry that you still are in pain and not sure where to turn next. You might want another OS who specializes in revisions to give you a second opinion. I felt it made my new OS more competent to pick up the problems within that knee. Hopefully you will begin to feel better soon.
 
It may just be time for a second opinion from a revision specialist who would look at your knee with an unbiased opinion.
 
Glad you're now in less pain and keeping everything crossed that the pain stays away.

Why would you need to see another OS for the debridement? Does your OS not do that procedure?

It must be utterly frustrating not to know what is causing the pain. I really feel for you. I totally understand re your other knee, I feel the same.

You had a setback fairly on in recovery from what I remember? I seem to recall that you were doing great and then something happened? Do you think that has something to do with your current issues?

You and I are on a similar timetable. My PRP injection is on Tuesday (March 15th) them I'm seeing the OS on March 29th. I won't say I'm 'pleased' to be on this journey with you but I'm glad we can share and support and vent.

Have a good weekend. Keep walking the dog and living your life!!
 
@momweb - stay on the nurses for your meds. I learned to hoard them. My option was 1 Norco every 4 hours or 2 every 4 hours. My pain came back every 2 hours whether I took 1 or 2. So I would ask for 2 and hoard one for the 2nd hour. Prior to surgery, I only used Aleve but the post surgery is a whole other animal. Get your meds, girl n hoard them if u don't need them right away!
 
@Raffs my current OS only does knee replacements and revisions, he does not do arthroscopic surgery of the knee. The surgeon he is referring me to specializes in knees and shoulders. He actually did a clean-out of bone spurs of shoulder several years ago. I'm having sleepless nights wondering what to do. I have a funny feeling this won't work. I am in less pain today, but there is still substantial pain in the knee that I'm not sure should be there.

About 6 weeks in, I tore a tendon and yes, you are right, things have not been right since. I, too, wonder if that has something to do with all this. Did the scar tissue grow back in the wrong place so that it is rubbing and causing irritation? Who knows?

Your injection is in a couple of days and I so hope it makes all the difference for you. In the meantime, the weather, here has been unbelievably warm so that brightens my spirits. Onward!! UGH!!:shrug:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom