Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Great news that you have some relief-finally! Whew!
I got a cortisone inj yesterday in #2/old knee. OS says everything except the patella looks good and he does not want to do surgery on good bones. So, like you, I'm in a holding pattern to see IF this relief lasts. Today has been wonderful- pain free!
 
Hi there. I've been off the site for weeks, came back a few days ago as I am having some issues (won't bore you here, hop over to my thread if you're interested!) so wanted to asked for help and advice.

Wow, you have absolutely been through it, haven't you? I have read all your posts about the ultrasound, MRI and shots with great interest. Really pleased to hear that the shots have given you some relief and I hope this lasts for a very long time.

I guess now you want to get to the bottom of what is the actual cause of the pain? The shots are great but having followed your journey these past 6-7 months (has it really been that long??) I think you'll want to get a definitive answer if you can so that the problem can be sorted for good won't you?

Well done on being so determined not to settle and to keep fighting the good fight towards pain free living and a full recovery.

Take care and keep us posted.
 
How're you doing? Be good to hear an update since the shots.
 
Hi @Raffs, good to hear from you. I'm doing ok. Kind of in an in between type of ok. I was doing great after the injections. We had a beautiful day here and I decided to test out the knee so I took a long walk like I used to take before the surgery at a pace that was pretty fast. It included a couple of decent hills, but I made it after about 20 minutes or so and I felt great even if I was breathing a bit hard. I was excited that my knee even felt good.

Well, Lynn, move forward a few days...and the pain behind my knee returned. The IT Band hurts like it did before the injection which is not good. The pain behind the kneecap is still not bad. Most days I don't have any pain there and if I do, it's more sore than anything. I guess I pushed too far. I'm still taking my aqua fit classes, just not doing as many knee lifts or jog as high. I'm still able to go up and down the stairs normally, which is really exciting. I couldn't do that before the injections.

I'll see the surgeon on March 2nd. We'll see what he says. The radiologist said I might need a second IT Band injection. The question still remains is what is irritating it? How about you? Have they figured out what is causing your pain?
 
Hi. Pleased to hear you had a lovely walk but not so good that the pain has returned. Sorry to hear that.

Are you massaging and stretching your IT band? There is an article in the library that is really helpful. Or have you been told to leave it alone? I know that @CATSMUM has had loads of problems with her IT band but has seen some improvement since she starting seeing a sports massage therapist/personal trainer. She'll be able to tell you more.

Yes, you definitely need to find out what is causing the IT band to be so irritated. Until you know the cause, then you are only dealing with the symptoms which, of course, helps a lot but isn't necessarily the answer.

I'm doing ok thanks. Saw my GP last night and seeing the PT tonight. I'll post an update on my thread tomorrow - don't want to hijack yours! I believe my pain is caused by (1) impingement of the Hoffa's fat pad (2) internal scar tissue causing the 'tight band' feeling, (3) tendonitis in the patella tendon and (4) tightness in the IT band.

I'm so glad that we're still in touch - it's great to have people who totally get it. I expect you're finding (I know I am) that people look at you in amazement when you tell them that you're not fully recovered yet? I feel like telling them exactly what they can do with their 'really?' comments!!
 
I understand what you are going through. It's very difficult to tell people that im.not able to do things still after my surgery including stairs!
 
@momweb Raffs is correct, I had major problems with my IT band. It's much better now thanks to my massage therapist. It's taken quite a long time to get to this current state though, no fast cures, I'm afraid. My therapist also released my quads, hamstrings and calves - they were rock solid! You could try a sports massage but make sure that they are fully qualified in giving deep tissue massage.
 
IT bands are a pain - literally and figuratively!!

The exercises posted in the thread about gaining extension are helping me a lot - my physical therapist gave me a sheet of exercises to do at home and they're almost identical. I've gone from an extension of 5-7 on a given day to 3-5 on a given day. What seems to help me the most is being face down on the bed and hanging my leg off the bed.
 
@CATSMUM after @Raffs mentioned you and a sports massage I looked online for one in my area and was dismayed to find that very few certified sports masseuses exists. Many massage therapists say they can do sports massage but they don't really know what they are doing. Some PT can do deep tissue massage and stretching but you have to find the right ones as well. I found a holistic place but they are not covered by insurance and are quite expensive. I'm going to try the IT Band compression Brace to see if that works, try some of the stretches I've seen online and if none of those works in the 6 weeks, I'll request PT when I see the surgeon on March 2nd. It's crazy I just want to know what's causing the Band to become irratated and inflamed? Did they give you any ideas?
 
The massage technique on here in the article on IT band issues does give me some relief even if just temporary. Give it a try perhaps? And the stretches are good too. I do one at least 3 times a day for 30 secs. I'm paying for my PT now as we've used up our insurance cover for PT until April 1st. It's not horribly expensive and, tbh, I need it so will find the money for it!! Hey, it's not as if I'm spending loads of money on sexy high heeled shoes, is it?! I practically live in my sneakers!! I don't know why my band is irritated but I'll ask my PT on Tuesday and let you know.
 
@momweb I guess I've been very lucky with my Sports therapist, she did a very in depth training and had to pass stringent practical tests. She did say that I'd she'd been a fraction out from identifying a muscle, she would have failed. She did say that some therapists literally just do training that lasts a few days!!
I'm seeing her tomorrow and will ask her what the main causes are for IT band problems, although the articles on here are very informative.
 
Here's my update: I did purchase an IT Band Compression Band which I wear when I walk for a long period of time, like walking the dog. It does seem to help. I have tried some of the exercises I have seen on this site as well as others and I've tried to massage the area at night. It seems to help a little but I guess it's going this is going to be a long process.

The good thing is that I'm not in pain anywhere near where I was in October which is before I had the steroid injections. They really did help. I can still go up and down the stairs without a problem. Going down stairs was my major issue. Even my PT said, what's the big deal if you have to go down one step at a time? The big deal is I had the surgery so I wouldn't have to.

I know people say this is a one year recovery and at 7 months we are still healing. Sometimes that is so hard to accept. I am better off today with the surgery. But I sure wish I could say I was completely pain free!
 
You're getting there! I'm glad the steroids have helped you. I'm sure going down stairs will eventually get better too. Hang in there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@momweb - I'm just a week ahead of you with my second knee, and I noticed last week I can go down steps one leg at a time now. I haven't had the IT band problems you've had but this knee has given me more problems in terms of pain than the first one did. When I saw my doctor the week before Christmas, the therapist had me do steps for her and at that time I was having trouble going down. She told me as the strength in my quad improved they would become easier. I've been riding the bike 5 miles and increasing my weight on the leg press so it must be helping. The first knee feels completely normal now, it's been 14 months so it really does take a year before you can feel you've progressed past the recovery part and into the normal phase.
 
@momweb glad the IT band support has helped a little. I'm only a little ahead if you but l did have a nasty fall at 8 weeks post op. I still experience pain, although not as much as l did some months ago. This recovery is long and my OS told me it could take upto 18 months (l hope not!). Looking forward to the day when l can say I'm pain free.
 
I totally agree - even though we know we are still in recovery we struggle to accept it. 7 months feels so long, there are days when it feels like forever. Good to hear that the compression band is helping. The massage feels nice doesn't it? So even if the effects are only temporary at least you're getting a little relief. Do you know how long the effects of the injections should last? Will you need more? Can you have more? Did they find out for sure what is causing the pain? Yes, I agree - why have this surgery if we still can't do basic things like go down the stairs normally? I can but it isn't always easy.
 
I've heard a few people talk about trying massage to help with pain, but I found it really hard to find a sports masseuse in our area with the skill to make a difference, that is, until now!:thankyou: I went for a 90 minute massage yesterday with a woman who specializes in treating Fibromyalgia. I told her about my IT Band issue and asked if there was anything she could do to help me. She said she would try. For almost an hour she worked to release the tightness in my hips, my thighs, my calves, scar tissue around my knee. She massaged around the entire length of the IT Band. She moved my leg in a variety of positions to reach the band in a variety of ways. Many times it felt like heaven, while others felt like I was bruised.

The biggest difference today is that I am much looser. I am in less pain than I was yesterday, but the pain is still there. It will take awhile for this to go away but this is the first time, I've felt hopeful that the end is in sight. She also repeated what so many others have said; I'm still early in recovery. Healing is still taking place. Be patient and try not to let the pain overwhelm your thoughts. (sound familiar @Raffs :wave:?)

I'm going back in 2 weeks for another massage. We'll work again on the leg. The following day I'll see the surgeon. At that time, we'll review the right knee and talk about how the pain in the left knee has increased and see if I can schedule that knee for mid-April.

For the first time in a long time, it feels like I'm moving in the right direction. Let's hope so.
 
I'm glad that you were able to find someone to give you the type of massage that will work for you. Hopefully each session will bring you closer to being pain free.
 
That sounds great, I could do with some of that right now! I'll speak to my PT next week about having some more massage. Fingers are crossed for you!
 
That IT band pain sounds awful. Good luck with continued massage success.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom