TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@newlybionic it was awhile since I've read your posts, so I went back and read some of them. good Lord, you've had a tough time, haven't you? I'm at least still with the same OS, although I had to push hard to make him realize I was still in pain and I wasn't going away. So, in that case I know how you feel. He was ready for me at the last visit which was a pleasant surprise and welcoming. I brought a bottle of wine with me and told him it was a bribe so he would take the pain away. He laughed and said I might want to take it back. No way, I said, take the pain, take the wine. At least now, he'll have a hard time forgetting who I am!:heehee: Now, if we can only get this pain to away for good. He's at least trying the injections, I've had an ultrasound, an MRI and now the injections. We'll see what happens next. Your visit is New Year's EVE, if I remember right, I'll be anxious to see how it goes. Try and have a happy New Year!! I'll be watching and following.
 
Funny @KarriB sounds like me. My left knee is a mess. I fell in a parent-teacher basketball game when I was 24. I tore my ACL to shreds. I've had Meniscus surgery twice on the left knee. So, I was anticipating doing the left knee first until that day at the lake. Stairs are awful on the left. The surgeon says the arthritis is most likely worse in my kneecap just like my right, but there's tons of scar tissue from the previous surgeries. Plus the ACL surgery built a sling-type device that was connected by drilling a hole in the bone. Who knows what surprises the surgeon will find when he gets into that joint! Can't be any worse than the other one, now can it?:loll:
 
Although the left hurts and can't do steps, it still isn't as bad as the right was before surgery. I think it's going to have to be pretty bad before I have it done. The infection thing scares me also.
I will say it's getting harder to go back to school after each break, including this one. :hissy:
 
Today was the ultrasound guided injection of the IT Band. The radiologist was such a sweetheart! He comes in and reintroduces himself by his first name. Wow! We talked about how he's had many conversation with my surgeon about my issues and how they are both trying to figure out how to solve the problem. I don't seem to fit the pattern. So, what else is new? Seems to be the story of my life. Any way, the injection went smoothly and I was able to bend my knee back without pain. I was able to put my foot across my other knee to put on my shoe without pain. I haven't been able to do that for months!:)

He said I'll be hurting tomorrow and the next day and it would take a full week to 10 days for the steroids to take effect. He wants me to text him at that time and let him know I am. He suspects based on the amount of fluid and inflammation I probably will need another injection. If I'm not in any pain behind the knee, then we've found the solution to that part of the knee pain. Now, we still have to figure why there's pain behind the knee cap. But we are getting there. :yes!:
 
Yay! That sounds great and so amazing that he wants you text him to let him know how you are! I remember after I'd started to feel better (from the infection) a nurse told me how concerned Dr. P and the whole staff had been for me. They'd stop me in the hall to say how great I looked. It just makes you confident that you've chosen the right dr and that you're not just a file.
Again relieved for you!
 
It sounds like there's great communication between your caregivers, so hopefully together they'll be able to resolve your problem soon.
 
@tigz and @KarriB it took a long time before I felt there was any communication about me between anyone. So, yes, I'm glad that someone is finally listening and trying to resolve the issue. After all their reputation is at stake here as well. I'm not a big complainer and I have a large pain threshold, but when there's discomfort day after day, week after week, somehow, it just seems to get bigger and bigger, even if it's a small thing. But I think we're on the right path and 2016 looks very hopeful!! Happy New Year to all!
 
@momweb Unfortunately my news from the new OS wasn't very good. Short answer is that the only way to reduce the pain in my TKR is to have it redone!! My kneecap is off to the side and not tracking correctly. I'm still in shock.

I'm glad your result is much better. I hope the injection is the answer for you. Have a great New Year!
 
Oh I'm so sorry. Hang in there, it will get better.


Alice M, R TKR 11-02-15
 
@newlybionic I've been wanting to reply to you, but the site was down. I am so sorry to hear your news. I thought I had a similar problem, but my kneecap seems to be tracking fine. I still have some pain behind the knee cap, which can't be explained. The injections have made a world of difference. I even went to my aquacize class today for the first time. I was ok except for all the knee lifts. The knee started to hurt so I had to ease up. I guess tomorrow will be the true test as to how the knee will feel.

Marian, will they only have to fix the kneecap? Can they leave the rest of the implant in place? When will you have the surgery and what's the recovery time for this? I can't believe you have to go through this. I am so sorry.
 
@momweb My new OS didn't come right out and say that my doctor screwed it up but he did tell me the only way to fix it was to redo the entire knee. He also told me that he has seen a fair number of patients from my old doctor needing a revision.
 
@momweb Im not sure when it will be done. It's basically up to me to decide. They are making sure I don't have an infection there first. If so that would force me to do it immediately. He doesn't feel that there is fortunately. I just started a new job two months ago so this couldn't have come at a worse time. It will take me until the middle of March for my training to be complete. I think I will be eligible for short term disability by February 1st. That's when my benefits kick in.
 
I hope they find a solution to your pain and can resolve it. What kind of injection did you get? Was it cortisone? Prayers for this to be a solution.
 
@Timetolive I asked the radiologist the name of the steroid and he gave me the name. It was not cortisone, but some other steroid with a long name that I don't remember. It'll be one week tomorrow since the second injection and 3 weeks since the first, and I have to admit they have made a world of difference. I still have some pain but it is tolerable. I've been able to increase my speed while walking, I can walk up and down the stairs like a normal person without much pain at all. I even went to Y and attended 2 aquacize classes. I had to be careful about all the knee lifts but I did really well. So, I guess now the question is: how long will it last? We'll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy my new knee and get strong so I can do my other knee in the spring.
 
@momweb That sounds like the shots are really working well for you. I've had the injections you have had for my knees. They lasted up to 6 months for the worse one of them. I'm happy you can conquer those pesky steps!
 
I am so glad the injections are working! You are doing a great job being active and enjoying your new knee. I look forward to those days!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom