Guest viewing is limited

TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Hang in there!! I hope you can find an answer to your problems. This has been going on a long time and must be very difficult to deal with.
 
I haven't been on here for such a long time and just logged in to see if I recognize anyone anymore. I am so very sorry that you are still having problems. Hopefully, a resolution will be forthcoming. Blessings.
 
Thank you so much! Not having the injection until 6pm London time. I'll post an update on my thread later tonight or tomorrow.

How're you? Is the pain still staying away? Really hope so.
 
@momweb How are you doing? I'm sitting in the hospital after my revision this afternoon. The OS did find the patella tracking problem found on my but he also found some extra cement in the joint from when they cemented the original joint and it must have oozed out and was never cleaned up then. He feels this revision has been a complete success. I'm actually feeling ok right now so far. You might want a o see another OS just to have another set of eyes check out your knee.
 
Wow @newlybionic extra cement? Unreal!! The sad thing is he would never found that if he hadn't done the surgery. That's what I'm afraid of. I've had an MRI and 2 ultrasounds and nothing shows up. So, unless they go in surgically and find something, I'm stuck with a mystery. My last injection was a week ago Friday. I'll see the surgeon on the 31st. I'm not pain free but better. But that happened the last time I had the injection and the pain returned after awhile. I can already feel the inflammation returning. I think I'm going to end up with the other knee surgeon doing arthroscopy to look around. If that doesn't solve my problem then I will definitely need to see another knee replacement/revision specialist. But as a nurse friend of mine said, this other surgeon really is giving you a second opinion. I don't know, we'll see. I'm glad you're doing well and this will be the end of your issues. Sending you all good wishes.
 
After talking to my daughter and my nurse tonight I found out that they found a lot of fluid in the knee and they are doing a culture to make sure there is no infection. I e got my fingers crossed that nothing shows up.:fingersx:
 
Glad that the pain is better but sorry to hear you are not pain free. Will be keeping fingers crossed that the pain doesn't return this time. Where do you have inflammation? Is it visible or can you just feel it internally? The thought of more surgery is just awful but I'm guessing if that is what it takes in order for you to fully recover then you're going to do it, aren't you? I know I would. At least doing the arthroscopy should give you a definite diagnosis. Please post again after you've seen the OS next week.
 
@Raffs My entire leg is swollen because this hospital doesn't want my leg elevated at all. I've been sitting in my chair since I and only got up for the bathroom and to walk down to gym on the floor can't wait to get home and
Elevate my leg and pack it all the around with ice, not just the top.
 
Sending good thoughts your way. Hoping your OS finds something that can finally give you relief.
 
@Raffs the inflammation is behind the knee scar and in the IT Band. Right now, the inflammation is not as bad as before the injection. However it is surely to get worse again. Bending my knee back from a straight position creates pain. I've had this same pain since the first few weeks after the knee replacement. That's the part I don't understand. When the inflammation is reduced so is the pain. Something causes the inflammation and increased fluid in the joint which in turn causes the IT Band to become inflamed. Well, I guess next week I'll see what the surgeon has to say.
 
Sounds very similar to the pain that l'm experiencing. Bending my knee from straight creates pain. Knee has not yet been pain free! Like Raffs, I'll be very interested in what the arthroscopy shows and what your OS says.
 
UPDATE:
It's now 3 weeks since the second set of injections into the knee joint and IT Band. I was supposed to see the surgeon tomorrow but I cancelled the appointment. My knee doesn't feel too bad. I'm in a little pain but not awful pain. I didn't want to go in and see him and say things are pretty good. Then in a few weeks from now, should the pain come back with a vengeance, have to make another appointment and plead for help. So, I decided to wait.

The last time I had the injections, they lasted about a month with tolerable pain before the pain returned where I could no longer handle it. I'm afraid it will happen again and I wanted to wait and see IF that would happen again. So I rescheduled the appointment for when the OS returns from vacation on April 26th (same day as yours @Raffs). So, hoping for the best. We shall see.
 
Sounds like a wise decision. I too struggle with IT band issues and right now I am hunkering down with 3 PT exercises. If these don't work I may have to ask for a shot. Is it cortisone you are getting?
 
I'm truly sorry that you still have pain in your knee. My knee before the revision was constantly swollen and painful due to my knee cap rubbing against soft tissue with some free floating fragments of cement acting like sand paper. While no one likes to hear the word 'revision' it was definitely the best thing I could have chosen to do.
 
@Wanttobebiking I'm not sure what the steroid was, I think it was a combo pack. This was the second time around for me. Both were ultrasound guided injections. Both showed fluid and inflammation in the IT Band. There was less fluid in the band the second time around. It definitely made a difference. For how long, that's the question.
 
I think that is a very sensible plan. Hopefully the pain won't return this time so you won't need to see the OS again. I wonder what causes fluid to build up in the IT band? Has anyone given you any possible causes? Keep posting regularly if you can so we know how you're doing.
 
Update----It's now 6 weeks after my second steroid injection into my knee joint and IT Band. I saw my OS today for a checkup to see how things were going. Well, the news was mixed. I'm still in pain in 2 areas: the back and to the side of my knee and in the front. The back of the knee causes issues while driving and at times walking especially in hilly areas. The pain in the front causes pain going up and down the stairs. All of these gets relieved tremendously by the injections. But I've already had 2 and I can't continue to keep having them.

So, the plan at this point is for my surgeon, the orthopedic radiologist and another knee surgeon to have a pow wow this coming Friday. They will go over the Ultra Sounds, the MRI, and my visits to the OS. The decision to be made is whether to do an arthroscopic clean out or even possibly a full open knee surgical clean out. There is possibly some tendon issues that are causing some of the problems I continue to have.

I have put off doing my left knee until at least next January. Even though it's been yelling at me lately. I need to straighten this right knee out first. At 10 months I was hoping all this would be resolved, but I am hopeful that an answer is forthcoming.

@Raffs I've been thinking of you and wondering how you've been doing?

That's it for now everyone. I'll post when I hear what the next steps are. Keep me in your thoughts.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom