TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@momweb i am sorry to hear you are still in pain. Your OS at least recognizes it and gave you pain meds, but how much nicer it would be not to need them in the first place! I hope it all resolves OK, and soon! And happy Thanksgiving to you also. Despite the pain, we have so much to be thankful for. My grandparents and great grandparents were quite debilitated from arthritis, and I am so grateful that I don't have to live that way. ( I have fun imagining the medical advances that will someday make my grandkids gasp about the brutal knee replacement process in the 2010s before someone figured out how to do it laparoscopically, or maybe remotely with lasers!)
 
@New England Librarian I have often thought, like you, how lucky we are to have the medical advances we have. I know my mother had pretty severe arthritis among her other ailments. I've chosen not to live with the pain like she did. My daughter was born in 1989 with a congenital heart defect. Had she been born just 10 years earlier, she would have died. She has had 2 open heart surgeries since, and ran her first 1/2 marathon just one year after the last surgery. So, you are right, there is much to be thankful for.
 
@momweb I got an email back from my OS finally. It consisted of only one word 'normal'. I'm totally frustrated now because I'm having pain and I have no answers. I'm no longer in PT and am working now.

I'm glad that your OS saw it through. I hope you get the appropriate treatment soon.
 
@newlybionic Here's what funny. When I had my ultrasound, the first radiologist saw nothing other than 1cm of fluid in the joint. If the muscular-skeletal radiologist hadn't come in when he did, I'd probably be in the same place as you. If the pain persists, call your OS back. I know healing takes a long time, but there has to be a reason for pain, whether it be tendonitis, muscle strain, scar tissue, tight muscles, something. Keep me posted.

I'm still waiting to hear what the OS wants to do about the pain in the back of my knee --- inject cortisone, call for an MRI, not sure. Hopefully, I'll hear this week.
 
My OS office utilizes email and I sent him one asking about what he thought was why I was having pain still. If it was tendinitis, IT band or muscular and what I should do or if I should go back to PT for some type of therapy. His nurse wrote back with a question just asking me if I wanted another PT script! :banghead:
 
Momweb sorry about your daughter's troubles, but it sounds like she is doing great (at age 25? 26?). My family is far too familiar with the neonatal ICU and the many miracles performed there. Technology developments that can save lives (or even save pain) are a wonderful thing.

I am sorry to hear of all the issues you have had with ongoing pain and hope that your OS can help you leave that behind along with the arthritis.
 
Newlybionic, this is why I think so many people feel as if they have to self-diagnose. Too often, if they don't tell their health professional what the problem is, they feel like they get the run around. This is fine when it's a routine problem. Less confidence-inspiring when you're counting on the professional to help with the answer.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
No need to be sorry @New England Librarian, my daughter is doing great! And yes, she is now 26. She has had some heartaches, a broken engagement was a biggie this past spring. But she is stronger and better for it. I am thankful for the medical community that continues to presses forward so that babies like my daughter survive and people like us get new implants that allow us to eventually live longer with less pain.

Now, as @newlybionic and I have found out, that sometimes, this healing process comes with some kinks that the medical field can't quite put their finger on. They're having difficulty with all their technology figuring out where the pain is coming from, therefore, difficulty finding a solution. I do, have faith, that it will work out, and in time and with patience and continued ruling out different things, our physicians will find the answers. But we all need to work together to make the process work.
 
I'm glad to hear your docs are working together to diagnosis your pain and you have faith in them. That's half the battle. :goodpost:
 
Finally is all I have to say!! I've had this obnoxious pain behind my knee that has only gotten worse. I had an ultrasound that showed an inflamed IT Band. I've been waiting for the past 3 weeks for the OS to decide what he wanted to do about it. In that time, the pain has increased, I've experienced what I called zingers that go across the front of the knee that are extremely painful and stop me in my tracks for a couple of seconds and I now have pain in the front of my knee making it sometimes difficult to go up the stairs. I've always had trouble going down, now I have trouble going up. This is nuts! Well, I called today, because he hasn't called me in 3 weeks explaining how much pain I'm in when I walk and finally said it's time to schedule an MRI. You think? Now, I have to wait to schedule it and to see what if anything it shows. Other that, things are great! We're decorating for Christmas, the tree is up and we're enjoying beautiful weather!!! Hope you are all well, as well
 
I'm sorry you're having these multiple problems and I hope the MRI reveals something for which you can be helped.

I think those shooting pains are the zingers from nerves re-growing. They can be pretty fierce, can't they?
 
Those zingers continued to happen for quite a while in my case. Sometimes I'd be sitting in my rocking chair : ) reading to my students and my leg would start trembling and even lift off the ground! I do hope an MRI gives you some answers.
 
I'm sorry to hear about your OS not getting back to you. I've had the same problem with my doctor too. I'm glad that you are finally going to get the testing you need and I hope a plan is made to reduce your pain quickly.
 
Thanks everyone and glad to see you're all still around. It seems that once you've had your surgery and the first 6 weeks or so have gone by, you're no longer a major priority in the scheme of things. I know the surgeons are busy, but it's very frustrating being told how he wants to talk to you before making a decision and then never calls you even when you call to check on the progress week after week. But, as friends have said, the squeaky wheel gets the grease... or whatever. At least I finally got things moving. Hopefully I won't have to keep calling to get the stupid test scheduled. :snork:
 
@momweb glad there is some progress - but sorry it is so little! I hope the MRI sheds some light on what is going on in that angry joint! I am also hoping that the pain (love the "zinger" description) doesn't interfere too much with your enjoyment of the holidays.
 
Grr!! Doctors!! I have never been able to get straight answers about my shoulder issues--I think maybe they really don't know and just don't want us to know they don't know! I too still have pain at back of the knee and at the IT attachment--nothing I can't live with--but certainly would rather not!

Went to a Christmas party and talked to a gal that said it took her about 1 1/2 yrs. before she was truly pain free. Then there is the guy that was at a horse show in Sept. (that includes sitting in stadium seats, running up and down stairs, standing long periods and pounding pavement) "3 1/2 wks." after his surgery; he was at this party 4 wks. after his second surgery and was upset because his recovery with the second one was taking SO MUCH LONGER !!!:sigh: (We should all have his problems! :yes:)

As to your sleeping issues, I couldn't survive without ambien--I only take it a few times a week but it will drop me below the pain level so I can truly rest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad you are going to get a MRI- hopefully you will get a definite diagnosis and a solution. Hang in there.
Megan


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kssii isn't it funny how different we all are? I know we've said it again and again, we're never prepared for the length of time that the recuperation really takes. For most of us it probably is normal to have some discomfort for a long time. However, once you reach the 5-6 month most people are relatively pain free. Soreness and stiffness is still common, but there shouldn't be any real pain. Unfortunately for some of us, that pain is still there, and you are right, sometimes, the doctors, just don't know why. I'm hoping this MRI, scheduled for this coming Saturday will have some answers. It's the unknown that drives me crazy!!! I can't live with that!
 
@momweb I'm glad your MRI has been scheduled. I hope you don't have to chase after the OS for the results. I feel your frustration. I had an ultrasound for a DVT even though I as fairly sure it was something muscular or tendinitis. All I got back from OS is an email stating Normal! Not what I should do to try to elevate the pain. It wasn't until I sent an email to my ortho doc in the group who was also one of the founding docs did I get any action. Now the office calls me to see what else I need. I'm trying there PT dept. I have my ortho doc email address ready just in case.
 
@newlybionic the office scheduled my follow-up appt at the same time they told me about the scheduled MRI. So, at least I don't have to chase the doc down for the results! It took 2 weeks to get the results of the ultrasound which he didn't seem to believe. So, we'll see what happens.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom