TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

@Slainte that's exactly how I felt! Yeah there's something wrong with me! Well, not really. But at least there's now something that can be fixed. Funny how that works. Just waiting for a return call from the OS office to see where we go from here.
 
So glad you have an answer. As you pointed out, it takes just the right person to recognize these unusual conditions--makes it so hard on the patient.
 
@Kssii the other thing that makes it hard is when the doctor's office doesn't return your calls. I've been calling the OS office since last Friday. Today when I called and said this is the third time I'm calling, I'd appreciate a call back, I tried to sound nice, but I was beginning to get a bit angry. I realize I'm not a huge priority, but really, even if the office is real busy, how hard is it to call and let me know that? I left my cell phone because I knew I'd be out volunteering at my daughter's dog grooming salon. So, where did the OS call? The house phone. Phone tag again. I finally reached them and got an appointment for a week from Thursday. I'm not urgent and the doc's been away at a conference since last Thursday. So, this week is jammed. A little courtesy call would go a long way. So another week and a half before I get any word on how to get rid of this obnoxious pain. And life goes on.....:thud:
 
Yes, somewhere along the line doctors became way more important than the patient. When I made my first appointment to see my OS, I waited 3 1/2 hrs!!!! Now, must admit that when I finally saw him, he didn't rush me at all--was relaxed and answered questions etc. Problem was it was 6:15 pm and I knew there were still a number of people waiting and I felt guilty taking much time. Fortunately, I have not had this problem with him since.
 
Today I decided I'm tired of waiting to hear how to get rid of this IT Band issue, so I decided I needed to be a little proactive. A few weeks ago I signed up for a water aerobics class and I haven't gone because I was told no exercise except walking. Well, I feel a little better, but the pain is still there, so that's not the total answer. So I decided to attend the class today and take it easy. I am so glad I did. I didn't do the things that bothered my knee and was happily surprised at how much I am able to do pain free. The real test will be tomorrow when I should see how today's workout affected my knees. But I am hopeful.
 
Felt good to do something, I am sure! You deserve to have no ill effects!
 
On Thursday it'll be 2 weeks since the ultrasound that showed the IT Band was inflamed and 4 weeks since I've seen the OS. Tomorrow I'll go to my second aqua aerobics class and do what I can. I still walk about 3 miles a day and yes, I still hurt like hell. I stretch my hamstrings, I elevate my knee. I'm still taking Celebrex and will rub the knee with Voltaren gel. Life must go on and I will do what I can when I can. The only time I am beyond myself is at night. Sleep is an issue that has alluded me for months, but the pain from the IT Band keeps me from sleep especially recently. I'm hoping that on Thursday the OS will have some answers or suggestions for me. At 5 months out, I'm ready!!
 
I'm so sorry to hear about all the delays in your treatment. I've been having pain in my lower leg and waited two weeks for the OS to see me. I saw him and he put me on an NSAID and told me to come back in two weeks. I went back and he sent me for an ultrasound the next day. It's been a few days now and even though I was told I would get a call on Friday from him I didn't hear one word. He does surgeries on Mondays so I won't hear tomorrow. So I'm stuck waiting. It is truly frustrating. I hope you do hear soon from your doctor. I actually took a muscle relaxer last night and got 5 hours of interrupted sleep. The most I've had in 4 months. The only thing I do at night is to put something boring on tv or some music and pick up one of my dogs to hold and stroke. ( I'm talking a 7 pound dog). I hope your nights get better. Make sure your doctor knows about the inability to get to him. I've found that sometimes it's his staff that causes the problem and it should be addressed.
 
Oh, dear. You've had way more than your share of problems. I hope that you soon get an answer and a reasonable solution. Not only are you in need of that Patience ATM but also a magic sleep potion with a bid helping of pain relief. So, good thoughts, well wishes,prayers and hugs coming your way. Keep us posted on next steps.
 
@newlybionic it will be interesting to see what your ultrasound shows. I've been taking a muscle relaxant for the past 3 weeks. It has helped some, but not enough. I tend to get up around 2AM and take either a tramodol or hydrocodone, depending on how much pain I'm in. They say the IT Band is very painful and can take a long time to heal. I'm ok with that, the question is what am I supposed to do in the meantime? Waiting 3 weeks for that answer seems kind of crazy.:flabber:

Thanks for staying with me @Thesoutherncook. It's always nice to have a friendly face looking after you. :)
 
Mine is finally better at 6 months out -- not gone but much much better. It really doesn't bother at night a anymore at all. But when it was bad, I babied it a little for awhile -- cut back on my walking and stairs, avoided any exercise that caused even a twinge of pain, etc. That, and plenty of stretching, seemed to help it turn the corner. Hope you have answers soon.

Roxie
 
Hi Roxie, glad to hear that at 6 months things have worked out for you. That gives me hope. I'm sure hoping that will be my Christmas gift. I decided not to go to my aerobic pool class today, my knee is just too sore. I guess I had such high expectations for this point in time. And truly, it's not the end of the world. It's just a royal pain in the you know where. (And the knee as well)! Ahhh....at least it's 63 degrees in New England, that's a bright spot to enjoy. They claim it will be 40 tomorrow. Reality!! Boo Hiss!
 
@momweb

I'm sorry your IT band is still causing you trouble. You did read this, didn't you?
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

Your doctor and your PT may be able to help - some of the suggestions in the article need that help - but it's clear that doing more exercises isn't going to help.
 
I totally know about that pain in the you-know-where as well as the knee. We are having dreary cold rainy weather here in Kansas today and my knee is feeling it. Frustrating!

Roxie
 
@Celle I did, in deed, read the article, more than once, in fact. It's just so hard to sit around and do nothing! I'm such an active person and at this stage in my recovery, I was so hoping to be doing so much more!
 
It's just so hard to sit around and do nothing! I'm such an active person and at this stage in my recovery, I was so hoping to be doing so much more!
It will come - truly!

Remember that full recovery takes a year, or sometimes even longer.
I know it's hard, but you just have to find that elusive patience. :console2:
 
Hello everyone,
Thought I'd update you on the continued odyssey of my knee. I saw the OS today to discuss the results of the Nov 5th ultrasound. I reach the 5 month point on Nov. 22nd. For the most point things are going really well. I have one issue and that is the pain that continues to persists behind my knee. The ultrasound showed it to be an inflammation of the IT Band. The OS wants to discuss the results of the test with the radiologist and see if an MRI is warranted. The doc tested my leg in the office and for the most part I don't react to palpating the IT Band. However I hit the roof when he found the popliteus muscle, so he wondered if there was some tendonitis with the popliteus tendon. There could also be some scar tissue there or the possibility that a tendon is rubbing against the implant. He said they work so hard to be sure that doesn't happen, but sometimes it does.

After his conversation with the radiologist he may want to do an ultrasound guided injection of cortisone into the area of inflammation. So many possibilities. Of course, with Thanksgiving next week, nothing is going to happen for another 2 weeks. He did give me a script for Vicodin for at night and requested that I use the Voltaren gel twice a day to see if that helps.

He'll see the radiologist tomorrow and we'll go from there. In the meantime, it's same old, same old. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! And for those who don't celebrate, have a great weekend.
Sue
 
Nasty rainy weather here in PA. It is totally frustrating to have to still be fighting to get the knee to behave!!
 
Thanks @Celle I've seen and read that article before. Life in the slow lane takes lots of patience which I have most days. It's the waiting for the answers that can be taxing on the "patience gods". But I guess that's true in most things in life, the unknown always causes the most angst. Oh well, giddy up horsey!!:)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom