TKR The Odyssey of My Newfangled Knee

Hi mom web. Glad you're having a good time on vacation. My surgeon told me to stop therapy for 2 weeks. He put me on an NSAID and to come back in 2 weeks to see if pain subsides. Just the opposite of what the therapist say to do. I'll go with Doctor!!
 
This is our third day of vacation in Arizona. I've discovered that I can walk really well in the morning for about a mile. After that because of the hilly terrain, the pain behind my knee kicks in big time making it difficult to manage the hills especially going down. Unfortunately, since this a part of the country I've never been to before, I refuse to be held down and grin and bear it. We just take our jaunts very slow. My husband has been the best! When this is over, I'll have to do something very special just for him!!:angel:
 
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. And give your husband a big, thank you hug from me for being so patient and understanding! I still haven't tried hills yet. Give yourself a pat on the back for being brave enough to walk in hilly terrain.
 
It's so good to hear you are having fun. It's just what you needed. Your husband is a super star. Hope the weather has been warm before you have to go home. Be careful of those hills. Patience is not one of my virtues to but slowly it is finally getting better. Have a drink for me. Lol :heehee:
 
So glad you're enjoying your AZ trip. I was there last year when I was about 6 months post op from my first TKR; driving, hiking, and exploring around the Verde Valley. I even went horseback riding, and yes, I was barely ready- the knee would stiffen on hikes and from sitting in the saddle. You're doing it better- hanging out in a heated pool is the way to go!
 
Glad to hear you were enjoying your trip despite the hills and the badly behaved knee! Please update once you've had your scan, very interested to hear what they say.
 
I was barely ready- the knee would stiffen on hikes and from sitting in the saddle.
Ha! Ha! The saddle is one of the things that is an improvement for for me--the one thing at this point that is definitely better than before the operation--no more pain when I post or stand in my stirrups. Now riding in a car for long periods is different--definitely stiffen up--especially at the back of the knee.
 
Oh believe me, I tried everything. By the end of the third day, just walking out the door of the hotel gave me the shivers! The ultrasound is tomorrow afternoon. I'm a little nervous; not about the test, but the results. What if the results show nothing? Then what? I guess I'm a little worried that the tests will show nothing and yet I'm hoping it shows something. At least then the docs can figure what to do about this pain. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow, wish me luck!
 
will be thinking of you tomorrow ... sending lots of luck by overnight delivery ... if you give me your doc's address, I'll send some there as well!
 
Raffs,SarahJane, Thesoutherncook guess what? I'm not nuts!!!! :rofsign:I just got back from the ultra sound. The technician was wonderful, she tried so hard to find whatever it was that was causing me pain, but could only find a little fluid, so she sought out the radiologist. He came, looked at the images and ran some images of his own and came to the same conclusions: I have about a cm of fluid in the knee joint! Probably not enough to cause any pain. :bawl:I wanted to cry right there. As I was leaving another radiologist came and introduced himself. He was the one the technician was trying to get, but he was in another procedure. He was the muscular-skeletal radiologist, lucky me!! :thumb: He looked at my images and asked if I wouldn't mind if he ran his own? Nope, go for it.

So, as he was running the gel around, he was explaining some things to the technician when he said, Ah, ha, there it is!! There's what, I asked? There was inflammation all around my IT Band. That was what was causing all my pain. YEAH!!! I knew I wasn't making this up!!:yahoo: Now what? Nothing surgical, thank God!! Usually a high dose of anti-inflammatories and taking easy. (Not sure if I can take it any more easy for very much longer). The thing the OS has to figure out is, what is causing the inflammation?

At least now we know what is causing the pain, now we have to make a plan to solve the problem. I'm ready!!:happydance::dancy::yay:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad your concerns weren't unfounded. These knee issues always remind me of when I'd be driving a car when I was a teenager and it would make weird, scary noises, but never when I tried to show my dad. Thank heaven for ultra sounds, MRIs and X-rays.
 
:yes!::happydance:YEAHHHHH! Well, not yeah that you have a problem but YEAHHH that you finally have a diagnosis! I'm sure there is much relief in the conformation that you are not crazy!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The worse part @KarriB was if that other radiologist hadn't come in, I'd still be at square one. Thank goodness he was able to make it in before I was out the door. I know exactly what you mean about the car analogy. I've felt that many a times. Just not today!!
 
I'm just glad you have an answer and now can try to solve the problem. Hit the recliner again :elevate:
 
Very glad to hear you're not loosing your mind and imagining things. And even gladder that there's an explanation and a plan of action!
 
Great news! Well, not great news that you have inflammation, but now they can treat it!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom