THR The marvels of recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small world

@Granny Di, it sure is a small world! It's nice - comforting and uplifting - that people with common experiences and histories can connect despite time and distance. It happens in the physical world, too, but a forum like this with international reach makes these connections so much more likely!

I have deep respect and downright affection for Sick Kids and the Canadian system of heath care, frankly. Cheers to you!
 
It's been a rainy day here in New York. Last night, the rain was so intense that it woke me up and I had an irrational impulse to ask my husband to get up and make sure we weren't about to float away. There was a National Weather Service alert in the evening about flash flood warnings, and we live near the Brooklyn Navy Yard, so somehow, I was convinced that the street outside would be a running river.

Rainy days and Mondays ... Actually, this whole week promises rain, so it's back to doing laps in the building corridors and walking inside the apartment for me. Perhaps there's a hidden benefit to the fact that I keep catching myself moving about very inefficiently - I get some accidental exercise. It's frustrating. I start down the hall to do something - go into the bedroom to fetch my book, for example, and forget the pack basket that I use to transport stuff while my hands are taken up with crutches, then turn around again because I forgot the water bottle that I also wanted to refill. It's little things like that that magnify common movements. What's frustrating is that just taking a few steps to do something small like fill my water bottle or refill the ice tray is something I can't do right now without the extra effort of coordinating crutches.

Well, this, too, shall pass. I had a dream the other night that I set aside the crutches and walked normally. Without a limp, too. Gee, I'm looking forward to that!

Ah - truth - I am looking forward to being able to do whatever the heck I want to do. Of the BoneSmart mantras, the one that is the most difficult for me is "if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it." I get frustrated when things aren't done the way I want them to be. The other day I worked on my golfer's bend because I just couldn't stand the way my husband and son had loaded the dishwasher! There's stuff on the kitchen counter that doesn't belong there! But I'm trying to let things like that go. Let it go, Julie. Nobody will die if the Febreeze doesn't get put away right now.

On a more positive note, recovery is a really good and productive time for knitting. I'm winding up a summer tank and a shawl. A second shawl is already in the project bin. It should also be a good time for reading; it hasn't been yet, largely because I was so dozy early on.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Julie @JulieJF ! You must be hoarding all the rain over there - send it this way, we'd love to see it. Must make it hard to get out though, and very annoying as you are improving more and more. Love the way you talk to yourself 'let it go Julie', I can imagine you muttering as you putter along! Sure to get sense that way!

The golfer's reach is great once you practice it - at first, I used to just use it to pick up a dropped sock or To Do list, and flinched at the idea of trying to pick up the dog's water bowl to clean and refill - but now (a whole month further on than you are) I have even used it to pull out some weeds!! I have been eyeing them up, and as the only puller-upper in the house who cares, it was bugging me a lot to just leave them. I know nobody would die, but I wanted THEM to die before breeding... there are a fair few to murder yet, but I will get to them one at a time.

I am doing almost everything I want to now - oh, tying my own shoelaces is still on the list, but that will be four more weeks till I'm allowed. The only thing I don't like doing is sitting very long - still get fidgety and uncomfortable - that is why I still love my bed!

Your limpless dream will come true, you are walking straight towards it.
:walking:
 
@Great Aunt Janet

I would love to share this rain - especially with another gardener! Thunderstorms and rain dot the forecast here for the next ten days. Today, I'm looking at 100% chance of heavy rain. It is frustrating to feel sort of stuck inside as I'm gaining stamina and freedom! I haven't figured out how crutches and an umbrella would even work unless I'm being escorted like royalty by an umbrella carrier.

I empathize with your need to murder weeds which is a completely defensible use of the golfer's bend. I long for a patch of dirt, which, living in Brooklyn, is one thing I don't have. Before we moved, I had gardened everything on our property - no grass. Anyway, get those weeds before they take over!

One of the things that I've had to let go are some of my house plants. Until I went into the hospital, I had a lovely Fukien tea bonsai. My husband has been and continues to be a wonderful caregiver. He's patient, he's thoughtful, he's supportive, and he's shouldering all of the chores around here. I'm supremely fortunate. My plants, however, are not. Most of them have bounced back, but I lost a couple in those first two weeks. Ah well.
 
Tres amusant, @JulieJF - talking about the unspoken meaning in your list of your beaut man's attributes and kindnesses - "bonsai basher" ... oh woe, I know what you mean - mine watered the top cm of my pots every day, not exactly what I asked, but yes, you have to just let go of some things. And it will give me an excuse to go shopping.

Sorry to hear you have no dirt and too much rain - I am the other way round (although my dirt is mainly sand, and I do have a lot of artesian water I can use), so we could definitely do with some half and halfing. Must be tough, although you can lavish more attention than I ever give to my potted things. I am a bit of an absent minded gardener, always delighted when things actually grow here. In a couple of months (our autumn), I am going to start digging paths and new beds out, moving decent soil in and doing a proper plan. I can hardly believe I feel that I am going to be able to do this - but that is a definite!

Needed your shawl today, it is just 3 degrees this morning - but no aches in new hip. :)
 
@Great Aunt Janet

LOL! Bonsai Basher, Bane of Bay, Rough on Rosemary, Obliviator of Orchid. Thank you...that was cathartic! :loll:

@Gummy Bears

This learning to let go is HARD. I get so frustrated by what my husband and my son are willing to let slide. And they, in their turn, get frustrated with the things I complain about. Well, we have some friends staying in our apartment this weekend (we'll actually be gone - driving up to my in-laws), so the place is getting straightened up as we speak!

I did my part today, straightening and cleaning the table-top surfaces and cleaning for as long as I could stand. It's interesting, this toe-touch constraint.

Things you just can't do on crutches:
  • vacuum
  • transport a cup of coffee
  • carry any open beverage
  • carry your own plate of food
I'm sure I'll think of more. I've developed work-arounds for everything on this list (I fill up a travel mug, drop it into my pack basket, and pour hot coffee into my regular mug like a civilized person, for example) except for vacuuming. Alas. I have to pass along that chore for another few weeks. :yes:
 
I am sure that it is a HUGE thing to deal with.

An aside- the first time you mentioned the toe-touch restriction, I thought you were literally not supposed to reach down to touch your toes. Glad I took a few moments to think that one through.
 
except for vacuuming. Alas. I have to pass along that chore for another few weeks
Very good idea @JulieJF . Vacuuming is a tough one. Most people don't realise the amount of twisting involved in that activity.
 
@JayP

You made me laugh! For sure, I'm not reaching down to touch my toes either. But for these first six weeks, all I'm allowed to do is about 20% weight bearing, touching my toes to the floor and supporting myself with my upper body and the crutches.

I stumbled the other day and caught myself with my operated leg. No problems or pain, but man, I could tell how WEAK the major muscles in my leg will be once I can start to use them more. The major work of rehab will start then!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@JulieJF for some reason I've not been getting notified about posts on your thread so missed a lot. Just caught up now as you ended up on the new post list.

Today was predicted heavy rain and thunderstorms, well we had two claps of thunder, no rain at all and a very hot muggy sort of day. I was hoping for rain as my herb pots are looking a little worse for wear. Hubby is like yours great at doing the basics, he has done all the cooking, cleaning and washing, but those little things do get missed. I've been out and managed to water the pots using small cans of water, hopefully they will survive. My houseplants really are not looking great, apart from the orchids and they don't mind going dry for a while.

Its good to hear you are managing well though, and I hope you enjoy your time away at in-laws.
 
Right- weak from non-use and the surgery itself. I was allowed weight as tolerated. It wasn't until about 3 weeks that it felt "ok" to try a few seconds of full weight bearing. I guess from all the surgical trauma and nerves recovering- it still feels odd. I have to consciously engage my core and glutes.
 
Hello @JulieJF I hope you enjoy some time out to your In-laws!
And hello @JayP it's been a while!
I had my first PT session today (even though the limp indeed worked itself out) and it became clear I've got some work to do to strengthen that leg! All in good time.
Enjoy your weekend everyone!
 
Seriously! Letting go is the hardest thing ever! I can relate. I realized the other day that I can't find anything in the kitchen because all of my "helpers" have put them away where they think they go! I have lost control and guess what?! I am ok! I am ok! I am ok!
Now I wonder how my classroom will be since a substitute closed it down~ tomorrow is another day! Sigh!
 
Travel and the energy drain...

I traveled this weekend from Brooklyn to central New York for a college reunion weekend. Fortunately, my in-laws live about 30 minutes north of the college (can you guess where I met my husband?), and we stayed with them. Much easier on the body.

I'm officially wiped out, though. The car ride is about 4.5 hours. I got out to stretch and walk twice on the way up and only once on the drive back home. Sitting the car for that long (especially on the return trip!) was the most uncomfortable part of the travel experience and kicked up the swelling in my knee.

Being at the reunion was nice and frustrating at the same time. We wanted to see some of the new buildings on campus, but I had to confine myself to seeing only one of them. I had to call upon the golf carts used as campus taxi, because our class's reunion dinner was I felt good and was able to walk quite a bit, but now I'm seeing what others mean by inverse hip pain. My hip itself doesn't hurt after all of Saturday's activity, but my hands feel abused from the crutches, my shoulders are sore, my feet and calves hurt...and man, oh man, am I tired! I'm planning to make Monday a day of total rest.

A new experience of crutches: I am aware of how often people look away from people on crutches, as though embarrassed or uncomfortable, but I've never stopped to think that through. Of course, about an equal amount of the time, I experience that people make eye contact and go out of their way to be friendly and helpful to me as I make my way around on crutches ... but back to the people who avoid eye contact and are uncomfortable. One woman at our reunion asked that kind of door-opening question, "How are you? I hope all is well," with a glance at the crutches which is a clear invitation to say what gives. So I told her about the hip replacement and her immediate response was, "Oh good. I was afraid you maybe had progressive MS." Oh...that's what's going through peoples' minds!
 
Oh my goodness, she said that?!
Did you wear compression socks in the car? We are driving to upstate NY (7 hour drive) in a few weeks and I dread it if I have to wear them!
I'm pretty beat, my husband is under the weather so I'm taking on everything with the kids, prepping g for school/work tomorrow plus disenfectimg the house and cars in hopes it doesn't spread to us. What a pain! Guess I should be off to bed. Another full day tomorrow, oh what I would give to sleep in!
When do you see your surgeon for f/u?
 
@Gummy Bears

Yup, she did, indeed! It's funny, I was strangely glad that she said that. Call me oblivious, but it was good for me to hear out loud the assumptions that others might be making. When I shared her comment with my husband and said that hadn't occurred to me, he assured me that it had occurred to him! I guess I appreciate the insight into people's discomfort, and I hope that makes me even more compassionate and kind to others in the future.

I didn't wear compression stockings in the car. My surgeon's nurse said to get out and walk every hour which I didn't quite make happen, but I didn't get the impression that that was for clot prevention. Rather, I thought...and felt...that that was because of physical discomfort and a need to stretch and walk. Just getting back home and walking to our apartment made me feel so much better. For your drive, I wouldn't worry about TEDS, but do get out and stretch whenever you can and you feel discomfort setting in. Just stopping for a few minutes, getting out of the car, and walking a short distance is all that you need to feel whole again.

Sorry to hear that you're taking the primary role in cleaning and keeping everyone healthy! Remember to take care of yourself, too. Four weeks out, we still need to rest and recuperate. That really got brought home for me this weekend. One of my former college roommates works in a hospital setting in San Francisco, and she has assisted on hip replacement surgeries in the past. She was amazed that I made it to the reunion at all and kept encouraging me to take care of myself and heal! So take care of yourself and heal, too!

I go back to see my surgeon for a follow up on June 16. I'm looking forward to seeing those x-rays and moving forward with PT!!
 
Hi @JulieJF just checking in, I think your 6 week post op was today? Mine is next week bc my OS is off tomorrow. Hope all is well!
 
Happy New Year to everyone here!

I just looked back at this thread and can't believe I fell off posting at six weeks. My six week surgical check up was good. I asked my surgeon about my scar -- which is pretty enormous compared with my mother-in-law's scar which she claims she can now barely see -- and he gave me a very friendly chiding. He said, "You can't compare your recovery with anyone else's. Your surgery was very complicated." Glad to know I put him through his paces. :heehee: Overall, the implant looked good and my surgeon took me off toe-touch restrictions. He actually said, "You have no restrictions now. Have at it." I can tell that he wants to see what this particular implant can do, as the dual mobility joints are still fairly new for HSS.

Thinking of Josephine, I spent a month just walking before I actually started PT. I'm glad I did it that way. It gave me time literally to get two feet under me again and take recovery slowly. My husband and I started doing some walking tours of Brooklyn from a book that he got me when we first moved here two years ago. The inside cover is inscribed, "For when you get your hip done..." Finally, we were able to use it and do some walking tours in our neighborhood. In truth, though, I was anxious and frustrated on those early walks. Being on the sidewalk with other people made me a bit crazy at first. I couldn't zig when they zagged, and I got tired so quickly. I also experienced some pain in the hip and hear clicking when I started to get tired, so that contributed to anxiety. Later, my PT said that when I got tired, the clicking was me using the joint rather than the muscles in my leg for mobility.

Started PT in July, and that went well. The therapists had never had a patient with the dual mobility joint and they seemed excited to put it through its paces as well. I've gained a range of motion that I never had before in my life. Because my hip replacement was due to congenital dysplasia, I had always had a severely restricted range of motion. I've never sat cross legged or crossed my left leg over my right, for example, and I never was able to rotate my torso to the left when I was sitting, so in the passenger seat of the car, I would twist around to my right if I had to get something in the back seat. I still have stretching and strengthening to go, but I'm almost able to cross my left leg over my right. So close!

Actually, the worst part of PT and the longest thing to recover has related to my left knee. My surgeon said that he had to stretch my quads and hamstrings quite a lot to accommodate the new leg length. Consequently, those muscles are terribly tight, and I am experiencing tendonitis in the patella tendon. In August, before my son went back to school, we went out to see a play. By intermission, I was nearly in tears my knee hurt so much from sitting with it bent and restricted.

These things are slowly getting better, though just in the last two days, I had a set back with my knee. Feels like I strained something in the knee, so going up or down stairs is agony. Rest and icing for now, and I must get back to stretching religiously! I got a bit lazy over the holiday with the arrogance of feeling normal, so I haven't been stretching as I should.

In retrospect, although I have tried to let go of expectations and just let recovery happen at its own pace, I can see that I haven't been perfectly patient with myself. At each milestone, I felt as though that should become the new normal, and of course that's not realistic. There have been set backs, stalls, and the need to rest!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom