TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Those strolls around the yard can work wonders. I agree with the other commenters re: the drugs--let your knee pain be your guide.
 
Knee #2, Week 5

At least I think it's Week 5... Anyway, PT is progressing. achieved some revolutions on The Bike yesterday. Also achieved a bit of swelling and achyness. At least I have today off :ice:

When I first joined Bonesmart I started following some people who were a month or so ahead of me. While great for inspiration, it is a sad feeling to see them posting less and less. Like the end of summer camp when friends must part and return to the real world. At least @SusieShoes has been made a counsellor, so Camp Kneerah is in good hands.
 
@Pheebs52, I believe putting off PT for 3 weeks helped. I was ready for some movement. The therapist was pleased enough to put a star sticker on my hand(!)...but after reading about The Bike here, I knew just what to do.
 
The bike may be "your" exercise. My mom swears by the bike, which was all she did after a few weeks of knee bends and stretches, and her TKRs turned out great.

It's a natural cycle, and even part of a good recovery, that people visit most before and right after their surgeries, then as they return to their lives, knees happy and healed, they move on. Some people stay on because they like to help others :wave: or because their recoveries are slower, or they suffer complications. I miss people when they outgrow the forum, but I like to think that when we no longer see someone, that means they're doing wonderfully. :loveshwr: :biking: :bicycle1:
 
At my PT place they rang a bell the first time you could make rotation on the bike. Sounds like fun, right?

Not so. I was 3.5 weeks post op, had not found Bonesmart yet, so I “knew I had to work really hard in PT” so I forced the rotation, crying from pain, so they’d ring the bell for me. They did! I continued to force rotations and paid for it later.

They told me to just rock the pedals until I felt I could go all the way around, and I probably would have just done that if they hadn’t tempted me with a prize of sorts. Live and learn!
 
No prizes offered for me, but everyone, self included, let out a big "WhooHoo," and clapped when I finally made a surprise rotation at around 14 weeks, lol. I was stunned and so were they!
 
The star was a complete surprise to me. I think the threapist just did it on the spur of the moment. My ROM is in acceptable limits (103/6 or so). They had been telling me I was on the quivering edge of a full revolution, so I gave it a try. Over it went and no pain.

Back to it tomorrow. Both knees are full of zingers tonight and that's probably a good thing.
 
wowza, good for you rubyyarn...well-deserved gold star. hope the zingers settle down a bit after working their magic healing on your knees.:wink:
 
Well done Ruby. You definitely deserve a gold star for the staggered approach - as well as the revolution of course. I am looking forward to doing my 2nd knee the BS way from the start (although not looking forward to having it done) as I suffered for at least a month with knee #1.
 
@kmak81230, I think it can be taken as a given that the first month of a knee replacement is the absolute pits! Anyone who sails through that time is a rare individual indeed.

Whether to stage or not is a personal decision...I just didn't want to spend a year or more anticipating another surgery. Also, docs sometimes move on or the insurance changes or whatever.

And I'm REALLY glad I don't have to do this again!
 
Ever since I started PT, my leg (and sometimes both of them) aches in spite of ice and Percocet. It probably doesn't help that I've been trying to stretch the Percocet to every 8 hours.

The therapy involves massage to loosen the hamstrings, and stretching. Nothing aggressive. And the exercises have helped a lot. I walk more easily. It's just that dull, grinding ache that never lets up.

I guess I'm just complaining. Overall mine has been a good recovery. It just isn't all roses and unicorns.
 
Sorry to hear you have aching today. It seems no matter how good our recoveries have been, there’re always those days where our knees remind us they’re not yet done with healing. Bossy things! I sure hope someday they quiet down and stop yammering!
 
You are still in the "dog" days of recovery - better than the "dark" days, but not yet at almost normal knee. The dog days last a long time which is so trying on our patience. I suppose if it was all roses and unicorns we wouldn't need BS - and then we wouldn't have met all of these great folks who share our journey. Hang in there!:flwrysmile:(it's not a rose, but daisies can be pretty too!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
PT went well today, maybe because I accidentally took an extra dose of Percocet (!) The Bike was smooth and easy and the exercises not as painful. Go figure. Nighttime will tell.

I'm beginning to think that warmth is the key to dealing with achyness. I spent today in sweat pants and shirt and was much more comfortable :happydance: Ahh, the little things that make life worth living...
 
Seems I alternate good days with bad nights, especially when I try to reduce the Percocet. Yesterday the knees did pretty well, only wanting drugs about every 8-9 hours. As soon as the lights went out, Knee #2 started twitching and wandering. A dose of Tylenol did n't help much, and there was no good position for the ice bag.

At around 4:00A I headed for the recliner and spent the rest of the night with the cat. Surfed the internet for a bit and finally fell asleep.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom