TKR The Knees and Me - staged

Sometimes it seems as the pain gets better everything else just becomes more annoying. Restless leg appears at this stage and disrupted sleep is still hanging on. You’re really handling it well. Going with the flow is the only sane way to go about this. :shrug:
 
Thanks, @SusieShoes! Guess at this point going with the flow is the only option :dubious:

This must be the I Hate Nighttime phase...
 
I remember hating the thought of it being bedtime. That lasted for only a few weeks. It definitely gets better!
 
This must be the I Hate Nighttime phase

Sorry to hear that nights are rough. My ice pack is my best friend at night--I've learned to place one on my right knee preventively when I first get into bed (right knee rarely bothers me during waking hours but often tunes up at night).
 
If I am lucky, Percocet + ice bag will get me 2 - 3 hours of sleep. But if I don't sleep right away...oh, brother!
 
My ice machine was my best friend for many months! I iced the whole time I was sitting, and the first 2 months, while I was in bed, too!
 
Sending some Special Sleeping Pixie Dust your way @rubyyarn!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Knee #2, Week 6

Both knees are cranky today, so I'm blaming it on the weather. Cool and rainy, quintessential November.

PT yesterday went well. Everyone was all excited because a 'fugitive' was spotted in the area, carrying a gun. By the end of my session the guy was an MS-13 gangster and snipers were waiting to pick him off. The news only said he had abandoned a stolen car and was probably not a threat. Who knows?

Got my TKR Tough t-shirt yesterday. Looking forward to wearing it to PT tomorrow :heehee:
 
In many ways this knee is a bit better than Knee #1, but worse painwise. I'm still at 4 Percocets/day, occasionally 3. And I still beef it up with Tylenol or ibuprofen. It seems that without extra energy stored up, pain is more of a problem.

Walked 500+ feet yesterday without the cane, so that Medicare goal is reached. Last PT session my therapist told me that day was her last. She's moving to Tennessee. So who knows what I'll draw this week? I do hate breaking in a new one.

I see the doc on Wednesday. Hopefully I can pull off the Healthy Patient act. The health is there, the ROM is there, but the pizzaz is not. I feel like a worn out sock.

So, enough griping. Time for tea and hope the Tylenol fumes go away soon.
 
so that Medicare goal is reached
I'm curious about these Medicare goals. Is this something related to PT? A way they're showing progress to Medicare?

In any case, sorry to hear that you're still feeling the energy drain but not surprised given what your body has been through. It's been a little over 3 months since my second surgery--I can't pinpoint when things shifted for me but they did shift (as long as I get enough sleep) and they will shift for you.
 
Is Medicare requiring PT?
 
I think the way it works is Medicare will cover 12 PT sessions, so that's what the doc prescribed. There is a form that I fill out at the first session that documents what I can do...like pick up a bag of groceries, walk 500 feet unassisted, etc. The same evaluation is done every 10 sessions. The paperwork is a silly waste of time in my opinion. At 200 pounds I'm never going to hop or jump unless a bear surprises me. Same for running.

I do pay attention to goals like walk a distance, get in and out of a car, ADLs. Since I can do all of that, I'll consider PT done after I see the doc Wednesday.
 
@Josephine, I'm taking Percocet 5-325mg 3-4 times per 24 hour period. If I'm feeling inflamed overall, I'll take 200mg of ibuprofen. If I plain ol' hurt, I'll take 1000mg Tylenol. Usually I don't need the extra drugs, but if it is rainy or PT has been intense, I'll take them.

For Knee #1, I was in excellent health, full of vigor and positive mood. I did Knee #2 three months later, about the time my vitality was beginning to return. I've done OK with the second knee, but the zip just isn't there. I nap more and drag around more in general.

Just doin' time, as DH would say :ice:
 
Medicare does not require PT. I never took it and they paid for the normal charges of a tkr. @rubyyarn, PT should never leave you so sore that you have to take pain meds afterwards. That PT is doing your knee no good at all. You are so active you don't even need anymore PT.

I can surely understand why you are so wiped out. You have had two major surgeries in 3 months. You body hadn't gotten over the first one and bam, you have another one. Sleep as much as your body wants. When you are sleeping your body is recovering even more!
 
@sistersinhim, Medicare doesn't require PT, but it will cover 12 sessions. The doc prescribed it, and it did help me up to a point. The rehab place might be looking out for their bottom line. Anyway this will be my last week :)
 
I was also prescribed PT, but didn't need it. This being your last week is a big turning point for you! Another big step made toward that finish line!
 
I'm taking Percocet 5-325mg 3-4 times per 24 hour period. If I'm feeling inflamed overall, I'll take 200mg of ibuprofen. If I plain ol' hurt, I'll take 1000mg Tylenol.
Like I said, ibuprofen is rubbish for pain and it doesn't work on post-surgical swelling either. I suggest you take the Tylenol 3 times during the day instead. It's a very underrated pain med.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom