Bilateral TKR The Historian - recovery diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit down today. Weather has been damp, and my joints have complained. I've moved back upstairs, which means I'm navigating steps six times a day. PT was tough on Thursday. So was getting caught up on spring cleaning. I miss having stamina.

You've had such a great recovery, it's probably hard to remember how recently your surgery really was!
 
You've had such a great recovery, it's probably hard to remember how recently your surgery really was!

Eight weeks on Thursday. But its still an emotional roller coaster.

For instance, a friend pointed out I'll probably have to postpone my little flatwater kayaking escapade. I'll probably not be able to get out of the kayak. Ditto any camping for the near term, since getting up from the ground is going to be a problem.

Then there's dealing with insurance. I need to come up with a return to work date.

Also anxiety about riding a bike again. I've not ridden in five months. I'll be rusty. And when I put a foot down I'll not know quite what to expect, since the foot is now in a different location from before.
 
Hi Historian, glad to hear you're doing well! I know it must be disappointing not to get back in the game so to speak, but just think where you were prior to March 8th! You've come a long way baby!!:friends:
I have a question, if can feed off of your experience. Did you use underarm crutches, walker or forearm crutches or a cane? Cause I'm thinking I'll start with a walker with 2 wheels, then progress to a cane, but now I'm thinking one cane probably won't be enough since I'm having both knees done. I would appreciate your input, thanks!
 
You will do just fine on the bike! Take it easy; take it gently at first; ride around an empty parking lot to get your bearings. Once you feel competent about your riding skills, then go out and go a little farther each time.

Mechanics is muscle memory; once you retrain your muscles how to work together now that everything is in concert, you will have a very, very enjoyable time.
 
Ditto what Tim says the bike will be fine.

What happened to me was that my body wanted to pedal in the same way I had pre-op. I had to concentrate to get it right (straight) because it was wonky before. You may get this effect in spades, I'd guess.

I'd take it a bit at a time, a day at a time, as Tim says, in that empty lot. You have had such incredible surgery that I'd guess your saddle height will be miles out, too.

But the magical thing, if it's like me, is that as you heal you will be able to put power through the knees, where you didn't even know you couldn't before. It's brilliant. I'm hoping not just to get back but to be better than before, and this will surely happen to you too!
 
Hi Historian, glad to hear you're doing well! I know it must be disappointing not to get back in the game so to speak, but just think where you were prior to March 8th! You've come a long way baby!!:friends:
I have a question, if can feed off of your experience. Did you use underarm crutches, walker or forearm crutches or a cane? Cause I'm thinking I'll start with a walker with 2 wheels, then progress to a cane, but now I'm thinking one cane probably won't be enough since I'm having both knees done. I would appreciate your input, thanks!

Once I could stand, I was using a walker, and a wheelchair when I wasn't walking. When I was discharged, I was using a walker. Four weeks after surgery I transitioned to a cane, and now I'm transitioning to walking without a cane. During this process I'm in outpatient physical therapy twice a week, and we are working on improving my walking and balance. Keep in mind your experience may be different, depending on the nature of your surgery and the instructions of your doctors and therapists.
 
catching up on your thread. It looks like you're doing quite well. :thumb:
 
catching up on your thread. It looks like you're doing quite well. :thumb:

At a Cinco de Mayo party.....




Little joke here in that I'm the only non-drinker at the party and I'm wearing a shirt covered with references to beer.
 
Ditto what Tim says the bike will be fine.

What happened to me was that my body wanted to pedal in the same way I had pre-op. I had to concentrate to get it right (straight) because it was wonky before. You may get this effect in spades, I'd guess.

I'd take it a bit at a time, a day at a time, as Tim says, in that empty lot. You have had such incredible surgery that I'd guess your saddle height will be miles out, too.

But the magical thing, if it's like me, is that as you heal you will be able to put power through the knees, where you didn't even know you couldn't before. It's brilliant. I'm hoping not just to get back but to be better than before, and this will surely happen to you too!

Thank you.

I wonder about saddle height. My pants inseam hasn't increased much if at all. We will see when I get the bike serviced and fitted on Tuesday.
 
At a Cinco de Mayo party.....




Little joke here in that I'm the only non-drinker at the party and I'm wearing a shirt covered with references to beer.

In retrospect wearing shorts wasn't the best idea I'd ever had. My scars became a topic of conversation, ranging from multiple requests for my recent medical history to the statement from one guest that looking at them produced the "heebee-geebees" in him. I wound up giving more advice than I cared to for two people considering undergoing a knee replacement. Next time I go out I wear pants.
 
(Wolf whistle!) Nice straight legs! And maybe, in spite of yourself, you helped those two people out. But don't blame you for not wanting to be a major topic of conversation.
 
Another victory! I can now shower standing up. This is a big plus because I hate the shower bench. I flooded the bathroom whenever I used it, it was a pain to set up, and it took up so much room. The bathroom is tiny as it is - I once joked if it were any smaller using it would be considered self-abuse - so getting rid of the transfer bench is great.
 
Lord, how little it takes to make us TKRers happy:th_heehee:. Congrats on another of those small but important milestones that let us know that we really are getting better.
 
Lord, how little it takes to make us TKRers happy:th_heehee:. Congrats on another of those small but important milestones that let us know that we really are getting better.

Weight Watchers uses the phrase "non-scale victories" for achievements aside from weight loss. I think it would be a good idea to adopt the same thinking here.

BTW, in the months before my surgery I'd given up showering on days I didn't need to because it was too painful for me to stand for so long. So this is an improvement over my life "on the other side." Good for me to remember when the length of the recovery gets me down.
 
Hi Historian.... Just loved your user name, so had to drop by and say 'ello'

I so want to ride my bike, but not quite there yet either...
 
Historian, I know what you mean about standing too long in the shower. I always think, do I really need to do this today? It is a pain staking task at this stage of the game! I'm glad to hear you hit another milestone.:thumb: Good for you!
 
Tuesday:

<b><b>
I don't know what happened but despite creaky knees from the wet weather I was on fire in physical therapy today. The therapist suggested we extend the session a few minutes because I was so strong. My walking is much improved, with a much smoother gait, and I handled steps very well. I'm coming along so well the aquatherapy we thought I'd need now isn't part of my therapy plans. Problem areas remain my tight left hamstring, my 'sleeping' quads, and the weak hip and glute muscles. Once the quads wake up, my hips and butt muscles get stronger, and that left hamstring gets close to zero extension I'll be unstoppable.

Commenting on the progress made, I said "we've done good - no, make that I've done good. No offense, but at the end of the day this is all my work." He was a little surprised to here it, but he agreed and said he wished more of his clients thought that way. "Too many people come in here thinking therapy is something I do to them."


Followed the PT session with a trip to drop off my bike for service, and some grocery shopping. Then I napped and took two Tylenol to get me through the night with sore knees. I wish the rain would stop.
​


</b></b>
 
<b>
Another productive day in PT. The Physical Terrorist, err, Therapist says I might be discharged after my next visit to the surgeon on the 21st. I think thats too soon but Im progressing so quickly that I might be ready in a couple of weeks. Today in addition to PT I walked around at WalMart, got an iced coffee at Dunkin Donuts, and picked up my bike from service.... and didnt use my cane once.

I picked up the bike and found it doesnt need a fit adjustment yet. I will raise the saddle a little but thats it. Havent decided about removing crankarm extenders yet. As I ride more I will make that call. Biggest problem will be maintaining balance when dismounting. Still very wobbly when doing it.​

</b>
 
<b><b>
I had a dream last night about my riding a bike tour. And not just any, but one I planned and scrubbed in 2011: Pennsylvania north to south on Bike Route G. In the dream I was riding from Jersey Shore to Lock Haven and thinking how flat it was along the river. Its not, but the rollers are managable, and aside fromMount Nittnay south of Lock Haven the G route is the flattest cross state bike route. Over 250 miles it hits several water gaps and uses 80 miles of rail trail.

Perhaps this is a sign I need to ride this route. I was going to do it with a friend, but I wound up going to Ohio instead. I have some vacation time in September. I should be in better shape then. Maybe in good enough shape to ride the G Route?​

</b>
</b>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom