Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Awww... Thank you @NightQuilter

So.....I love to quilt and have a wonderful stash of fabric. It's in storage right now, but when I have it in my quilt room, I lust love to look at it, squeeze it, and call it Charlie!!!

Thanks again for the kind words. We all do the best we can do.

Jen
 
On another note...I got my an explanation of benefits from my insurance. The total for all of the care and TKR was $56122.00! The surgery itself was $39250.000! I was only responsible for the $500 inpatient hospital copay (and probably another $100 for surgeon fees). Total for surgery this year is already $74000 and I hope to have another TKR.

I'm usually pretty cheap and low maintenance, but the body work is an arm and a leg!

I'm such a dork....

Jen
 
Another quilter!! @tashia , where are you!? I must admit, Jen, I've never called my stash "Charlie" and would love to know the story behind that, but boy, do I have a stash. Doesn't it just speak to you through touch! We redid our estate plans (such that they are) last year and my issue was what to do with my fabric when I roll off this mortal coil. My girls don't sew or quilt (yet, heh, heh, heh), so donate to the Girl Scouts or ....? You must pull some out of storage and start planning your "recovery quilt!" I did one after my hip replacements and it is still one of my favorites. Working to get comfortable behind a machine again is an important goal, especially since you likely won't be training for any marathons in the next month or so!

It sounds like you have an amazing insurance plan - congrats. That is wonderful ... would that everyone was so well-insured. We too, were fortunate for my miscellaneous surgical needs, but I rolled off insurance and into Medicare last June and now have to hurry up to take care of my neck as my phenomenal OS may stop taking Medicare at the end of the year.
 
It helped me to feel a bit normal and alleviated my cabin fever a bit.
When I went out for a short time, I began to feel much more normal---and normal is what we crave. Be prepared, though, after a jaunt for a bite to eat or just a drive, to find that you are very, very tired. I was wiped out after my first trip to see some of my colleagues and students.
 
I lost my best ever friend to cancer a little over a year ago. The ache hasn't gone away. You are lucky to have her sister to talk to and she is lucky to have you. I could tell my friend ANYTHING and she would never judge me and give me good advice when I sought it. Such friends are priceless. I am sad for you.
 
I have had two busy days this week and my baby knee survived. The only major issue was exhaustion, which I expected. I lost my balance a bit yesterday getting into my truck, but my mom was there and I grabbed onto her arm. My door was behind me so there was no danger of falling, but I don't know my new knee well yet and I was scared. You should know that my mom is 7 inches shorter than me and weighs much less than I do, and even though she's strong, what was she going to be able to do? We laughed about it afterwards, but my heart was beating fast and I felt so bad!

I got to spend the afternoon with Mara and family. We had a nice family dinner and talked about Meg and other positive things. I'm going to be able to speak at her service so I'm trying to decide if I should read her the letter I wrote her on the day she died, or come up with something else. I just feel so bad that I can't be with them every day because of my current knee limitations. Mara, Meg's daughter Bella, and I are going to make a picture board on Friday for the service. I can't wait to share some great stories and memories with her of her mom.

And....I drove for the first time today! It went great! I drive a Ford Escape and it's so much easier to get in on the driver's side. I just went 15 minutes away to Mara's, but it was a huge milestone for me.

Pain has been okay and I hardly take anything stronger than Tylenol for it. The outside of my knee is swollen and achey. I massage it several times a day to help it. The scar is coming along, just the one hotspot at the top that I keep covered so it doesn't snag. Should be fine soon!! I have stopped using lotion ON the scar, but I do use it on my leg. The skin is so dry! Been doing my exercises and really working on my gait and my quad muscle. I want to show the doctor next week that I'm ready for my RTKR in November. I ice at night and sometimes during the day on the outside swollen part.

No improvement on the insomnia though. I usually fall asleep around 6 or 6:30am and get anywhere from 4-6 hours. I listen to my body and nap when it's impossible to stay awake. And yes, even if I don't nap, I still can't fall asleep at night. I take Tylenol pm, hydroxyzine, and Trazadone in varying amounts and combos to help sleep along to little avail. Oh well!! It won't be a problem until I have to go back to work, whenever that may be.

My dad bought a new walker today on deep, deep discount. It's a rollator and when I tried it, I could walk normally! I might switch to using it full time until I move to a cane. Are there reasons against using a rollator? I know they aren't recommended for some reason, but it was sturdy and had good brakes. Just wanted to check!

Okay, time for reruns of Psych and The New Adventures of Old Christine!!

Hope all my fellow Bonesmartians are doing well.

Jen
 
@NightQuilter

I believe I once saw a Bugs Bunny cartoon (back when they were original and good!). One of the characters was either hugged by or was hugging Bugs and said something similar to the hugging and squeezing. I believe the Charlie part I made up cause I'm a huge dork.

Edited to add that I found the link:

BTW, I name almost everything, but I did not name my stash!!

Jen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Floridagal

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I realized today that in the last 18 months, I have lost my husband, a great aunt, my brother, my aunt, and one of my best friends/sister. It's so hard when you have such good memories and your heart hurts for someone you miss so much.

We can get through this.

Jen
 
Yes we all can get through, not because we want to but because we truly have no other options. Jen, my dear, you are providing such great support to your friend's family. They must need you so much right now. You are a good friend.
 
Hi Jen, am thinking of you. I can't believe all that you are doing. At this point I can't even imagine driving again! Wow!
I give you a lot of credit for helping your friends family. I know that is tough when you are feeling well, let alone when you are not 100%.
Wishing you a great day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jen, I read in another thread that you have pain and swelling in the back of the knee, what helped me was icing the back of the knee also, I have small gel packs and I used it on the back of the knee.

I hope you are feeling better soon!!!
 
Thank you @uva55. I did use it last night on the back of my knee. It feels better today! So, thank you!!! :)

I woke up feeling pretty awful this morning. I found out that I can still predict the weather! Ouch! I took some tylenol/tramadol and took a nap. I felt much better when I woke up. So much so that I feel like a new woman! I hope this is my "turning the corner" moment that so many people talk about. I know that I have to do a lot of strengthening still, but it has felt great for the last several hours. We'll see what tomorrow holds!

I'm anticipating an emotional day tomorrow as Meg's family arrives in Attica from Virginia. Mara and I are going to do the picture board for Meg's service on Saturday. Meg's daughter, who is 8, is going to help us too. I expect that to be difficult. But, we will get through. I have my speech all ready and I know that I am going to have trouble making it through all of it. But, I will do my best.

That's all on my front! Hope you are all doing marvelously!

Jen
 
Are there reasons against using a rollator?
Only if you have poor balance and are unstable with the rollator and/or cannot use the brakes properly. If you feel steady, and it improves your gait, the rollator is for you.
Condolences on the loss of your friend, sending positive thoughts to you and your friends family.
 
Only if you have poor balance and are unstable with the rollator and/or cannot use the brakes properly. If you feel steady, and it improves your gait, the rollator is for you.
Exactly. I haven't had TKR surgery yet but I use a rollator to help me (barely) manage living with my crummy knees. I love my rollator because it is so maneuverable, I can sit on it, and I can even carefully carry some things around the house on the seat. Like, say, my heavy gel ice pack which is on it right now. :) From what I hear, the sturdier non-rollator walkers without wheels on all four legs are recommended for the initial phases after surgery if there is any chance you might fall. During a fall, the ones without wheels on all four legs give you something to grab onto and keep from falling, sort of like a grab bar in the shower I guess. But if you grabbed the rollator it could roll away and not break your fall as much. Or something like that. LOL

So sorry to hear about your friend. Be careful that you do not push yourself too hard at the service, either physically or emotionally. :sad:
 
Thank you for your input @Pumpkln and @Carole4815 about the rollator. The one my dad got is awesome. It holds up to 650 pounds! I'm a big girl, but NOWHERE near that! It has cool wheels and great breaks. There's even a seat and it fits my big ole' butt too! I was thinking of using it on Saturday as there is a luncheon after the service and there will be folding chairs, which are difficult to get out of on the best of days. We'll see.

I'm glad that I'm 4 weeks into recovery because I would have gone to the service and been with my 2nd family no matter what. At least I'm a little more functional at this point. Besides, it is NOT about me at all.

Another question: Has anyone used Celebrex and Meloxicam together? Is there a contraindication for it? Just wondering. Thank you for your response in advance.

Have a nice night my fellow Bonesmartians!

Jen
 
Thinking of you today. It will be difficult to get through the day emotionally, but dont forget about that knee through the long day as well.
 
I know it will be a difficult day, don't forget to take care of yourself also!!!
 
Jen, thinking of you today and sending prayers/good thoughts to you and your second family. Also a long distance hug. (((Jen)))


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. I appreciate it. On my way now.

But first, I'm attaching a new picture of baby knee. Looking pretty good. She's ugly, but I don't care. Just a few areas to completely heal, but it's coming along. I was also able to take this picture with my leg straight up in the air!

Jen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    101416.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 245

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom