Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Wow! You all are brave! I'm still holding out on my left knee. Glad your appointment went well.
 
:yes!: You are doing great. Congrats on being on your way to getting the other knee taken care of next month. You will definitely be ready for next summer.
 
One of this things I want to be able to do next year is to get out of my kayak easily. I can get in it, but getting out is the problem! My boyfriend and I want to take a 5 day kayak trip down the Allegheny River in NY/PA. You paddle for a certain amount of miles a day and then camp overnight on different islands in the river. I'm nowhere near ready now, but I hope to be next year. If not next year, we will do it within 5 years, FOR SURE! I hope to log 500 or more miles in my kayak (her name is Shamrock or Shammy for short) next year. I only got to take her out once this year because of all my ankle stuff and then my knee stuff. I missed it!

I am also so glad I had what the PA called the "orthopedic moment." I have to say that I was worried that I wasn't going to have the moment where my knee just felt so much better and I had turned a corner in my recovery. I have to say that I think Saturday was that day for me. I am not a religious person at all, but I keep thinking that Megan was looking down on me that day and helped me navigate all those stairs at the church, get me through my speech, and made sure I was okay at the end of the day. At least it makes me happy to feel that way.

So, for those of you in the pre-op phase of TKR, it does get better and it may happen to you like it did for me! I hope everyone gets to experience the "orthopedic moment."

Jen
 
I'm so glad you had such a good report and get the go ahead to schedule your other knee. I hope to be not too far behind you. It is also great that l you have had your "orthopedic moment" and feel like you have turned a corner. I hope you continue to improve every day. Just be careful and don't overdo it because you are feeling so much better. Pace yourself and listen to your knee.
 
Wowza, Jen. That's great news. Two new knee with which to create a new beginning for you. I'm happy for you.
 
Jen, good for you...I am so glad your healing has gone so smoothly! And that you are excited to get your other knee done so soon. I am very proud of you, and your having goals for your future is a good thing. My goal is to finally get to a point where I don't have to use my knee as the excuse why I can not do something. Hope I get there.
Blessings to you
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I can relate about getting out of the kayak. I have to sit on the side and get out of it in knee deep water. Not something you want to do in the winter! I have a 3 person blowup style that isn't so heavy to carry and is easy to sit on it's side. I doubt I'd ever be able to get out of a 1 person one. You will get there and I can't wait to read about it next year!
 
Wow. One of my top 5 goals going into surgery was to be able to get out of my kayak (it's a sit-on-top). It's been hanging in my garage for over a year, unused, because the last time I used it I had to paddle out and tump over to get out of it. It was humiliating and painful.

You sound SO good. I can't wait for my orthopedic moment. Right now id take looking at the top stair without fear.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Baby knee is 5 weeks old today! I feel really good. Of course, I have some days that are more painful, but for the most part, I'm getting better every day! I actually made dinner tonight for the first time! I still can't stand for too long, but I'm not worried about this. I still have to remember that my right knee is bad and it needs TLC still too.

I called and made an appt. for outpatient PT, but it's not until November 1, so I have some time. We'll see how it goes! I'm going to continue to focus on getting rid of pain permanently, focusing on my gait, and getting rid of the crutches into the cane. Hopefully these are not too lofty. :)

Thank you everyone for all the support and kind words! This board has been wonderful! So happy I found it!

Jen
 
Good report! What's for dinner?

I'm doing the same, using my cane and focusing on walking correctly.
 
I made cheeseburger pie. It was well received. :)
 
Here is what the incision looks like as of 10.19.16. Just one small area at the top that has to heal completely and then I can move forward! It's still ugly, but I don't care!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    1019161420.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 267
Your knee is actually looking quite good, Jen. All those lumps and bumps will even out as time passes.
Keep up the good work!
 
Mine has all little bumps too. If I stick it straight up in the air, they flatten out a tad bit. Can I live my life with a leg up?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    image.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 246
@greatlakes
Your scar looks so good!!! Good for you!!

@mamazipp
I earned each and every one of my many, many scars and I embrace them! I always say, if I had to live through it, I want something to show for it!! Good thing I didn't become a model!! (eyeroll)

My scars usually keloid. This one is on its way there. Oh well!! Plus, it was already a healed incision from my TTT.

Jen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I look on my scars as badges of honour. It takes bravery to get through this and we've all been brave.
 
Mine is really keloid, and that's after 6 months. I don't think it really matters.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    image.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 287

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom