Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Mine was laughing the other day because my new knee has better bend and extension than the old one, and he asked me which knee I wanted him to work on!
 
Hello fellow Bonesmarties!

Thanks for the input everyone! Been taking it easy and working on my gait in earnest, but gently. I'm massaging the sore, tight spots during the day and it seems to help. Im hardly taking any painkillers, maybe once or twice a day. I do have refills and I plan to keep them on hand for as long as I can, especially since I'm just over 2 weeks out! I have officially been in the house for 14 days and I need to break free soon!!

I have one more Lovenex shot left, finally! Of course, I just read on the box today that it's made from porcine intestinal mucous (gross). And I consciously gave up consuming pork products 5 years ago. So, I will not be doing these the next time around....Who would have thought?

Well, I have a book to finish as sleep eludes me yet again!! If I could just be as exhausted at night as I am during the day, I'd be doing pretty well!!!

Football tomorrow! Go Oakland!!

Jen
 
If you're feeling the need to get out of the house I suggest going out to eat. Be sure you choose a restaurant that has a booth you can prop your leg up beside you, or a chair you can use across from you. I found it was a great way to get out and feel little pain afterward. It helped me to feel a bit normal and alleviated my cabin fever a bit. Also choose a time that is less busy so you aren't stuck there for too long.
 
@KarriB

That's a good suggestion. I'm just a nervous Nelly about being away from home base for too long! I'm sure I will be doing something soon though!! I also like going for drives in the Finger Lakes or along Lake Ontario, but these would make me be in the car with my leg down for too long.

Jen
 
I am happy for you. Those Lovenox shots are a pain. I can't wait till I finish with them. It is awesome that you don't have to take many pain pills now. I am glad you are doing so well.
 
I'm glad you've finished with the Lovenox shots. :yes!:

When you go out for a meal, look for somewhere with a bench or a chair, so that you can elevate your leg.
It's a good idea to choose a place that you can leave early, just in case you start to feel too uncomfortable.
As you heal and your stamina increases, you will be able to go out for longer and sit more comfortably in a restaurant.
 
I have been officially discharged from in-home nursing! Yippee!!! Another milestone. I should be done with PT this Friday. I finally called and made an appointment with my OS for 10/17/16. I hope to be much further along by that point. I'm sure I'm going to have to start outpatient PT, which is fine with me, for now. I hope to have a serious conversation with my OS and schedule my RTKR for November or December. I want to be a new woman with two good knees by next summer!!!!

I found out today that my immediate supervisor at work is leaving and her last day is 10/18. She is one of the main reasons I am going back to that job. Well, and the fact that I get short term disability. I have a question that maybe someone knows better than I do: If you received STD benefits over a period of months and then decide not to go back to that job, are there any repercussions (other than feeling like a horrible person)? I'm just trying to examine my options!

I hope everyone is doing well! I keep feeling better every day! I have some trouble areas, but it's tolerable. :)

Jen
 
Delighted you are progressing on to the next stage! I'm going to wait a bit longer for the other knee, but wow, to imagine life with two good working knees. Bliss.
 
My baby knee is 3 weeks old!!! I feel as though I'm doing pretty well. I have very mild discomfort and I no longer have to take my pain meds on a schedule. I have most discomfort on the lateral and medial sides of the kneecap. I still have a "knot" on the oitside. But I continue to massage the areas an do some stretching. Working diligently on my gait and standing exercises. My mood is better, although I had a rough patch last night at 3:30 (stupid insomnia!), but I got over it in a few hours. My sleep is all messed up, but at least I have the luxury of not having a schedule or needing to be anywhere the next day. I'll just keep on keepin' on!

I have a follow-up appointment with my OS o 10/17. I hope to be far enough along that he will consider scheduling my RTKR. We'll see!!

Goodnight Bonesmarties!!

Jen
 
Not knee related but I found out this morning that one of my best friends since we were 12, passed away unexpectedly. She was only 39 years old. She had two kiddos and a husband that are left behind. Hopefully the autopsy will give us some answers, but it's shocking and devastating nonetheless. Her twin is also one of my best friends, and I considered them both my sisters by choice. Up until my TKR, I would go to the twin's house and have dinner weekly and spend time with my second family. I used to live at their house in high school. It's so unbelievable we are all still in shock. I'm hoping to make it out of the house to go and spend time with them soon. This will definitely weigh on me.

Thank you for letting me share.

Jen
 
Jen, I'm so sorry. I can't imagine your pain. I will keep you and your second family in my prayers.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Jen, I am sorry for your loss, you are in my prayers!!!
 
So sorry for your loss, Jen. To lose a cherished friend is a terrible blow. I understand. My dearest friend died two years ago, and not a day goes by that I don't mourn her loss. But also, not a day goes by that I don't thank whatever powers may be for letting me have such a friend for so long. And that's the part I try to focus on. Mourn her, because people deserve to be mourned. And then remember her for all the wonderful things that made her uniquely her.

Let me pass on an idea for a gift to her children after they grow up. When my friend died, I started jotting down little memories of her. Just everything I could think of that she always would do or say, trips we made, things she liked. After a year, it was about 30 pages. I wrote it up so it would be intelligible to someone else, then gave it to her adult daughters. Of course, I asked them first if they would like it. Perhaps you could create such a thing now, to give to her children when they get older?

And re your knee, three weeks was the same time I started to feel vastly improved. I heeded all the warnings not to do too much too fast, but that was when I realized this probably was going to work! It's a great feeling.
 
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, Jen. :console2:
 
@ACDCJen When I stopped using my ice machine, I started using 8-hour ice packs at night. They're great and I highly recommend them. They're more like 5-6 hours instead of eight, but it's long enough to do the trick. I still use them most nights because I'm a chronic over-doer.

You can order these from Amazon, or pick them up at most WalMarts.
Cryo-Max Reusable 8 Hour Cold Pack - I bought the medium ones.
 
Jen, so very sorry for your loss. I hope you get some answers, but that doesn't take away the loss of your dear friend.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom