Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Yesterday and last night were just awful. My depression is always very physical and the grief I feel about my best friend's death has hit me hard. I didn't fall asleep until 4:30 am and got 5 hours, which isn't too bad I guess. Hopefully tonight is better.

On the plus side, I was discharged from PT today. I have to call about outpatient next week, but I'm in no rush!

Hope everyone is doing well. On my way out to dinner and visit my best friend (the twin of my friend who passed away yesterday). It's my first time out of the house since 9/17!!

Jen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine losing my best friend. I'm so sorry for your loss, Jen.
 
I did it! I did it! I finally got out of the house! My boyfriend Scott and I picked my friend Mara up from her house and went to dinner. Only out for about 3 hours, which was exhausting, but manageable. Mara and I got to reminisce about Megan, who passed away yesterday. It was cathartic and helpful for both of us. I even took an ice pad. I feel human again. Hope to get out more often now.

Thank you all for your support and kind wishes. It means a lot to me.

Jen
 
Sorry to hear of your loss. Glad you got to go out though. It was a form of therapy for you both, I'm sure.
 
I'm sure it was cathartic to be able to share memories and grief with Megan's twin. And great to get out for awhile.
 
Jen, I am so sorry to hear about your friend...such a loss at way to young! Such a devastating blow to her husband and young children. Prayers to you and them in the weeks that come. We are hear for support for all things!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Im glad you were able to get out and spend some time with a friend.
 
I'm glad you were able to go out, Jen. Taking Mara was a good idea and I think talking about Megan will have helped both of you.
 
Jen, so GLAD you were able to get out, I took my first shower today so nice when you can finally do the NORMAL things. It makes as. If of a difference mentally as physically. Good Luck and take it slowly... I think you Are doing wonderful eight your recovery!
Blessings,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@lene' isnt that first shower great! And Jen, that was probably the best thing you could do for your friend right now, is give her a safe place to mourn and talk about her sister.
 
Thank you everyone for the kind words. We're still all in a state of suspended shock and disbelief. For me, it just brings up the loss of my husband since I haven't really dealt with that fully yet. So, I'm just spending time with them and I'll probably be over there next week to help prepare for the service. I told Mara that I would love a chance to speak at the service if they have room. I feel I owe it to Megan. I'm not sure I can do it, but I am going to.

On the positive side, it was SO good to get out! I was out for 3 hours, but I was exhausted! I slept until 2pm this afternoon! With every surgery, I continue to be in awe of how much of a toll it takes on my body! But, I do feel as though that was the turning point for me, so it will be better from here on out. Can't wait to see my surgeon so I can get the other one scheduled (I hope he will do this for me) and then I can really work on being ready for the adventures I want to go on next year!

My incision is itching a bit, but it is healing well. It's dry, so sometimes it pulls off, but nothing reopens or drains, so I"m fine with it. I've been putting lotion on it to keep it soft. Nothing can hide the fact that it is super ugly, chunky, and keloiding already. I don't care one bit. Never have, never will!

Ok. Going to try to salvage the rest of the day by getting my football pool settled for this week and wrapping presents for my niece's birthday next week. Happy Saturday everyone and keep healing!

Jen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    1008161623a.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 257
Jen, is the incision totally closed? It looks like there are areas that are not fully healed, if that's the case I don't think you should use anything on it just yet. Wait until you speak with your OS before using lotion just to keep the incision clean.
 
@KarriB

There is one small spot at the very top that I keep dry or put bacatracin ointment on it rather than lotion. It's closed, just scabbed over. Thank you for your input!

Jen
 
Jen, my OS is adamant that I don't put lotion or ointment on my scar (it's completely healed). He says lotion and all that "****" (he's rather blunt) is a medium for bacteria and that a tough scar is a good scar. My skin was so dry I sneaked some plain Vaseline on it -- next day it was red. I think he's onto something about letting the wound heal naturally.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I agree with the others. Don't put anything on that incision until it is completely healed. Any of those lotions or creams could introduce infection.

It's also not a good idea to use bacitracin, unless you have a proven infection. Use of antibiotics "just in case" can promote the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Also, when I searched on google, Wikipedia said this: "antibiotics such as bacitracin have been shown to act as dermatological irritants and may slow healing".

Just leave you incision alone until it's completely healed. Then, you can use any moisturising lotion or oil that you like. Putting stuff on it now won't prevent the development of keloid scars.
 
I was not allowed to put anything on my insicion until it was 100% healed, my OS told me a minimum 6 weeks!
 
Thank you for the advice. I'm not trying to prevent keloids because I always get them regardless of what I do. I just used the lotion around my scar where the skin is dry. It's definitely not pink today, but I'll stop using anything until I see my doctor. It's weird too, my OS prescribed bacitracin for me right after surgery? I had a few "hot spots" where my skin touched together...could it have been for that?

Thank you for the advice! No sign of infection yet, but I want to prevent it as much as possible!!

Jen
 
Hi Jen @ACDCJen - just found your thread and read through it. You are an AMAZING woman! :wowspring: I am so wonderfully impressed with your humor, positive outlook and "can do" attitude through all of this ... and you certainly have been dealt some cards from a pretty stacked deck. Choosing an affirmative attitude makes such a difference in our recoveries, IMO. My sympathies on the loss of your husband and cheers for the way you have moved forward with life and job and relationships - and approached this recovery and pain management. You serve and will serve as such an inspiration for others. Thank you for trusting us with your journey.

I am so glad you are able to sleep ... even if not on the normal clock! :bored: Those first few weeks can be so frustrating when sleep is so elusive. I too found refuge in reading ... I used to lay on the couch with my feet up on the wall for hours ... I really took the "elevate" from the Bonesmart mantra to new levels! I also found gentle lymphatic massage (my therapist staying away from the scar area) to be wonderful in reducing the swelling, moving the fluids out of the lower leg, all of which significantly reduced the pain.

You go Jen!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom