Knee Infection* The girl with the two fake knees

Although it's keloid, Tabby, your scar will continue to fade a lot, so that it becomes much less noticeable.
 
Mine is purple and raised in spots. It looks like I've had jumping incisions!
 
So far, this knee one is looking pretty good! Most of the hard and raised spots are actually from the prior surgery, so I'm waiting to see what this one does! I'm attaching a picture of the scar on my arm. I was in a car accident and my left forearm was broken pretty badly. I have two rods and 12 screws in there to put it back together. I had one scar on each side of my arm. The top one spread so much, thankfully it's not too dark. The sad thing is, is that I specifically treated this scar with Cicacare strips to make sure it didn't keloid! The scar on the other side looks great, probably the best one I have anywhere! But this top one did not do so well. I guess it's a story if nothing else!

Knee is doing okay today. I am going to a Halloween Party at my sister's house in a bit. My costume is so great. I am going to be an ear of corn and I made it myself! Scott is going as a farmer. I grew up with a close group of cousins and we usually get together a couple of times a year to do silly and fun stuff. Long live the Kooky Kousins!!

Hope everyone is doing well!

[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees


Jen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jen, you sound so good. I hope you can post a pic of you as a Corn girl [emoji1]


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Here are two pictures from the Halloween Party last night. Scott was a farmer and I was an ear of corn! We were a hit! I'm just so glad that I can make my own stuff when I need to. It definitely broadens my options!

Jen

[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
[Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
 
I love it!!! [emoji1][emoji1]


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I had a rough day Monday, yesterday. Nothing major, just a little more pain and my right knee is joining the pain party en force!! There is also more swelling in my surgical knee, so today was a day of rest, elevation, and ice! I am pretty sure it's because of the weather getting colder (which I love, but my body does not!) I am still very pleased with the replacement so far, and it will just keep getting better! I do start outpatient PT on Weds instead of next Tuesday (thank you, cancellation list!) I'm practicing how to be a good advocate for myself!

Good news though! I borrowed a peddler from Mara's mom (the kind that just sits on the floor) and I was able to do 5 minutes of full revolutions on it tonight! I was able to set it further out in front of me to make it easier, but practice makes perfect! Trying to work on my gait with heel-toe and I do walk a lot better that way. I hope to be off the crutches with a cane by the end of next week. I have a funeral on Saturday for my cousin's wife, and I'll have to use my crutches for that, but maybe as early as Sunday for the cane? We'll see!!

I have been trying to keep up with all of the recovery stories and wish everyone healing vibes!!

Jen
 
Jen, great costume! I am so glad you are getting out and having some fun!! That is so good for you mentally! I am looking forward to the day when I can socialize again. Right now just a quick trip out once a day is all I can manage! I so want to go outside and play with my dogs, hubby is taking good care of them but he does not have the time to play with them. They are so active and this has been tough but they are hanging in.

Take it easy with your knee, make sure it is strong enough to get you through your second tkr. Two bad knees is Tough! No doubt about it!
Otherwise I think you are doing marvelous!
Blessings,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today is more of the same for my knee, somewhat painful, but definitely tolerable. I just took Tramadol+Tylenol and it seems to help quite a bit. Making sure to take it easy and not overdo it! I will be going out tomorrow for PT at 8am and then dinner with 3 of my friends at 5pm. Plenty of time in between to relax if need be. Tomorrow is also what would have been my 14th wedding anniversary, so I'm going to try to keep busy. I'll post more then. Just gearing up for it because it's been difficult since he's been gone.

But, for the best news.... I have the date for my RTKR!!!! It is November 28, 2016! I spoke to the scheduler and she is going to see which tests they do not need to repeat and set everything up for me. :) I'm so happy about this! The only hold up would be if the doctor insists on 12 weeks between surgeries. This would be about 11, which is fine with me! So, I hope it doesn't change once she talks to the doctor. I guess I will get to enjoy Thanksgiving before I have my right one done! I can't wait to be done with that and recuperating for adventures next year!

Jen
 
Your costume was so original! You did a great job! And wonderful news on getting a date for the other knee replacement!
 
I was doing some of my exercises tonight and I did the floor peddler again. I can get all the way around, backward and forward!. I do set it out a bit so the angle isn't so acute, but I'll get there! It also works really well to help with extension. I just put my foot in the pedal and stretch it out and hold. After I did this for 5 minutes, I was able to get right up and walk, completely unaided, back and forth to the kitchen twice!! So proud of myself, even though I have a noticeable limp. Of course, I will continue to use crutches out of the house, with the goal of graduating to the cane by this Sunday. Now that I have a deadline, I'm going to make the most out of the 5 weeks or so to go until my RTKR!!

Thank you all so much for the support and compliment on my costume. :) I'm kind of a goofball, so it definitely fit that I was a little corny for the party!!

Well, have to attempt sleep since I have PT tomorrow at 8am!!

Jen
 
Hello fellow Bonesmarties,
Well, for the knee stuff first. I had my first outpatient PT today and I think it went really well! Starting next week, I will go twice a week and do the exercises at home. I had a therapist, Jim, who has been there for forever! I remember him being there when I was in high school and needed PT for my various surgeries. He has a younger person, Renee, working with him. I like both of them. She did my intake and took measurements. Right knee (non-surgical) 105/10; Left knee (surgical) 95/10. So, they are pretty similar right now and my right knee is actually more swollen! Good thing I'm having my RTKR in about a month. She wanted to check my kneecap, and I politely told her no when she asked if she could move it around. But I was nice about it. When Renee told Jim this (not in a mean way either), he asked if I had lateral issues and I said yes, and said he wasn't surprised I didn't want my kneecap moved around and it was NO BIG DEAL!! :) They had me work on my extension with a bolster and a weight on my knee (no pain, easy peasy and I'll do it at home without the weight though), practice walking the "right way" over cones using the parallel bars (painful on the inside of my knee only?), and practice with a cane. I definitely need to work on stepping the "right" way, but I knew that going in. I also did better with the cane than I thought I would, so I think the change will happen soon. I do have somewhere to go on Saturday, and I'll use crutches for that, but after that, I'm going to try to use the cane. They did end with ice, but it wasn't long enough to make any impact. Next time, I'll ask to do it for 30 minutes at least. So, all in all, I did good and I feel good about it. My knee does not hurt any more than it did! I made 4 appointments and have 3 of them at 8am. I figure it's a good motivator to get me out of bed and be active!

Today is the day that would have been my 14th wedding anniversary. I think I am doing okay today. Last year was the first anniversary without my Swede and that was difficult. I just got back from going out to dinner with three of my friends from high school, including Mara, and it was just what I needed. At the time of his death, I had been with Russell for 19 years, exactly half of my life at that time. It's getting better, but I think our "special" days are going to be sad for quite some time. I feel I have done a good job of trying to put my life back together and making the changes I needed. These two knee replacements mean so much to me because once I am healed and recovered, I can actually do the things I want to do. This has always been a goal of mine since I found out my knees were awful, but I always thought Swede would be here to enjoy them with me. But, I keep him alive in my heart and I always will. I am attaching a few pictures of him/us and they make me sad, but they also make me smile because at least I got to have him for 19 years. Even knowing all the pain that I feel, and probably always will feel, because of his suicide, I would not have traded it for anything.

Jen
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    bhm.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 284
  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    Both of us.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 282
  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    Silly.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 272
  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    Us.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 286
  • [Bonesmart.org] The girl with the two fake knees
    Vikings.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 251
Jen,
Thank you for sharing this with us on this very difficult day. I don't have words to ease your pain, but I do want you to know I am thinking of you. You are a very brave and special young woman, it is evident from your insightful and caring posts. You will get through this and achieve your goals with your new knees. Sending a distant hug to you tonight.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm glad today wasn't painful, I hope there's no pain tonight or tomorrow either. I'm also glad you had friends to help you get through a tough day.
 
Jen, your way of approaching your life and health honors both you and those whom you have loved and continue to love!
 
Jen, you are a woman of great strength and determination. I applaud you for your positive outlook in the face of all the pain you have endured both physical and emotional. I have no doubt that you will achieve all your goals for a better life!
You are correct to hold your memories of your husband in your heart and in doing so he will never be gone from you! Many years ago someone said to me "I wish you enough" ....meaning I wish you enough of whatever it takes to get you through! So to you Jen, I wish you enough!
Blessings,
Lene'


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thank you for sharing those precious pictures. They brought tears to my eyes. My husband died 16 years ago but I still think of him with tenderness and love. The good memories will never go away but I can assure you that the pain of loss lessens with time. You are wise in taking care of yourself and going ahead with your life. May the road be downhill and the wind at your back.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom