THR The fun part

Ugh - I've got another cold, dangit, undoubtedly acquired from some filthy hoo-man I've had dealings with. This one's morphed me into a slime machine - everything I eat or drink turns directly into mucus that pours from every orifice in a disgusting and sometimes explosive manner. Even my brain is stuffed - I can't think, and I'm having trouble working. Fortunately I work at home, so I can stay in my jammies and robe while I struggle to avoid accidentally nuking my hard drive.

Sorry for the hip-irrelevant post!

Ugh!
So sorry. That sounds awful. Pump the fluids and get lots of rest.
I hope you feel better soon! :console2:
@Bone-obo

Surgeries seem to play havoc with the immune system and just lay you bare against unrelated infections. I had bouts of strep and sinus infections after both hip replacements and bronchitis after the hip scope. So, your post isn't really hip-irrelevant! Pamper yourself for a bit!

And what a bummer!
Just checking out anniversary's and noticed it's yours.
Happy Two Month Anniversary, although I'll bet it's not too happy :mcoffee:
I'm sure it goes without saying that they'll be no Butter Pecan frozen custard today :tantrum:
Do lots of this > :sleep: and you'll be feeling better in no time.

I'm having CUSTARD WITHDRAWAL! But the worst of the cold has passed and I'm rediscovering how nice it is to breathe thru my nose.

Hey, I think I mentioned at @Barbaraj's place my question about recovering flexibility, to whit, how much and how soon? I've never been very flexible, probably because of the built-in limitations of my hip, and I'm not expecting to get my contortionist's license, but it might be fun to hear others' experiences along these lines.

Side story: I asked my OS about it at the last appointment, and he told me about one former patient that got into yoga in a big way, and advanced to the point where he could put his legs behind his head. Of course he promptly dislocated and had to be wheeled back into surgery for a repair - but still!

But still! This is what you aspire to do?
:scare:
I can honestly say my ROM...regarding stiffness I'm assuming with increased activity...was at times up and down for well over a year.
I do a lot of bending and stretching and lifting with my job, and afterwards would find that things Do stiffen up and cause some restrictions in mobility.
Likely to be the same, perhaps, when you begin cycling again...it's an ebb and flow.
I'm actually very pleasantly surprised to discover that from a year to 18 months..things have continued to improve.
Is a matter of pushing it to there, oops...little too far, let me chill for a bit...let this subside...to yep, this isn't causing me as much distress this time..
To now I hardly have have to temper my activity.
Just don't get chronic issues started...

@Bone-obo - active ROM still a work in progress on hip with psoas release but passive is good. I demonstrated the "pigeon" on that side for my PT the other day. When I showed my surgeon a picture of me doing the pose with first hip at 1 year anniversary, his only response was "good range of motion" so I guess he wasn't too worried about dislocation. PT's head did not explode either.

Glad your cold is easing and you can breathe again.
Hope you and the little Mrs. have a great Valentines Day.
Hugs coming your way. You're beloved here, ya goof! :loveshwr:
@Bone-obo

But still! This is what you aspire to do?
I think I'd have a better chance of flapping my arms and flying. Nah, functional mobility is my goal.

I'm actually very pleasantly surprised to discover that from a year to 18 months..things have continued to improve.
That's what I was hoping for - thanks! My elder hip is still fairly limited at 9 months along, but I suspect it may be limited by its junior which is (as @Layla so kindly mentioned) a mere 2 months. There's undoubtedly a max healing point out there somewhere where what you got it what you'll get - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't there yet. Pain and endurance are waaaay ahead of schedule, by the way.

Speaking of @Layla, thanks for the kind comments!! Yep, this cold's under control, thanks - but if I catch another one this year, I'm not leaving the house without a hazmat suit.

I demonstrated the "pigeon" on that side for my PT the other day.
Impressive, young one. Obisquab has taught you well.

Wishing you a frozen custard kinda weekend, Bone-obo.
Now that you're feeling better.
Hope it's a good one!
@Bone-obo

Hey, @Bone-obo, I mostly have "functional" mobility/flexibility, but I was fairly strong and flexible before surgery. I couldn't put my legs behind my head, but I could roll back and put my knees beside my head, almost touching the ground. I've made it to my knees on my shoulders, which is good but not what I had before. Now, one might wonder WHY this is important but it somehow is a goal for me, a goal which I may not meet due to both hip replacement on one side, wonky unoperated hip on the other and--horror of horrors--the darn aging process. Feeling very stiff this morning, and aching for some reason, starting at the top of my operated hip, a new development. But, one day at a time, chug, chug...

Hope you've survived the worst of "custard withdrawal" and are feeling better now.

Hi Friend!
Glad to see you are progressing as multiple bionic! I’ve not been on in quite a while ( life and other such stuff) but have thought of you and happy to catch up. I hate hearing about those nasty colds! Yuck! Hope your head is clearing and your hippie joints are jumping!
All the best to you and yours!

Now, one might wonder WHY this is important but it somehow is a goal for me
I don't wonder at all, Barbara, because I've got similar goals. Near as I can tell, flexibility returns late in the recovery process for a lot of people, and that's where I'm pinning my hopes - for you as well!

I’ve not been on in quite a while ( life and other such stuff) but have thought of you and happy to catch up.
Welcome back, you globe-trotter you! Glad you're checking in!

Thanks, @Bone-obo, I appreciate the positive wishes, and the information that flexibility may return late in the recovery process. Of course, with a wonky left hip, I am assuming that it will be difficult to regain full flexibility until--groan--I get that one replaced as well. But, I think it's good to keep pressing on and working towards greater strength and flexibility despite obstacles (like, duh, I'm no spring chicken and have one recovering hip and one waiting in the wings!) Goals are a good thing, for all of us.

An educational aside on flexibility: it's a brain thing, not a hip or leg thing. The latest theory is that the brain locks the muscles up when it thinks we're going to shred something - even if we're not! So stretching is about convincing our slow, stupid gray bits that we're more flexible than it thinks, and we're not going to cripple ourselves if we simply try to tie our freaking shoe. Somehow this give me hope - the flexibility is there! We just need to clap our hands real hard and believe. Also stretch. I'm trying the PNF stretches - we'll see how it goes. Could be great!

Or it could turn out to be a load of dingos' kidneys.

In other news: I'm back on the trail again!

IMG_4229.JPG

Look at you :yay: Great photo! It's wonderful to see your back in biz.
Hope you had fun. You're only days away from you Nine Month Anniversary of your first op. Unbelievable!
You're going to have an awesome Summer. :yes: :egypdance:
@Bone-obo

Last edited:
:) :-) (:
Great to see you back in your natural environment!:tada:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads