THR The fun part

Thanks - yeah, the weather is lovely! In spite of being crazy behind on work, I'm gonna get outside today if I end up having to work all night!

Oh! and note that I've revised my signature. I'm now a December Dingleberry. Or something.
 
You booked it!! Congratulations @Bone-obo! That's a big decision and I'm happy you didn't do what I and so many others did... Delay until it was unbearable. A December dingleberry?! Maybe a December Dilaudid. :) You can look forward to your winter months being nice and icy. 6-7 months between is I think a very good stretch to allow for number one to be fully healed too. Exciting! Another newborn on the way in the BoneSmart hip nursery!! Start working on names now..
 
Hope you got some good vitamin d therapy from getting outside.
Yay for getting number two on the docket.
Hope your Sunday is sweet!
 
That's a big decision and I'm happy you didn't do what I and so many others did... Delay until it was unbearable.
No! I cannot emphasize enough that my hip is giving me no pain at all! A reasonable man would save it for another time, but I'm not reasonable. Anyway, my OS says regardless of how it feels, it's a cartilage-free zone down there and ripe for harvest, plus I want even-length legs for the next time I shop for slacks, and the eventual ability to wrap my legs around the back of my head like a yogi. So out it goes.
 
Cartilage Free Zone :rotfl:
You are great at finding humor in every situation or making a funny :heehee: about it.
Wishing you comfort until December.
Whew! Sounds far off right about now.
Bring on 2019....it will be your year!
@Bone-obo
 
We are the same age, so I can't lay claim to being the wiser-elder authority voice, but I so agree with your OS, a wise one he be! Cannot over-emphasize how wrong it was to wait until the poor femoral head's last step was taken to book that surgery appointment. Not to mention unfair to my Super Spouse who had to go back to the apron / vacuum gig and butler with a tray costume as I had to go back to the patient in bed role. You're really doing the right thing at the right time, Yoda sez. :)

IF you're curious (and only if) ask them for a video of the femoral head like I got. A nice keepsake, family heirloom of sorts! :heehee: I know some find it unthinkable, in which case fuggetaboutit -- but I was so happy to have it once I got up the courage to open the email. The OS narration informed me in visual detail of all the actual mechanics that had broken down - where and how - and how they had manifested in ROM, gait, pain etc. It's a small globe and carries your life's mobility story "imprinted" upon it. It's fascinating!
 
IF you're curious (and only if) ask them for a video of the femoral head like I got. A nice keepsake, family heirloom of sorts!
Yes! I'm crazy curious about stuff like that. When I was a child, I kept a bottle with all the teeth I lost rather than cash in with the Tooth Fairy - had it for years until my mother got out the tongs while I was at college, and gingerly threw it away.
 
Hahaha! :rotfl:
Think of all the money you'd have now with interest if you'd only have negotiated with the tooth fairy back then! Your poor Mom!

I had a feeling you might be one of the curious ones. So ask your OS staff beforehand and have it notated on your file, if they offer it. You won't regret it - at worst case it's ultimately educational. But also, you'll gain a new respect for your parts and accessories and how they function mechanically. My OS gave a very detailed description as he twirled the lil ball around in his gloves.

Years ago I did a full body scan including brain scan as a preventative ordeal to check everything out. They gave me a special CD to take home that was like "Fantastic Voyage". You could actually "drive through" your body and arteries on your computer and zoom into any organ or area exploring what they saw from the scan. Not for everyone, but I loved taking a drive through the body and peeking in on things. Thankfully there was nothing much of interest found, but hubby did it too, same day, and he and I were comparing our livers and kidneys!! More fun than dinner and a movie.
 
Thanks, @Alitm! Now I feel like that date has especially good vibes - I hope the marriage with my new hip is as durable and compatible as yours!
 
:wave: Hey over there on the east coast.....in all seriousness, glad you will be leaving the cartilage-free hip zone behind you for good! Hubs and I will be celebrating 31 years on the day of your surgery. The way I look at it, by using my married years as an add on to the hip surgery this year...we will get at least that many years out of our new joints :yes!:. We won't be needing a cane :old: and will still be celebrating a no-arthritis-in-the-hips life :martini:It's all good :happydance:!

I see the advantages of getting hips done in the winter months as perhaps not being tempted to go outside as frequently, and being lured into the ODIC as quickly :heehee:!

I know when my surgeon said that my new hips would last me my lifetime, I looked at him and said, "I'm planning to be living for a L O N G time!" He was so encouraging and just said to stay away from high impact sports. Luckily the horses absorb most of the concussion from the ground and the wear and tear is on their joints, not mine. I'm no longer jumping, so it's all good! Your cycling is an excellent sport for hip longevity. Perhaps I should switch over...cycling is huge here!

Have a great day @Bone-obo :SUNsmile:
 
Wow, @Bone-obo, I am impressed that you're scheduling second surgery (gulp...) for right before Christmas. I think it would be hard to go into the holidays recovering from a hip replacement. But maybe based on your experiences with hip #1 you feel as if it's not that big of an issue. I find the Christmas holidays exhausting regardless, and would never, unless it was imperative, go for that timing. On the other hand, maybe I could persuade my husband to skip town with me during the holidays so all that cooking and cleaning and entertaining could be jettisoned and I could be sitting in a lounge chair on board a cruise ship, slurping the drink of the day! Maybe next December for me?!!
 
@Alitm: I'd love to get to British Columbia to ride! And I love that you ride horses - awesome critters! Do you own one or, uh, rent? (I'm not a horsie person, but the wife of the guy who sold me my recumbent is an avid horsewoman and it's fun to hear about her adventures when we get together!)

@Barbaraj: I'll let you in on a dirty little secret: we're Christmas minimalists. Every year we put an aluminum stepladder out on the deck and wrap it in lights so it kinda sorta looks halfway like a lit Christmas tree at night. And that's it. We have no kids and a tiny family of similarly informal celebrants, plus we probably won't have any work due around then, and I'll have a peaceful 3-4 weeks until work starts to dribble in after the New Year. It's the perfect time of year to be laid up!
 
We have an olive tree that we bring in for the winter and decorate with lights.

@Bone-obo I look forward to the thrilling installments from your next recovery as love your sense of humour. And no advanced admission to the ODIC allowed!
 
I remember when I was small and lived in Arizona, my mother took a stout little cactus with long spines and decorated it with jujubes (candy) with tinfoil star.
I don't think I realized we didn't have alot of money.
Seemed lovely to me
 
@Bone-obo - very funny book - John Grisham's Skipping Christmas. It was also made into a movie but the book was better.

I had my 2nd on 12/2 and, while we planned to do 4 hour drive to KC 3 weeks later for Christmas, it got pushed back several times for different reasons (if I remember right, the first time, strep tried to get me to back out of ODIC - yes I was already cavorting in ODIC land) - eventually took the trip in March, I think.

Just be careful of ice - good when you put it on the hip gently. Less good when you smack it on the hip by falling (Mojo will confirm that falling is a violation of BS rules)!
 
Just remember, if you come to ride in the winter months, bring a canoe, not a bike.

[Bonesmart.org] The fun part


Just be careful of ice - good when you put it on the hip gently. Less good when you smack it on the hip by falling (Mojo will confirm that falling is a violation of BS rules)!
Good call! Where we are in the south, we tend to get ice storms rather than snow, and that stuff is treacherous!!

And thanks for the book recommendation!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom