TKR The beginning of my new life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got out of my CPM machine. I cranked it up to 115 which is as high as it goes & I did really well. I'm ready to get in bed & I am massaging my leg; I am so excited because the little dimple or indentation on the outer side of my knee is back. A little puffy on the other side but things are looking better. No more chipmunk knee!
 
Progress stood still for 2 weeks but today my ROM finally got to 105. That would not impress my OS but as I have learned from this forum slow & easy is okay. Seems to work for me. My goal is 115 by my next OS appt. He wont be satisfied with that either but I will. Can the OS tell if there are adhesions? Can the patient tell if they have them? Is a low ROM the only indication that adhesions are there?? I have no pain at all & not taking any pain meds.....only an occasional tylenol or ibuprofen. I do feel some tightness at the front of knee. The PT worked on it today withmassage around the kneecap & it helped quite a bit. I have this thought in my head thinking that maybe this tightness is due to adhesions but I am clueless. I know my Bonesmart friends will have some answers to my adhesions question. @Blendab1 @Spencienca, @SeptemberZen.....& I cant remember you all...I hope you are all making progress and getting ready to enjoy this summer.
 
Hey, you are doing great, I wish I had your ROM. My knee almost looks like a knee except for what I call the forehead, the puffy area above the knee. I don't know if I have scar tissue but after PT works the knee if feel nice and loose. I wish I could afford to have someone massage it everyday!!
Keep up the great work because whatever you are doing its working well!!


Brenda
 
Your ROM sounds excellent for where you are in the process.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I need a little encouragement. I have my OS appt. this Thursday the 28th & I am quite sure he will want to schedule a MUA. I was able to put him off at my last visit but now I am at almost 11 weeks post-op & I think he will insist on it. I know I have the right to say no & I just finished reading what Josephine posted about MUA. I honestly think that it does not increase ROM enough for me to do it. However, this is the question I have....I do have a lot of tightness in the front of the knee. Not the joint, the joint feels awesome. In fact today I shopped for 3 hours in the store pushing a cart NOT RIDING IN ONE. I felt great. My ROM is 107 now. I have PT tomorrow & we will see if it has changed since last week. I am able to tuck both legs under me when I sit. I get in & out of the car better than I have in 3 yrs. and without any pain at all. My new knee is so strong it makes me want to schedule the LTKR soon. But, I wonder if this tightness is due to adhesions? Of course I will ask the Doc on Thursday but it will not be easy. The last time I was there he spent all of 5 minutes with me (after I drove 3 hrs to get there). So, I am dreading my appt. needless to say. I do not know if I will be able to keep my cool if he dashes in & out again this time. I am using recumbent cross-trainer that is awesome for getting a good stretch in that leg. I adjust the seat and/or my foot position to adjust the bend in the leg. So, I do a little cardio & then slow down & change foot position to give a good bend. I believe it has helped me get from the 90 degrees to the 107. I forgot to mention something. The tightness I have is only on the top of the leg & was worsened after a PT worked aggressively on my knee to try & feel/move the knee-cap. She did some big time pressing & massaging; it did not cause me great pain, just discomfort. She even checked out my non-operative knee & said that that kneecap is also very tight. I am so confused but this tightness is so much worse since she worked on it one week ago. What do you think guys & gals?? I'm so sorry for such a long post.
 
Wow, 107 ROM you are doing great! I feel if you are steadily improving you should not get the MUA. I believe your tightness and soreness is due to PT aggressively moving around your knee cap. When you get to the doctors tell him you would like him to answer all your questions considering you drive 3 hours one way to get there, and stick to your guns!!!
I look forward to see what he has to say.


Brenda
 
No need to apologize for the long post, thst is what we are here for! Be sure to write out ALL of your questions and pull the paper out as soon as the doctor walks in..pretty sure he will not chat and dash as quickly! Good luck!
 
Brenda said what I was going to say. Let him know you have questions. I do hope he will listen and answer. You sound like you're doing well. I figure you can do an MUA at any time (or is that not the case?), so if you don't believe it's appropriate now, the doctor should have some very convincing arguments


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Not sure PolarBear60 if there is some magical window of time that a MUA must be done in or not. My goal is to buy another few weeks. I enjoy swimming & now that the pool is open again I am going to start some water exercise as well. I would just like to buy a little more time. If I feel exactly the same way in 4 wks. then I will consent to MUA. We shall see how Thursday appt. goes. Thank you for your feedback.
 
I need a little encouragement. I have my OS appt. this Thursday the 28th & I am quite sure he will want to schedule a MUA. I was able to put him off at my last visit but now I am at almost 11 weeks post-op & I think he will insist on it.
My ROM is 107 now. I have PT tomorrow & we will see if it has changed since last week.
Your ROM is 107 at 11 weeks. You are making steady progress. Very few surgeons do an MUA once the ROM is over 90. Why do you think your surgeon will "insist"? In any case, it's your knee, not his, and he can't do anything without your consent. What's he going to do? Come to your house and drag you into hospital? I don't think so!
I very much doubt that you will need an MUA at all.
Just continue to let your knee progress at its own pace. Remember that you can continue to increase ROM for a year or even more after surgery.
But, I wonder if this tightness is due to adhesions?
In spite of all the hype about them, adhesions are actually very rare. The tightness above your knee is normal at 11 weeks and is probably due to this:
"Tight band" feeling across the front of my knee

The tightness I have is only on the top of the leg & was worsened after a PT worked aggressively on my knee to try & feel/move the knee-cap. She did some big time pressing & massaging; it did not cause me great pain, just discomfort. She even checked out my non-operative knee & said that that kneecap is also very tight. I am so confused but this tightness is so much worse since she worked on it one week ago. What do you think guys & gals??
I think you must tell your PT to stop messing your knees about. It's totally unnecessary to do all that manipulating. The kneecaps will loosen up by themselves, if left alone.
As you found out, that manipulation made things worse, not better, so don't allow it any more.
Not sure PolarBear60 if there is some magical window of time that a MUA must be done in or not. My goal is to buy another few weeks.
No. There isn't a magical window of time - for having an MUA or for getting increased ROM.
I think your goal should be to avoid having an MUA at all. I'm pretty sure you don't need one.
Time, and patience will give you the ROM you want.

Just so that you can see an example of how one Bonesmartie's ROM made slow, but continued, progress for over a year, here is what @Campervan (thank you, Margaret) posted about her first TKR - she didn't have, and didn't need, an MUA:
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy to read your reply first thing this morning @Celle. I remember seeing the post of @Campervan about her steady progression. That could absolutely happen for me as well! And, I must have missed that info about the "Tight band feeling" in the library section. I was only focusing on the MUA info. So glad you pointed it out to me, & it is exactly the feeling that I have on the top of my knee. And...to top it off, I did not have this sensation until after the PT did the agressive manipulation & it did cause swelling again. I am definitely better prepared to state my case when I see the OS tomorrow. The reason I am pretty sure he will want MUA is that the last time I saw him at 8 wks post-op he was not happy with 90 degrees that I had & already mentioned MUA. I put him off & he said he would give me 2-3 more weeks. I told him at that point that I wanted to wait a little longer because I had just begun to be able to sleep at night & the swelling was finally going down & I was feeling pretty normal for the first time. I felt like I was turning a corner. He is a sour-puss & the fact is that HE DOES NOT KNOW ME.....how could he, including surgery time & office visits he probably only spent 1.5 hours with me!!! Again, thank you for your input. I feel equipped to manipulate this guy tomorrow. :)
 
I'm glad that you feel what I wrote helped you, Joanne.

There are some very good technical surgeons around, who don't have a good bedside manner, unfortunately. I expect your surgeon is one of those.
He may have done hundreds of knee replacements, but I doubt he has had one himself and he doesn't know what it feels like.

Don't feel you have to fight him. Just calmly tell him that it's your knee and you don't wish to have an MUA yet.
Take someone along with you for moral support - that helps.
 
my pt showed me how to do the kneecap manipulation myself and it was very gentle. Sounds like you had Attila the Hun work on you. :(
I had a tight feeling in my latest knee well after 12 weeks. But over time it felt better and better and months later I'd notice I had more motion just as I did daily activities. Before a year was out the last thing on my mind was my knee. :)
 
Had a long day today. 6.5 hrs. of driving (round trip) to see the OS. Much to my surprise he spent more than 5 mins. with me. When he walked in the room I made sure he saw me sitting in the chair with both legs tucked under the chair. He was impressed. He asked me what the PT measured me at last time. I told him 107 & he did say he wants it high. I agreed & told him that I started a water exercise program this week & I can already feel a difference so I feel confident I will continue to improve. He was happy about the water exercise but he wants 4-6 more weeks of PT. I'm going to let them schedule 3 wks for now & hope that between the swimming & PT I might get to where I need to be. No further mention of MUA...yippee!! Thanks all for helping me with my MUA fears. Considering I drove so much today, I feel awesome tonight. No knee pain at all & minimal swelling. I iced when I got home & I'm going to sleep like a rock tonight.
 
Yay. Be prepared to feel a little stiff, sore, and tired tomorrow, but keep icing, resting, and elevating, and you should feel better soon.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I'm glad your appointment went so well, Joanne! :yes!:

Your ROM is going to continue to improve and I'm sure you'll get where you need to be. There really is no need to rush it, though. Remember that ROM can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after surgery.
Just yesterday, I discovered that my left TKR, which is now 8+ months old, was able to bend further than it could the previous week.
 
Joanne that is great news!!! I'm so happy that your OS took his time with you and your MUA is off the table! Keep up the great work and let me know how the pool goes as I may have to join a gym that has one.


Brenda
 
Joanne I saw your reply to my thread and I'll let you know how it goes. I'll keep you in my prayers!


Brenda
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom