TKR The beginning of my new life

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dressing was changed the day after my surgery but they put on a waterproof one which will stay on till Thursday, so I am not sure what your protocol is. According to my paperwork if I get a fever of 101 I am to call my Dr.'s office immediately. If you are worried I would call your surgeon.
Hope you have a good night and get a good nights sleep.
Take care.
 
Hi there, Joanne - I ran a slight fever on and off for about 2 weeks after my TKR, always around 99-101. I was having to call my OS a couple times per day because I had issues with pain control, so I kept telling them about my temps and they were never concerned. It always bothered me when it would go down to normal and then randomly spike up, but nothing ever came of it. It's really hard to tell about the warmness/redness - I mean, you just had surgery, it's warm and red from that. My OS just told me that if something changed or if my fever spiked to 102+, then he'd be concerned. So he told me to watch for abnormal swelling, darker red patches and a lot of heat.

My dressing was never changed, as I had an aqua-cell dressing on. I had gauze wrapped around all of that for the first few days, but no drainage at all, so those came off around day 4, I think? Then I had the aqua-cell on until my staples were removed @ Day 10.

I was super paranoid, but everything was just fine. But absolutely better to be cautious about these things, but don't worry yourself too much - just take note of changes and let them know!
 
I left the hospital on day two and they took the dressing off before I left. I wrapped it with Press and Seal when I took a shower! I think there was a little drainage the first day or so, I would not worry too much about that, as long as it is not copious. Mostly they want you to keep your hands off the wound so that it heals without extra germs on it!!

Most folks have a slight fever here and therre for the first week or so. Mostly, I did not feel really sick--just tired. I had no problem getting stuff from the kitchen--but, then I did not use a walker. I just walked around the house and used crutches when i was outside. My husband was around, but I am pretty independent and used the times I needed to go to the bathroom or to get something to drink as my exercise periods in the house.

I think I did a few heel slides here and there, but I did almost nothing for the first two weeks. After that I only did what they did in pt. I did walk pretty early--I have dogs and they wanted their walk--no matter what!!!
 
Good news...the fever did not get worse. I'm starting an antibiotic today because they are treating me for a UTI. I have really learned to advocate for myself. Thank you Josephine for reposting the reading/doing suggestions. It made me get my courage & stick up for myself. I'm starting to see how these rehab places work. I was pretty annoyed that nobody checked my dressing yesterday until I said something about it. I'm going to shut up & quit complaining because everything is going ok for the most part. I am just so wanting the best outcome possible that i get crazy sometimes. Thank you alll for your input. And, Vinny you crack me up. Keep the funnies coming!
 
Great news! Also, you're not complaining if you are asking for help, we are here for each other. Hope today is good one.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
shutting up is probably the LAST thing you should do...you were given a voice for a reason, so by all means use it! You are your own advocate...You will be home before you know it...hope you have a great day today!
 
I'm getting discharged on Friday. Feeling well and confident. Thanks all again for pushing me along.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] The beginning of my new life
    2015-03-17 16.54.48.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 198
How are things going? You must be excited that you cam go home tomorrow! Safe travels :)


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
I am very happy to be leaving this place. It is not an appropriate facility for Orthopedic rehab. They deal with other much more serious cases. The swelling sausage feeling is getting less.i guess everything is ok. Cant wait to get home. You must have your followup appt soon, right.
 
Yes it was today. Had the staples removed and then had my legged wrapped due to swelling. I was exhausted from just that short out and about.

Sorry the rehab center was not better for you, I hope you get a survey to fill out to let them know how you feel.

Good luck tomorrow!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just checking to see if you made it home ok. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
Hi Joanne - how is life at home? Hope all is good - Maggie x
 
Hi everyone...thank you for checking on me. I made it home. I am exhausted. It was nice to be in my own bed. I have lots to chat about but i'm not up to it right now. I looking forward to posting later today.
 
Yey.....rest is best. Maggie x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joanne - read you comment re compression sox on Brenda;s thread and thought I move my comment across to yours. I have been wearing compression sox from about 6pm and all thru the night... during the day i am wearing compression (or cycling) pants. I am finding that they are great for reducing swelling. The pants will probably be a bit early for you but the knee high sox are definitely worth a try.

Hope you are traveling Ok on this recovery journey - Maggie x
 
Hi Joanne. Just saw your gorgeous pup on @Blendab1 s thread...just too cute. I hope you have not got a reaver, I guess the thermometer will tell us.
I have a cleaner...have done for many many years. Its just me in a 3bed 1bath house but I just have no domestiƧ inclination. She comes once every 2 weeks...my house sparkles after the cleaning fairy has been. If you can afford it go for it.
On the meds don't be too hasty to cut back. I made that mistake an ra mped up my meds nearly 2 weeks ago. So much more comfortable. Still lacking sleep n stamina. Take care cheers Maggie x
 
Hi Joanne ( @jfiori54 )

I'm replying in your thread so as to not derail wberry's thread. I too was having the same tightness and swelling issues as you so my PT Suggested I use ibuprofen. I called my OS and was told I could take it if I reduced my pain meds. So I use the ibuprofen during the day and pain meds at night. It has helped tremendously with the swelling. It's still swollen but not as severe as it was and its allowed me to improve my ROM. You should call your OS to see if they allow it.
I wish I could have a cleaning person but finances won't allow it. I have been able to keep my house clean but it's an all day affair as I need to rest after each chore. Going back to work in 16 days is going to prove interesting.
Hoping you have a great day today, I have to hit the shower before PT gets here. The showering helps loosen up the knee.
Take care.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
I feel rested for the first time since my surgery on 3/13/15. I got more sleep these last 2 nights than I have the last 5 weeks. I feel hopeful today as compared to the last few weeks. Constantly waking up overnight in pain wears you down but the last 2 nights were much better. I actually feel & look rested. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom