TKR The beginning of my new life

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could have a cleaning person but finances won't allow it. I have been able to keep my house clean but it's an all day affair as I need to rest after each chore.
Someone on here said: " Dust bunnies are your friends. They show that you are resting properly."

It's more important to rest than to keep the house clean. Doing it a little bit at a time is a good idea as you progress, but the recommendation is for not doing any housework at all for the first weeks.
 
Yay Joanne! You should start seeing small differences with your knee, it is healing every day...one day you will be noticing that you can do something you couldn't do last week or even yesterday..but beware, you still may notice some things regressing as well as progressing, and its ALRIGHT! Good to hear that you are sleeping better, I noticed that i started sleeping better at week 5 as well...hang in there and congrats on some good Zzzz's!!!
 
@referee54, @skigirl I am also hearing talk of a MUA. My OS actually mentioned it on my first visit to him. I was bone on bone for 10 yrs & had been dragging my leg for a few yrs. He told me at that time that a MUA could end up being necessary. I had not used my leg effectively or normally for a few yrs. I talked to PT today at my visit. I had been making progress with ROM but then my back started to hurt me & it threw a curve in my therapy. My OS appt is tomorrow & I am so upset that he will want to do MUA. My goal is to ask if he can give me 1-2 wks longer before we do it. I was measured at 90 today; it was pretty uncomfortable but i did it. What do you guys think?
 
Joanne, an MUA is not the end of the world..i had mine done at 7 weeks and it was the best decision for me...I was only at 80 ROM at 7 weeks and it was getting too painful to get to 80...after the MUA I am at 96 without the pain..hang in there!
 
@referee54, @skigirl I am also hearing talk of a MUA. My OS actually mentioned it on my first visit to him. I was bone on bone for 10 yrs & had been dragging my leg for a few yrs. He told me at that time that a MUA could end up being necessary. I had not used my leg effectively or normally for a few yrs. I talked to PT today at my visit. I had been making progress with ROM but then my back started to hurt me & it threw a curve in my therapy. My OS appt is tomorrow & I am so upset that he will want to do MUA. My goal is to ask if he can give me 1-2 wks longer before we do it. I was measured at 90 today; it was pretty uncomfortable but i did it. What do you guys think?
Surgeons are meant to tell you about the possibility of needing a MUA, as part of their duty of full disclosure before your surgery. It doesn't necessarily mean that they think you will need one.

Very few surgeons do an MUA once you are past 90 degrees - and you've got there. In any case, your surgeon can recommend, but the final decision is yours. So, if you want a few extra weeks, tell your surgeon so. He can't do the MUA without your consent anyway.

Your knee was pretty bad before the surgery, so it will probably take longer than some to recover. As long as you're making progress, that doesn't matter. There's no need to rush.

One more thing - don't overwork at that PT. Uncomfortable is OK, but don't let it hurt, at the time or afterwards.
 
[Bonesmart.org] The beginning of my new life

@jfiori54, I have moved the three posts above from numzee's thread into your own where they properly belong. Updates about your recovery should always be in your personal thread. Posts in other members' threads should be about their recovery.
 
Thank you & I apologize. I better review the directions for posting. Thank you for your help.
 
@jfiori54 - I'm posting here instead of on Blendab's thread. They cannot do any procedure without your consent. If it's too hard to tell your OS you want to wait, you can say you'd like to think it over for a few days & will call when you're ready. Swelling, or lack of has an enormous effect on bending. Your sleep is being interrupted by pain & worry. Take a pain med at night. If you don't have any more & can't get the OS to give you another script, talk to your GP. Stress how the pain is interrupting your sleep. The GP will most likely be more sympathetic. After all s/he knows you better & is concerned about all of you, not just your knee.

Wishing you luck today with your appointment!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Mine was not changed daily They said if it was sticking on and not a lot of drainage it was good.
 
I think the post above refers back to a question about the changing of dressings, which was mentioned in posts #20, 21, and 22.
 
I had my 6wk appt today. we drove 3 hrs to get there & he spent 5 mins with me. He was not satisfied with the ROM at 90 & I told him that it had been climbing higher but my back/groin pain threw a curve in my progress. I spoke with his nurse last week about the back pain & she thought that the doc might take an xray. Never happened, he did do a xray of knee & all looks good. I told him I would like to give it 2 more weeks before the MUA decision. He said he will give me 3 wks more & if there is no improvement then we do MUA. I feel pretty confident that my ROM will improve. He did prescribe me Tramadol 50 mg. I was taking hydrocodone 10/325 after my surgery until April 17. I went for a week without pain medication. I live 3 hrs from his ofc & they would not mail me a prescription. In Arkansas you have to have a written script for a drug like hydrocodone. He did not want me on the hydrocodone anymore. The people that abuse narcotics ruined it for those of us that need it. Hopefully I will get some sleep tonight & better days are coming. Thank you Charlotte & everyone for your guidance & input.
 
It does not take much to make me happy. I slept for 4 hours straight last night. I feel so much better.
 
I am so glad you were able to sleep some last night! I hope the trend continues so that you can replenish yourself. Good for you to stand up to your OS and ask for more time before the MUA decision.
I think the limits on narcotics prescriptions are federal rules. It's the same in Iowa and I have seen many others here post about similar things. When it's a 3 hour trip to go pick up a written script, though....
Did you have back issues before your knee replacement? Do you have a doctor you were seeing for your back? I would think that would be the one to see to have the back & groin pain addressed - especially since your OS did/would not. It could be that the back & groin pain have nothing to do with the knee replacement, other than that it aggravated it. I too have a lot of spine issues that were only diagnosed as such a few months before my 1st knee replacement. Before that, I had no idea that problems in your spine can effect any part of your body that has nerves that run through your spinal column. It's not just pain centered along your spine.
I know advocating for your health can be exhausting, but don't give up! If you are fortunate enough to have a GP you trust, enlist their help too.
I hope you begin to feel better soon. Don't go beyond discomfort when doing your pt exercises. And keep coming back here to use the boards!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Charlotte, you are right on with the back issues. I had a post surgery visit with my GP 3 wks ago & talked to him about the back pain. He told me to talk to the OS about it...which I tried to do. I believe the biggest problem is that neither doctor has known me for very long. I first met the OS in Feb. 2015 after my search for a very experienced, reputable surgeon & I have been seeing my GP for 15 months. I always assumed my pain was caused from years of limping & not walking normally. Most times I hardly bent mt leg & dragged it around. However, xrays from 5 yrs ago to show moderate disc buldge at the L5 & S1. I think I have a high tolerance for pain & I don't complain until I can't take it anymore. I wanted to talk about NSAIDS with the OS but that also did not happen. I have been using some type of nsaid for 15 yrs & my stomach bothers me if I take them regularly. Mobic (meloxicam) helps me very much but my heart rate & BP started climbing & the GP thought I should stop using it & when I did they returned to normal. As you can see this situation needs some discussion & my goal is to either get my GP on board to help me or find a doctor that will help me. So, what do you think...am I being reasonable? I am going to call my GP office either today or Monday to set up an appt. Wish me luck & I appreciate your feedback.
 
Hope that tramadol sets you to rights, it's been a lifesaver for me, good stuff. :thumb:
 
Joanne, yes ma'am, you are being very reasonable. I have taken NSAIDs for a very long time (currently nabumetone) along with an acid blocker to help protect my stomach lining (currently pantoprazole). I have severe stenosis & Spondylolisthesis in the same spot, as well as degenerative disc disease and arthritis throughout the spine. That diagnosis was done after an X-ray and later an MRI. I, too, incorrectly assumed my back issues were directly related to the knees & poor gait.
Do talk to your GP again. If your GP can't help with your back issues, get a recommendation of where to go next.
Good luck!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BananasKnees Awesome! So you know exactly what I'm going through. I needed to share my experience with this forum because I was beginning to think I was crazy. I think I am too nice & don't make enough noise. Thanks again for the feedback. Have a good weekend...if I continue to sleep better, I will be a happy camper.
 
@jfiori54, just a suggestion regarding pain meds. You could get a script from your primary care physician who is probably closer. Managing pain is crucial to rehab and gaining flexion and extension. Next time you're running out, talk to your primary care physician about it.
 
Joanne I'm happy to see that you're finally getting the rest that you need and that you stood up for yourself in regards to the MUA. If we don't stand up for ourselves, nobody will.

I hope you find some relief for your back soon!




Brenda
 
Almost 7 wks out & I am feeling much better. Getting 5-6 hrs of sleep at night makes a huge difference. I convinced the OS to give me more time before he does MUA. He gave me 3 more weeks. I travel 3 hrs to get to my appts & he spends 5 mins with me. They took an xray & all looks good. I needed to talk about my back pain that had flared up but he rushed out of there. His major concern was that my ROM at 93 was not good. Before he had a chance to say MUA I cut him off & said that I am just now feeling better & I believe I can get the ROM up within a few weeks. If I do gain better ROM I dont even want to go back in 3 wks. Today was a great day....almost no swelling & I am optimistic for the first time in weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom