TKR The beginning, July 20th 2015

I have been trying to do what I did before the surgery. Which was to much to begin with. I do have set times for my pain meds. I've just been doing to much. I caught myself starting to take the laundry down the stairs to wash. I have plenty of clothes. He's the one running out of clothes. :-) I turned around and laid back down. I did so much yesterday. Pain meds still haven't caught up.
 
My doctor stopped my pain meds over a week ago. I have pain meds for other problems, but they're not strong enough. I go see him next Wednesday. Do I say something? He's not one for pain meds. I'm not sleeping well. I have sleeping pills, but they make me woozie. I've already fell flat on my butt since I've been home. So.... I don't take them anymore.
 
Sounds like you are under medicated, you can ask your GP for pain meds if your OS doesn't give you any options. There is no reason for you to be in pain, and not be able to sleep.
 
Neither doctor likes pain meds. Took forever to get them from primary. I'm afraid to ask OS. I'll try. I'm not sleeping well at all.:bored:
 
I hope they can give you something for your pain. In the meantime the Bonesmart Mantra will help. Some step down to Tramadol, after they are done with stronger medications.
 
Another question? Would wearing an elastic knee brace hurt my recovery? I put one on, and ice. It feels better, for now.
 
Knee brace is OK, if it makes your knee feel better, thats great. Most likely it is the compression that is helping.
 
Some light compression like a knee sleeve should be ok. My PT had me get something called "tubigrip" which was like an elastic cloth bandage/sleeve--it didn't feel tight, but did provide some compression to help with swelling.

Sleep is a problem for just about everyone for many weeks after tkr. Are you able to sleep at all or is the pain keeping you from sleeping even for a few hours at a time?

You are not even a month out from surgery, I think most of our docs were fine with us taking at medication for pain, though I know mine gave small amounts at a time. Just arbitrarily taking you off pain meds seems cruel to me.

A knee "vacation" will also help---one of the most difficult things many people have to deal with in this recovery is recognizing it is major surgery and you have "permission" to take care of yourself.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Doctor stopped pain meds two weeks out, and the ones I had were half as strong as what I had in the hospital. The pain is starting to get bad again and I have an hour to go. I've also been using Advil.:tantrum:
 
I have some for other medical reasons. But, they really aren't doing the job. So aggravating.
 
I sleep a couple hours at a time. Like I said, I have sleeping pills, but they make me unstable on my feet. I've already fallen once. So I stopped taking them.
 
Tylenol is a better pain reliever than Advil. Take it according to the directions on the label.
 
Tylenol doesn't work for me. I also use Advil for my bursitis. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to take both.
 
@twright100 - Firstly, I'm am SO glad you found this site. You need it.. (as do the rest of us!!! :heehee:) It has been a godsend to most of us, as we have all had tough times through this journey. You are about a week behind me, and I just now started giving up narcotics.. but without a doubt, have no qualms about going back and using them if necessary. (But I want to start driving! :yes:) Everyone here has already given you much good info. I'll add in my two sense. If I wasn't getting the pain relief I needed, I would find another doctor who understands good pain management. It will be difficult for you to focus on recovery if you are in so much pain you can't sleep or do the bit of stretching exercises / walking to support your recovery. And, I too, are one of those people who have difficulty letting things go. One of my daughters, not too long ago, but before surgery, told me I didn't "know how to relax".. I LOVE a clean house.. hate clutter, hate dishes in the sink.. BLECH!!!! But really, you need to put all that aside and know that there will come a day that you can get all caught up again.. Just RELAX and let the boss knee guide the way. "patience" is a themed message that ALL of us have been the recipient of at one point or another (sometimes SEVERAL times).. There's a reason it's a virtue.. We all need practice.. We are here to help.. And you'll find it's a great place to come for understanding, experience, helpful hints and empathy.. Welcome to the Bonesmarties' club!! PS. apparently there is a video of a knee replacement surgery on YouTube that can be quite impressive. Maybe you should have your husband watch so he understands exactly what you have just had done to your body about 3 weeks ago.. :yes:
 
Just did PT. Couldn't do 30 reps on half of them. The driving part doesn't bother me yet. I can barely stand to be in a car for more than 10-15 minutes. I see doctor Wednesday. Think we'll have a talk. This is ridiculous. I have a high pain tolerance. I'm going to find knee replacement surgery on YouTube. Husband is fine with me doing nothing. He just won't do much.
 
Here is a video for the squeamish, broken link removed: https://www.edheads.org/activities/knee/

Here is the real thing: broken link removed: https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3347931048322867705#
 
Back
Top Bottom