THR Thanks for hip tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Zebra Yes, I did go to my pre-op day at HSS and yes they took x-rays...it's a long day there...first you see a medical doctor, and then you give blood, etc. there's also a class that's very informative, given by a nurse, a phys therapist and a case worker.
 
@ski123 Yes, the hospital took x-rays with measuring devices that they placed between my legs and said they will be used during surgery. I believe they also take xrays a day after surgery as well.
 
@toohip, at the pre-op day at HSS did they take x-rays again of your hip? (just to be clear). Is that when they did the x-rays with the measuring devices, at the clearance exam day?

(in addition to the chest x-ray)

I am just curious because I haven't had any x-rays with measuring devices and it sounds like a good idea.
 
@Zebra yes, that's what i meant (sorry if it wasn't clear) they take xrays during the pre-op day. did your doctor send you a schedule for pre-op day, mine did...that'll let you know all the times for everything. such as required laboratory tests, x-rays and an EKG...also, bring a lunch, cause your pretty busy most of the day...we got there around 10 am and left around 4 or so
 
@toohip, yes, I have the booklet for pre-op day, but not a schedule yet. They said they would e-mail it.

I assumed "x-rays" in the booklet referred to the standard chest x-ray.

So, you had your 1) initial hip x-ray at your first appt.

2) x-rays of your hip again (with the measuring devices) during the pre-op "screening" day?

Sorry for asking you again, but the x-rays I brought to my initial appt. from another practice in NJ
I don't think were that great, so I was actually going to ask them about getting hip x-rays during the pre-op.
 
@Zebra, I can't imagine that your doctor at HSS wouldn't take new xrays. I had my hips done at HSS, and it's definitely part of the pre-op day. If you are worried, you should call his office and confirm they will not be using the xrays from the previous practice. HSS is great, so you are in good hands.
 
@Zebra
1) yes, I had xrays at initial dr's appt

2) Yes, xrays again on pre-op day with measuring device as well as chest xrays at the same time. so don't worry.
 
@cthipster I am also going to HSS and they seemed very well organized. I'm still a bit nervous about the whole thing though. @cthipster and @Zebra can I ask which doctors you're using/used?
 
@ski123, I didn't have different leg lengths but two dysplastic hips. When I had the first one done last April 2013, it took me longer to recover than it seemed like other people took to recover. At my six week visit, I lamented to my doctor that it felt like I wasn't doing as well as other people. He confirmed that I was outside of the average curve of his patients, but he reminded me I did not have the hip replacement for just arthritis but b/c I had a congenital abnormality. Because of this, he had to move the femur over by degrees, etc., and that my muscles, which from birth were used to a different structure, had to adjust after almost 48 years. When put in that perspective, a few months to adjust isn't that bad.

Imagine what your muscles are re-learning with an inch difference! Not to worry - they will get there with time. It never feels fast enough, but if you reset your time frame for being "normal" to 1 to 2 years out from surgery, you may feel more peaceful. After the initial recovery from the trauma of surgery, it's a gradual recovery that can be measured in months rather than days.

Wishing you the best of luck.
 
@toohip, my doctor is Dr. Bryan Nestor. I've known others who have used Drs. Pellicci and Su. I really think you can't go wrong.

Your surgery is next week! I don't blame you for being nervous. I was beside myself when I had the second one done on 7/21, even though I had been through the whole enchilada already. They know what they are doing, and natural jitters aside, you've made a great decision to go to HSS.

A tip for you is that you MUST ask them to give you your pain meds when you are in the hospital. You may think every four hours, they will ask you if you want your oral pain meds, but they don't. There will be a whiteboard by your bed that will have the last time you had your oral pain meds and when you can get the next pills. If you feel any pain, just ring the nurse button and ask them for your pain meds. This won't be as much an issue the first 24 hours, as you will have an epidural and pain pump, so you can self-administer pain meds; when they take you off the epidural, that's when the oral pain meds are very helpful. Also, if the pain meds make you sick or itchy, etc., tell them right away. They can give you something to alleviate the side effects. The first time I was dumb as I didn't want to be on all these meds, so I refused the anti-nausea and anti-itch meds. Not a good idea.

Also, I asked to be the first surgery of the day. You could call your doctor and make the request. You might not get it, but it never hurts to ask. I was the first surgery of the day (8 am) both times. You have to get to the hospital at 5:30 am for pre-op in that case.
 
I can't imagine that your doctor at HSS wouldn't take new xrays. I had my hips done at HSS, and it's definitely part of the pre-op day. If you are worried, you should call his office and confirm they will not be using the xrays from the previous practice. HSS is great, so you are in good hands.

@cthipster , so is it basically "standard operating procedure" then for HSS docs to do additional hip x-rays during the pre-op "screening" day for templates/measuring, etc. ? If so, then I'm good.

What do you think about doing the recovery Solo versus going to an In-Patient Rehab? Did you do yours solo?

I don't have anybody to come by everyone is working. Last weekend I tripped and fell flat on my face in the middle of the night, and it was like a wake up call, it was hard to get up. Both my hips are fused I have very little ROM (like none.)
 
@Zebra yes, that's what i meant (sorry if it wasn't clear) they take xrays during the pre-op day. did your doctor send you a schedule for pre-op day, mine did...that'll let you know all the times for everything. such as required laboratory tests, x-rays and an EKG...also, bring a lunch, cause your pretty busy most of the day...we got there around 10 am and left around 4 or so


Oh my goodness! I was at the hospital lab for just over an hour - they did my bloodwork, my EKG, and xrays...one right after the other. So glad mine didn't take as long as yours!
 
@Zebra, in my case it was, and it feels like SOP, but you should ask to make sure. I'm going to send you a message via the inbox, so we can keep the thread on topic. Not sure what the rules are but want to honor @ski123.
 
who is still using crutches, walker, canes, or walking sticks? When did you go without? I'm almost at 5 weeks and can only go with crutches. Without my leg is jello when doing squat like moves not even that deep. I thought I would be walking unaided by 3 weeks. How Is everybody else doing. Thank you, be well.
 
@ski123, I am almost at 3 weeks, and I mostly walk without the cane in the house, including up and down stairs. I use the cane when I'm out and about. I want to preface that I was in decent muscular strength before the surgery. Are you working with someone to re-engage your muscles in the operated leg? I'm glad you have the crutches as support.
 
Hi @ski123, I am still using a crutch when out at almost 11 weeks post op. I moved to one crutch at about 4 weeks. Personally I don't feel confident out and about without a crutch. I think you use an aid until you feel confident you can go without.
 
@NoraJ, where I am, I haven't seen doctors recommending the crutch as a walking aid. What do you think the difference between a crutch and cane is? Or are they the same? In other words, is the next step after the crutch to walk with no aids at all? Just curious and wonder if there are regional/country preferences for a crutch vs. a cane.
 
I'm not sure the difference other that a crutch is easier on your arm. I was put straight on to crutches in hospital and never used a walker. A cane was never suggested to me and the OS was happy for me to continue to use a crutch and then go without ie transition from crutch to going without an aid. I think it is a regional variation like PT is. Here in Ireland similar to the UK we don't generally do it after hospital. I'm doing it now as my gait is so poor and help move off the crutch.
 
7 week update! After 5 weeks I finally made a break through. I was able to drive again and I gave up the crutches for a cane. As stated before my original hip pain was gone before I left the hospital. I still have swelling and am pretty sore on the side of my leg. PT is the best thing ever! They do 1/2 hour deep massage and working on hardness beneath incision, hurts but I love it. Then 1 hour of exercises 1/4 stretching then 1/4 hour stim and ice. I do 2 sets of exercises daily about 1 1/2 hour per set. Along with the exercise bike and walking. I still am having trouble with getting the proper gait. Without the cane I digress quickly and do not want to be there. MY OS said if I don't have to go back to work, don't. I am lucky my company is willing to pay me full pay for up to 12 weeks. So now I can just concentrate on walking straight and strong. Thank you for all the tips and encouragement given here on Bonesmart. It seems like things are happening in 2 week increments, better, better, better. I can't wait to ski again this winter yeeee haaawww!! Be well everybody.
 
@ski123 , that is so great you are doing better and sounding better too! I remember you were pretty happy that your legs are even. You sound much more enthused again. Sounds like the PT is working.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom