Guest viewing is limited

THR Thank you so much Hippies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it rains it pours it seems. Was up all night due to the wonderful insomnia and at 8am my husband
says he needs to go to the ER. His chest feels so tight, hard to breath. We took him in and they've ran so many
tests and it's looking like some kinda heart failure, they kept him for tonight, I wanted to stay so bad, but sitting up
all last night, then sitting up in a wheelchair in the hospital all day, I feel like someones drilling at my incision site from the
inside out and my leg and foot is a gonner with swelling and pain. The best icepack they would give me was a small
rubber glove filled with ice. I need to sleep so bad and I'm gonna try again, but I had to stop by and say hi and cry
on your shoulders a bit. His mother died at my age with heart problems and that just has me turned upside down.

Bottomshollow, Oh yes, I have elevated and iced a lot..it just doesn't seem to do me any good, but I keep on
keep'in on...maybe it is and i just can't see it.
Deb, I went ahead and did that to my signature with some info. Good and helpful suggestion.. ty.

Oh yeah and why doesn't these high power pain killers work on the butt bone? I am one sore butted woman.

Peace all, keep us in your prayers and thoughts please.

Pam
 
Oh, my goodness, Pam. I'm so sorry that your husband is ill. I hope he gets the treatment he needs and is able to start recovery soon. I hope you can find some relief from your discomfort while you sit with him. I can only imagine how uncomfortable you must be. Holding both of you in prayer. Peace be with you. Linda
 
Pam, how awful for you both! Holding you in my heart and praying for this to turn out well! **Megaton Hugs**
 
He has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and high blood pressure. And will be in there another day
at least.
I went to the hospital for a couple hours then explained that I just couldn't do 12 hours in a chair like yesterday.
He was more than understanding. I am home now resting and just trying to get back the mental energy needed
to now take care of both of us.
Tomorrow is my two week follow up, I am kinda excited about it.. the relief of knowing everything is going
as it should be from my surgeon is much needed and I think I got this one pegged.
Thanks again for the kind words, prayers and good thoughts sent out into the universe.
Pam
 
Oh pam, I so sympathise with you having gone through this twice with my OH.

But you are doing the right thing by looking after yourself, you need as much of your energy to recover.

I hope you hubby will be ok :)
 
Just got back from my 2 week appt. Doc looked at my walker and said "why are you still using this?"
I said, "cause I wasn't told any different" Anyway, no more walker, cane when needed. He removed the
tape off my incision and said it was healing beautifully and I am to get back to life, swimming, shopping driving
whatever I wanted to do. Kind of floored me as I'm still swollen and still feeling pain to a degree, but........okay,
I'll take it. Next appt. in a month. :dancy:
 
What good news! I hope the great report from the surgeon helps you cope with all that is happening with your husband. I have found that sitting more than 45 minutes at a time just isn't good. I hope you are able to continue to care for yourself in the days ahead.
 
Well back to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.:puppysmooze:

Husband got out of the hospital and I got to come home and lay down knowing I don't have to go sit in a chair
for hours upon end, talk about relief. For the first time since surgery I slept a solid 6 hours and I can get back
to focusing on my own recovery again. He has to go on a very low sodium diet and I've been spending time
looking up recipes and learning to cook from scratch, not boxes and cans anymore for us. lol bleh

Anyway, the swelling is still here, but mainly in foot and ankle now.. it seems to be leaving from the top down
very slowly and as it leaves it feels bruised to the touch in the past swollen area. Well I don't touch it now. lol

I read where others are out and about shopping by now, (3 weeks) I really have no desire to do that yet.
My big adventures are going out to my yard and pruning a few flowers then sitting back down. I don't want
to over do it, but I'm slightly concerned with under doing it too. I can move around the house fine with a cane
but again after fixing myself something to eat, or showering , I find I just want to go sit or lay back down.
I did go to the grocery store, but I used an electric cart, that was actually fun. lol but should I not be using
that and trying to walk it with a shopping cart?

I think I have a limping habit I need to work on too. Any suggestions there?

Well I just wanted to hit base with everyone. Thank you all for the warm wishes for both myself and my
husband when we needed it most.

Pam
 
You did just the right thing at the grocery--those electric carts are great! I'm going to give you some links to Library articles that I think will help you better understand some of what is going on here in the first 3 weeks. Please read them--they have info you need.
Pain management and the pain chart
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of THR recovery
Energy Drain for THRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
This 90 degree rule and risk of dislocation

I think you may find that you have actually being doing too much. Sometimes it can't be helped. But try to be good to yourself. Keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Thank you so much Hippies.
 
I am so sorry about your husband. It is so mental draining. Remember you must take care of yourself. As for those grocery carts, they are a blast. I allow myself to have a extra round before I go home. Why not they are fun and everyone needs to play right. Remember we are here 24 hours a day so we are always open. Please take care. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Pam

Lots to be said for pruning a few flowers then sitting down to enjoy the results. I have had 2 THR (one for each hip) and a revision. I was not ready to face shopping earlier that 6 weeks in any of those surgeries---and I am an expert shopper ..lol. You are dealing with a lot right now. Surgery, husband's scare, life style changes, and recovery. Relax when you can. Don't go shopping unless you want to. If you can, use the little electric cart. Rest. Eat well. Rest. Heal. Don't worry about the limp yet. Give your self time. Take an occasional, or regular, nap. You are doing really well.

Good and healing thoughts coming at you!

Suki
 
Oh, Pam, your poor thing! You really have your plate full with your husband falling ill and you being so early out in your surgery! I am so glad that he was released from the hospital and you were able to get a good sleep.

Great that you had a good post-op doctor visit and he has given you the ok to use a cane!

Good strategy to use the electric cart! I loved tashia; 's suggestion to take it for an extra whirl for fun!

Limping, yes. It requirs a lot of attention and I noticed the more tired I am, the more I limp. I am hoping it goes away naturally and I will see a PT after 3 months if it doesn't. You are so early out, I would guess you are still relearning a normal gait.Were you limping before surgery?

Sending good wishes your way! You and your husband take gentle care of each other. Maybe you can explore cooking low sodium meals together?

Warmest,
Elle
 
Oh Pam you've got so much to cope with all at the same time, but you seem to be dealing with it really well. You must be some strong lady. Hang on in there x
 
I wish, I truly truly wish there was someway that I could express how very important and comforting your
words have been to me. All I can say is thank you though.. thank you so much.
:friends:
Today is one of those weepy days. One of those kinda "pain all up and down the leg and the medicine
isn't helping"... type days. It's with these type days that I begin to question my own recovery and method of
everything from sleeping to walking to driving to eating to elevating to icing .. lol you know what I mean.
So I sat down at the computer and log in here to verify that all this once again is "normal" and I see all of your
posts. Well now I am sitting here crying again, but not for my "bad day" but because you all have touched my heart
in such a strong way. Those of you that come here daily and support the people that are on here searching
for answers and support.. please don't ever stop.. whether you are thanked properly or not... you are needed
and so appreciated so don't ever think that what you say isn't being heard or needed.

Today will pass, maybe I did too much yesterday; even though I don't remember what I did. lol But I look
forward to tomorrow as I lay on my can all day today.

Bottomshollow, Thank you the links, I looked at every one of them and there was A LOT I didn't know
but now do.

Tasia, You're a nut. :heehee: I am going to take your advice and go that extra run around the store next time!

Suki, you are sooo right about the flowers and relaxing and enjoying them. I did a lot out in the yard before the
surgery. It's nice to just sit out there and see the progress they have had. That has to be mentally therapeutic,
just has to be.

Elle, Yep, have had the limp for about 6 years due to the arthritis in the hip. I favor that leg a lot even now when
standing still. I am sure it will go away in time, once I finally get it through my hard head that I am fixed. As
far as cooking with husband.. the man can only make oatmeal. (and not that good at that) YES I have been
having him in the kitchen with as I cook. I told him he needs to learn how to cook cause if I would die, he
wouldn't have to marry the first old skank-bag that came along, just cause she could cook. lol
Actually, I might just want a day off from the kitchen.

Jojo, Thank you for thinking I'm strong. Sure don't feel it sometimes, but maybe you are right...after all
I am bionic now.

Peace to All,
Pam
 
Dear Pam,
Yes... I think we all can relate to the up and down and up and down roller coaster of recovery. As our bodies heal, the only thing that we can absolutely count on is change. Every day will be different, and we never know quite in which way it will be different. That's a tough one to handle, especially because this is about our own body, our ability to be well, mobile and self-sufficient. So it's not just your body going through a lot, but also your psyche/spirit.

Like others have said before me, remember to be kind to and patient with yourself.
For me, the more frustrated I get, the more I tense up and the more I hurt and tense up. So now instead I try to imagine what I would tell myself if I was my best friend, standing next to me.
Hang in there, dear one! It does get better.
All the best to both you and your hubby.
And regarding the cooking.... treat yourself to a pizza delivery :)
You're worth it. And you certainly deserve it!

And last but not least... I'd send three dozen roses to the people who invented that sock-slip-on-thingy... brilliant!
 
By the time you get this I hope you did your extra ride around the store. Some time we need something different to make what happening in our world aceptable. I hope that your husband is better. I do this is very scary time for you but you must remember you still need to play. Please take care and cry if need it helps us face what we don't want to. :puppysmooze:Tashia:bicycle1:
 
Hello everyone! Just popped in to say hello and let you all know I had my 6 week check up yesterday.
They didn't do any xrays or anything, but doc said its all good and I have my next check up in a year.

The last couple weeks have been hell. 99% of the swelling in my legs and feet have left, but my feet
were feeling like someone was peeling the skin of them every time I would sit or lay down. I went to
a foot doctor 2 days ago about it since my surgeon was lost on why. The foot doctor said that all the
swelling in my foot for so long caused the nerve endings to be acting up. He prescribed a medicine
called Gabapentin, generic for Neurontin. I've been on it for 2 days now and this is the first day I've
woken without pain in my foot. I am really hoping it continues as the pain before was really unbearable.

My hip feels darn good tho. I am still on the pain pills, but I'm going try to take them only at night and use
tylenol during the day, we'll see how that goes.

Anyway I hope you all are doing well. Gonna go browse around other people's posts and do what we do. lol

Bless you all,
Pam
 
Pam, you are doing GREAT at 6 weeks! Congrats on getting your foot pain attended to. It's really a bummer when the BIG pain gets attended to and then you have to deal with all the stuff that either got put to the side, or was caused by the hip problem. For me, it's my knees :-) fortunately, neither one at replacement stage, but someone put some rice krispies in there for sure. Don't forget to continue elevating and icing, and taking it easy when you feel like it. I have made the mistake of feeling like I'm just being "lazy" when I'm exhausted from a day of doing stuff (esp. since I started back to work). But I just started PT, and he has really emphasized how very long this process takes, and to continue icing even though it might feel like you don't have swelling. I'm in week no. 9, and because of adhesion of scar tissue to muscle, I've got a fair amount of pain deep in my muscles around my incision. I started taking Tramadol again for all of my pain issues (Tylenol wasn't cutting it, day or night), but only "when needed" = 2 or 3 50mg a day. Remember that you'll have an easier time getting up and walking or doing PT if you are NOT in pain! I forgot that for a while a few days ago, and paid the price. Good luck, you and your hubby both!
 
Oh Pam, I'm sorry to hear about this nerve pain in the feet. I hope this is just a minor blip in the road.

Sharon
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom