PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone - you're all terrific! I slept like a log last night - took my meds at midnight and slept until 9am when the dogs protested that their breakfast was LATE.

The English mastiff takes the lead on this one and puts her giant head right next to my face on the bed and stares at me...if that doesn't work she sighs, repeatedly...if THAT doesn't work she lays down next to the bed and lets out these groany moany protesting noises like she's near death. That one never fails to make me laugh and the jig is up and food better be served! So I was up and had fed them and gotten dressed when I realized my meds were 9 hours ago and I was merely sore, no real pain. WHOO HOO!! Today I'll move from 4 perc to 3 a day - won't be long before I can be done with these pills!!

Hi @praise1989 - go you on managing that distance with that ROM, that's hard to do and I know your weather has been far from good. I know that low ROM is frustrating but as everyone has been telling me - we'll get there, we're just going slow and steady. I was amazed at what a difference the NOT pushing but rather just massaging and passively flexing my knee could do and more than that, it was when we started doing all the stretches for my quad that it made a huge difference. Prior to that I would have sworn it was NOT a quad issue but once it was stretched out, all the sudden my ROM went up probably 20 degrees.

Hi @Phil75070 - uncle! You win the crappy Texas weather but cold rain is NOT that much better. Looks like tomorrow we graduate to warm rain so that's something, I suppose.
 
Day one of reducing to just 15mg of percocet went well! There were a few uncomfortable moments but nothing that would make me need to up it again. I figure a week or two at this level and I should be able to move to just tylenol and tramadol and have a much happier digestive system!

Had a lovely anniversary dinner with my husband but the weather was horrible (for Austin) It was about 35 and misting so I nixed the dress and wore a pair of skinny jeans and knee boots....felt very odd to have something on that was not yoga pants! But it went just fine and didn't bother my knee at all :) I brought a gel pack and it slipped right into the top of my boot and we had a very relaxing, lovely meal. So nice to do things and feel normal!
 
Good news on the increased sleep and the pain reduction. Somedays now I forgot about my PKR for a few hours at a time. Sound like you will be getting there soon too. Everything got much better for me after a month - you should see small improvements every week now and you'll gradually get to do stuff you couldn't do a few days before.

Yesterday afternoon, I tried the getting up off the floor technique after my gym problem in the morning and twisted my knee! Ouch! Iced and elevated for a couple of hours and it's ok again! However I did manage to get up without leaning on anything! Whoop! But and it's a big but, it did involve me sticking my not insubstantial butt in the air as I did it! There's a lot of buts in that last sentence. Kneeling on the new knee also does not seem to hurt or feel too weird.

I read some research that if you practise kneeling (just for a second or two) on the replacement daily from about 6 weeks it's doable and gets more comfortable. They were talking about being trained to kneel correctly by a physio so I'm not advocating everyone trying it but I thought the research was interesting. Apparently, the control group who had never tried it regularly found it very uncomfortable or impossible to do. I think people were tested at the end of a year.
 
Laughing at the dog antics. My chow snuffles under the covers to find my face.

Way to go on dropping down on the percoset and the normal-feeling weekend. I had a similar experience, and it's just wonderful wonderful wonderful.
 
Week 5 seemed to be the turning point for me and the drugs. I only take percocet 2-3 times a day instead of 5-6 and get along in between with tylenol.
Glad you had a nice outing for your anniversary.
Today was my first time wearing big girl pants! (the things we get excited about)!??
 
Thanks everyone - really was a great weekend and so nice to feel like "normal" even if it is still a way to go for total healing. I made a big step for me today - I sent the note to my yoga studio to remove my membership from medical hold so I can start again. Hopefully they will do it today so I can get back into class tomorrow. So looking forward to it! There is a lot that I won't be able to do yet and that's ok - just being in there and doing what I can will be a great start.

I also just sent a note to my OS's PA asking if I can have something lesser than perc - now that I'm only taking 3 a day I realize just how strong they are when I take them and it feels like it's too much. Hopefully she'll be amiable to that, we'll see. If not, I'll just go directly to tylenol/tramadol - I know that several of you had to do that right from the hospital so there is no reason I can't do it if I need to.
 
Can you take half a Perc? Last time, I dropped to Vicodin, then half pills. Tramadol & NSAIDs seem to work really well for some, too. (I can't take them, sadly.)

Happy dancing for you on the yoga. It made such a huge difference in my sense of my self to get back to tai chi & swimming, even if I'm doing less that would be usual. Also, this morning, I have lots of little sore muscles in back and shoulders. :)

I'm going to give driving a shot tomorrow. Then can go swimming every day if I want.
 
Good luck going back to yoga class. Do you plan to kneel? @SuperSnapper i find it interesting what you said about kneeling. I am going to try it tomorrow because I always a kneeler and would miss it if I couldnt.
 
@janmont I knelt first on a pillow. That was ok so did it a few more times. Then I tried the carpeted floor , that's ok too. I can't do it for too long yet but it is doable. Try a soft pillow.
 
I am just about at one year on my right knee and 4 months on my left. I have yet convinced myself to try kneeling on either knee yet, pillow or no pillow.
 
Do you plan to kneel? @SuperSnapper i find it interesting what you said about kneeling. I am going to try it tomorrow because I always a kneeler and would miss it if I couldnt.

I have yet convinced myself to try kneeling on either knee yet, pillow or no pillow.
I had to wait six months to kneel. It does not hurt, but, boy, does it feel weird! I try to avoid it at all costs.
 
I do not plan to kneel just yet - I've been sort of working up to it by getting on all fours during my home yoga for cat/cow breathing and things like that but just resting it, not really weight bearing just yet. It does feel weird! I can see that if you wait toooo long to try you'd build up a psychological resistance to it. I'll try it on all 4s with weight baring on my bed and progress up from there.

Had a bit of a hiccup yesterday - came back from the grocery and changed clothes and noticed that my knee was really red and looking closer it had blistered up a bit. Sent a pic to my OS and he had me come in this AM. Verdict is a infected internal suture - he took some fluid from the joint to send to the lab but it's very unlikely that it would have spread. Started on antibiotics and will go back on Friday to make sure it's clearing up. He said to hold off on steam room/yoga/tanning etc until the suture issue was cleared up so there ya have it. Much better safe than sorry and I can still walk/cycle and do other PT. Will post some pics for reference.
 
[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!
[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!



the one with no strips if from today - the angry red one is from yesterday
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Oooh, that looks painful, Teresa. Is it? Glad you caught it and it was nothing too serious.
 
Hi Barbara - it would probably be pretty bad if we weren't so used to random burning/stinging but as it is, it's just another annoyance...I'm sure the percocet doesn't hurt, either :) I did get him to switch me to norco so I will start on that this afternoon, I'll stick the perc in the freezer in case I do something stupid later...

The worst part is that I just got the yoga thing reopened this morning. Still - clearly it's well worth waiting, hopefully he'll give me the green light to go ahead on Friday.
 
WOW, that looks sore! Glad you went to get it checked and the doctor put you on antibiotics! Fingers crossed...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom