PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - I'm doing nothing like that Karen, will add that in, as well - I have started using the rocker function on my recliner to encourage gentle bend, also - with all these tricks up my sleeve, I can't help but do well! it's not as good as water but on the cool days I might start warming the steam room up to 99 and work on my heel slides in there - can't hurt!

Today it unexpectedly turned to the 60s and sunny after a cold gray week so I was just able to do my walk in the sun and feel great! I used only my adorable/useless zebra cane...which is now in the donate box and a new actual can has been ordered, this one has changeable tips - normal cane bottom, a rounded sort of sport bottom good for walking outdoors and a spike bottom for ice or rocks. I am a girl that loves a gadget!

How's this for funny? My husband and I bought each other the same gift for our anniversary :-) I suppose that is a good sign? We both like protein shakes and I knew he wasn't happy with his work blender so I bought him the ninja smoothie addition - we have the Ninja pro at home and use it all the time...a box came in today that says ninja on the outside that looks just like the one I ordered for him. LOL.
 
Houston....we have a problem...I am practically a professional shopper and the new knee does NOT like shopping!!
Hopefully time shall mend this situation
At only just over one month from your surgery, your knee should not like shopping. It knows what it's doing, which is taking the time it needs to heal from serious trauma. Don't fight it; accept it. It's far too early to be worrying about this. You're going to hate this, but I am going to say it - PATIENCE!

if my ROM is not 120+ he plans to do an MUA.
I, personally, would not be happy with the outcome if the ultimate ROM is not beyond 120 so there you have it.
Doing an MUA because your knee is not 120+ so early is just plain nuts! It speaks to your impatience that you want it to be 120+ so soon. Doing an MUA will re-damage some of the healing tissues and will set you back for a few days. You are going to get there anyway. Why the rush? What you have at 8 weeks is not going to be your ultimate ROM, not by a long way.

How many times have you seen on here that you can continue to increase ROM for a year or more? This recovery is a marathon and you are approaching it like a sprint.

My problem is overdoing more than underdoing, I'm afraid.
Bingo! Correct!

I really don't think it will come to an MUA - even though the pics don't make it obvious, there is quite a bit of swelling. Dr Manual actually considered draining it but didn't think it was so critical it was worth the risk of infection.
Of course there is still swelling - and there will continue to be swelling, unless you rest your knee more.
For once, I agree with your doctor - draining the swelling would have subjected you to the risk of infection - and it's not necessary anyway. Rest, ice, elevate! that's the way to get rid of the swelling, not sticking a needle into it. I'm a bit horrified that your surgeon even considered it.
It's quite some time from now and I do understand that I cannot force my knee to bend...well, I suppose I could but it would do no good.
Why would you want to force your knee to bend? It will bend anyway, in its own good time - when you slow down a bit and concentrate more on (yes, I'm going to say it again!) Rest, Ice, Elevation.

You can't get your ROM to improve by working hard at it. Less work produces more ROM. Listen to Grandma here! :heehee: I've had 3 knee replacements and recovered with minimum amounts of PT - and my ROM on both knees is great.
 
Hi Teresa

I'm sorry to read about the possibility of MUA. like @DogLoverx3 neither of us were at or anywhere near 120 at 8 weeks, along with a few others in our little circle at that time who went on to greater things and made full recoveries by 12-16 weeks and 120 rom. Dogloverx3's rom now, although she's had the recovery from nightmaresville is better than mine and I ended up with a revision September last. My recent rom is 120/0. Ellen's without any ops is 150 plus. Absolutely marvellous!

I know that obviously you do trust your surgeon but I don't get why he feels the need for MUA when you've been doing so very well.

I'm only saying this to you because I care. You prepared yourself so well for all of this. You sought advice, you got strong, you researched and did everything humanely possible for a successful TKR.

I've watched you go from strength to strength and would hate for anything to wreck it like a surgeons personal rom targets. (Sorry!)

Please do not be offended by what I've just said. It's not meant to annoy it's just I wish you would talk to your PT or someone for their opinion or get a second opinion even. To me it seems drastic so early on when you are doing so very well. In point of fact better than most at this stage!

Take care Teresa
Love Ann x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ladies. I appreciate your concern and that you've taken the time to share your experiences.

Again...my Doctor has not said I need an MUA, he said that if nearly 5 weeks from now if we were not at a place he was comfortable, this would be his recommended course of action. I do trust him, I researched him and liked what I found so yes, if my Doctor, a Distinguished Fellow from Cornell, does recommend that I proceed with an MUA I will likely do so, even if that is not the advice from a well meaning group on the internet.
 
Just sitting on a strong table and letting your legs hang and then gently swinging them to get more bend is an easy exercise to do and you are just using gravity to help you. I think you have to got with what you are happy with.
Best of luck though.
 
That's so funny on the anniversary gifts! I guess that means you were meant to be! Did you find a dress for your anniversary outing?
 
I just got back from PT and my ROM went from 111 three days ago to 105. Just having a bad knee day, I guess. Woke up sore and swollen. Could be the weather, there's a front coming.
Just goes to show you what an up and down journey this is!
I see my OS next Wednesday and need to start thinking about when I'll return to work. I'm thinking 3/16.
I'm pretty sure my doctor will leave it up to me.
I think the steam room is a good idea. I know you can't use the tub yet, but when you can, a nice warm soak does wonders!
Hope you're havig a good day!
Karen
 
Ninjas are the gateway drug of blenders. Soon you'll be hooked on the hard stuff: Blendtec's and Vitamix.
 
Hi Barbara - no new outfit for Saturday - I did make one other attempt but everything in the stores now seems to be for summer and it's toooo cold for that just now. I will have to shop in my closet and hope for the best.

Hi Karen - sorry to hear about the reverse in the ROM - the weather here is completely crazy bouncing from 40 to 70s overnight and back again...this happens again this weekend but thankfully we bounce back up and it will be in the 70s for a week or so, assuming the weather man has it right! My original return was 3/16 but we just moved it for 3/27 - I could probably do it the week in between but my OS is on Spring break!

Hi Josh - lol on the gateway blender! I can't even fathom how awesome they are if they are really that much better than the ninja - all I really use it for is protein shakes though, I think anything higher would be a bit of overkill.

Thanks for the additional exercise SuperSnapper and for checking in Celle.
 
Hi @jebrig3164 - thank you!

I just came back from PT and it was great! I told him that we had way overdone it last week and that I'd had to up pain meds and revert to some of the earlier exercises. We tried the recumbent bike and I couldn't even comfortably do it on the farthest setting the machine went to so we abandoned all of that and did only massage and a bunch of different quad stretches and a little gentle strength training. By the middle of the session my leg had loosened up a ton and he took a measurement of 108 and by the end he said it was bending well beyond that but we didn't measure again. We have mutually decided that my walking and yoga is plenty of strength training and PT will focus on flex and stretching for now.

And now....it's nap time :yawn:
 
108 - going great! :yes!:

I'm certain that you are going to achieve your goals.

I like the policy you and your PT mutually agreed.
 
Teresa my ROM was measured yesterday at 123/120 and I can do just about anything because pain is not restricting me and other than walking I really have been doin very little PT..I met with the therapist yesterday and she told me they strive for 120 however she said she could get me to whatever I wanted to achieve with work..I signed on for the challenge but will not hurt myself...if I stay at 120 for the rest of my life I am happy to be free of pain...you will get there if you focus more on the healing process rather than ROM at this stage...at 108 you are far from needing an MUA....time heals all....

Vinny
 
Wow! Your scar looks awesome! And since I'm just a couple of days behind you, im tempted to take rest of my strips off too, as I feel that stinging feeling when trying to stretch.

I'm really impressed with your walking time:wow: it took me 1hr to walk 1.5 today....I suppose it has to do with my low ROM 80-85. You're an inspiration - keep up great progress!
 
What my research has shown is that functional activities generally require 0 to 120 degrees of flexion while normal ROM is usually considered to be 0 to 135 and some even say 140.

@TexasTee Absolutely NO complaining about your weather. It snowed here in the Dallas area for most of the day!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom