PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wooohoooo way to go. Congrats on a big win. Incision looks great. Maggie x
 
Thanks ladies! Doc is pleased - said my extension is great, work on my flex and quad strength. Will go back in two weeks and have x-rays done. I asked about stepping down on meds and after a few questions he recommended to stick with what I'm doing until the next appointment and see about it then. Kind of refreshing attitude. And he is right - the more I am moving the more I do have higher pain levels but he'd rather I move and take the pills than not as long as the swelling does not increase and it hasn't been.

Ellen - no - my knee area is still really numb so it didn't hurt at all - there were two at the very bottom that stung just a bit. Yes - I have the two incisions at the top and the tape is covering the matching two at the bottom, that is were the MAAKO robot deal is attached...kinda creepy! There is a third hole on the left side where the drain was.
 
Hey, you are the first one I've seen who has the computer guidance marks like me! Mine are off to the inner leg, but I guess it isn't very common. I'll go post a photo on my pages.

Looks really good and tidy. In six months it will be a tiny white line.
 
The repelling of staples is great isnt it less pulling around imcision thingy mine didnt hurt at all when removed. You are doing well lase just dont forget its still not that long since the opp so nae joining the dancing troop yet.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Thanks Brenda - it actually is quite swollen but it starts in mid-calf and continues all the way to mid thigh so it doesn't appear too bad - no worries, it will go away, eventually.

@ Legin Foiled! I was just completing my application for the Rockette's but if you think it's too soon...LOL

Love having the staples out - it might not, in and of itself, have anything to do with my ROM but since it no longer adds the pinching/burning pain when I do the bend exercises, I am able to do more.

I think today I'm going to attempt to get on the trainer and see how that goes - don't anticipate doing more than some rocking back and forth but it's a new approach at bend. Wish I had access to hydro - I will ask about it on Friday - I didn't see anything that would make me think they had a pool but they might just have a tank/hot tub type thing in another area. Worth a try! There is always my community pool - the water is probably 50-60 so it would be like water therapy AND icing at the same time...OR maybe not.

Took a long nap when I got home from the OS office - then did PT and took a long walk in the sun - followed by ANOTHER nap and then I went to bed at 10 and slept for 9.5 hours. I might be able to do a lot but there better be a bed in my vicinity so I can sleep it off!!!
 
They wouldn't let me into public waters until everything is a complete SCAR. No scab, nothing. My gym has a warm pool and that was the greatest thing with first knee--I haven't always been a big swimmer, but focused more and more on it when knees were getting bad--and it was absolute freaking heaven to just move my whole body without fear of injury in the warm, resistant water. I went every day once they released me.

One of the PTs told me there are special bandages you can use to cover the wound until it is completely healed, but she kind of said with a little grimace, "Maybe not worth the chance of infection, though?" and I had to agree. Jealous of @Maggie94 and her daily hydro therapy.
 
You are doing so well, and your scar looks amazing. Keep up the good work, but remember, there is a fine line between doing the correct amount of exercise and ODIC, and I still can't work out where that line is!
 
Well done @TexasTee xxx your scar is so tidy x if you can get some hydrotherapy sessions once your scars healed it will do you so much good. That was a turning point for my revisions improvement. So highly recommended yes x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
If you can get to hydro do it. The water is body temp and very soothing on the muscles plus there is the exercise benefit.
Happy hydro hunting Maggie x
 
Looks great Teresa...bet your see big improvement in flex now that the staples are gone..

Vinny
 
Thanks ladies - I will definitely ask! Hi Vinny - no real change as of yet in flex but it does make it less irritating to do the exercises and its MUCH easier to walk. I was able to walk .75 mile yesterday and today a full mile, no knee pain at all - yesterday I was very tired at the end but today I was fine. I'll leave it at one mile for some time until I am able to do it a little quicker with no need for the crutch (will bring it anyway)

To all that might be concerned- yes, I do understand that it is early for doing this and it would not be right for everyone but for now my body seems to be fine with it, I am prepared to back down if I need to - I also have a neighbor on call to come get me if I find I don't want to walk home. It's right for me.
 
Hey @TexasTee looks like you're moving right along! If you feel good, go for it because you're doing great!

That looks like the same bandage they put over my incision too, a real thick, rubbery one? Doc told me it was pretty expensive too (>$500!). And of course you've got the off-centered scar now...the official insignia of the PKR club!
 
Wow - I had no idea it was that pricey but I'm certainly thankful that my knee was still numb - that sucker was STUCK to my skin, I was watching the PA try to get it off thinking, you know, this should hurt....

How funny - I didn't even notice it's off center, I just thought it was weird swelling. Nice that I fit right in :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom