Guest viewing is limited

PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be better getting out for PT. It really helped me with the boredom. Slow down and let that knee heal. You are having a great recovery. You sure don't want a set back.
 
I too am afraid of staying on Percocet too long. I am 2½ weeks post op and today and up until yesterday, have been on strictly Percocet. Today, I had two doses of hydrocodone 7.25 and one Percocet. I will take Tylenol today before bed and hope it lasts. How has everyone else tapered off oxycodone? I happened to have the hydrocodone from before the surgery. My OS gave me 60 more percocets in addition to the original 60. It seems like it would be hard to go from Percocet to Tylenol. Any advice?
 
enjoy PT today Teresa and take it nice and s l o w another nice thing about the crock pot is that it smells great....my wife did ribs last week and they are terrific ..fell off the bone.....Today will go great..

Vinny
 
Thanks for all the PT well wishes - I'm excited to go! It's not like I haven't been doing things but somehow since it's not supervised, I feel like it doesn't count and I want to be well!!!! I sure hope the PT I am assigned is slow and steady as that is the last thing I am and two of us being gung ho might not be so good. Well, I will not do anything that is beyond discomfort so at least I have that going for me.

@janmont - I've been reducing the dose of perc and extending the time - today I realized I"m out as of Tuesday which is when I have my staples removed. I will be talking with my OS then about what other options I have. I am not ready for just tylenol and tramadol so I assume he will step it down to vicodin - hope it helps more this time than it has in the past, it might, this is a completely different type of pain than what I've used it for in the past. There is an article in the library about stepping down off of meds.
 
I'm so glad you're well prepared to stand up for yourself if needs be. Well done. Forewarned is forearmed x
 
Ha! Not much fear that I will stand up for myself, I've always been a bit of a scrapper :) My challenge is doing it in such a way that they feel like it's their idea so as to not have an ongoing battle. I'm terrific at it at work, we'll see if it translates to PT land. Or, even better, the session will be great and I'll have a real partner for my recovery.

Can't wait to find out!
 
It will be better getting out for PT. It really helped me with the boredom.
Yes---out-patient PT was a big plus++++!!!

It got me out of the house for a short period of time and let me hang around folks who were going through similar issues, and it also gave me a chance to feel good about myself---it got me out of the "blues."

My PT's did a great job of making sure that I did not go past the point of discomfort, and, at times, would reel me in. They never set goals for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Haha on the dog who was raised by a vegetarian. Poor thing. :)

I'm reading again, too, thank heaven. Are the short stories fiction or her recent collection of essays? I don't think I've read her short stories--that sounds good. I'm reading a novel, The Art Forger, which is a soft little art mystery and easy enough to follow, even in the middle of the night when I wake up and can't quite settle.

Enjoy therapy today!
 
Thanks Ann and Tim!

@Awriterafoot - reading really does make all the difference, doesn't it? I'm reading her collection of essays - "This is the story of a Happy Marriage" - yesterday is the first day in over a week I didn't feel dumber by the end of the day!!!
 
When I went off of the oxy, I started Tylenol with codeine (Tylenol #3) and it worked very well for me... sometimes with a tylenol or two in between doses if I only took one. I still have some left and if I have a busy day or the weather makes me considerably achy, I'll take one before bed and sleep through like a champ and wake up feeling much better!

Can't wait to hear about how PT goes for you today :)
 
First PT - check! So - started the appointment with some sobering news - my numbers are nowhere near where I had thought they were - Flex is 72 and extension is -7....I had thought I was 85/90 and close to 0. However, he (Marcus) said it was fine and was really happy with my gait and that I was only using one crutch. (side note on the crutches - he highly approves of the inmotion crutches I got from Amazon - he said that is what the NFL uses, he interned with Houston's team)

Appointment was much longer than I expected - about 45 minutes. Only the straight leg raises with a flexed foot caused me any actual pain, we used a lift and it was doable. The others were just variations of things I'd already done with a lot more repetitions than I had been doing. He did add the leg extended with a rolled towel under my ankle and a 2lb weight over my quad for 6 minutes and that was uncomfortable to the edge of pain but he told me to take the weight off at any point if I needed too. He thinks that after my staples are removed I'll gain a ton of ROM, he did a passive motion rotation with my leg and said that it moves really well and thinks that I'll be happy with the results once we get the swelling down.

He ended the appointment massaging around my knee and manipulating my knee cap - interesting sensation but zero pain. Sent me home to ice and elevate! Told me that it was obvious that I had been doing exercises and would continue to do them so while I could come as often as three times a week if I wanted too, he didn't think I needed to go more than once a week to check in and get some new exercises. He also told me to do each exercise once a day and that more is not better. SO, looks like I have the slow and steady partner that will be perfect to get me back in business! Oh, btw, he checked the flex on my non-op leg and it's 152.

Hit the wall hard on the way out of the office - not pain, just zero reserves - I actually saw stars for a moment before I was able to get into the car and nearly was sick on the ride home. Purely exhaustion though, I came in and ate some of the lunch my husband had gotten while I was in session and now I feel fine.
 
Totally agree on the flex once the swelling goes down Teresa...your flex will increase gradually each week.....got the first one out of the way and staples or stiches are certainly a hindrance. ...enjoy the weekend with lots of ice..

Vinny
 
He did add the leg extended with a rolled towel under my ankle and a 2lb weight over my quad for 6 minutes and that was uncomfortable to the edge of pain but he told me to take the weight off at any point if I needed too.
I'd be inclined to start without the weight and only add it in a few weeks' time.

He also told me to do each exercise once a day and that more is not better. SO, looks like I have the slow and steady partner that will be perfect to get me back in business!
Great! More is not better.

We know you, Teresa, and we know you have a tendency to overdo, so please remember that slow and steady is going to win this race.
 
Oh dear - another one to overdo the exercises - join the club :heehee:.
I feel guilty now for not telling you, I'd forgotten all about it, after my first TKR I would always take a sandwich to my PT sessions, I was also starving afterwards and needed food. This time it hasn't been so bad.
 
Thanks, everyone! Now I know where I'm starting - I'm sure that I'll improve from here. Knee is fine after the nap - some zinging pains that weren't there before but I'm also spreading the pain meds out again to one every 6 hours so I think that's reasonable.

Interesting that you had the same response Lyn! I had a protein bar before I went since I knew lunch would be delayed - thank goodness, I wonder how I'd have felt without it? Better that I didn't find out :)
 
I'm glad to hear your PT is not the type to push! I hope you aren't disappointed by your "numbers"...like you said, it's your starting point! Definitely slow and steady, as you can attest to how much it takes out of you this early in the game.

If you need more pain meds, definitely take them! (Sorry, I'm kind of a broken record. Haha)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom