PKR TexasTee finally has a new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd choose lunch out on a sunny patio with a handsome man over shopping any day of the year! I think you made a good choice! ;-) I went shopping earlier and it was like grand central! We all have our limits and need to test them now and again in order to learn. Some progress faster than others. You are doing wonderfully well! You seem to be balancing your activity with rest, ice and elevation, so good job! It's easy to misinterpret things, all the way around, when there is concern, pain and pain meds involved! You're a perfect example of how each recovery is different! I like the idea of trying just 1 new thing at a time and that way you'll get a better handle on what is and isn't doable at this stage.

Keep up the great work!!
 
Teresa I would trust your own feeling on this one....you are two weeks out tomorrow and going out should not be out of the question if you feel up to it......I also on the ROM issue as I had more once the stitches came out and I was never measured until PT was over....you will start to see continued improvement,at least I did, when you are able to get out and about...

Vinny
 
Good point @Awriterafoot - my husband also insists on dropping me at the door so there was virtually no walking involved, I'm sure that helped, too.

Hi Ellen - yes, it really was no contest when looked at in that way - Sunday grocery shopping with the masses or a lovely lunch with my husband? - Clear winner!!

Thanks Vinny - I'm glad to hear that you did feel that the stitch removal helped - I'm pretty over being stabbed with these staples and am very much looking forward to them leaving!
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch out, Teresa!

Good decision to ditch the shopping! You could try that another day, when you don't have anything else planned. For quite a long while I found that I didn't have enough energy reserves to do more than one thing each day.
 
Hi Teresa,
We all have different journeys and learn to listen to our bodies. I know I did something early on that set me back (I can't even remember what it was now), but some of us are just able to do more sooner than others. It's not a one size fits all journey. You're doing great, kiddo. Keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Thanks Celle and Karen! It really is amazing how differently each recovery goes - and yet - we all reach the same place in the end.

I was a bit more sore and swollen than usual last night so I did up the overnight meds to 1.5 oxy - feel fine this am so back down to 1. I am SOOO looking forward to removing the staples - that was what hurt last night, a burning from the incision area.

It is going to be sunny and 80 again so I'm looking forward to a short walk outdoors to warm up for my PT this afternoon. Hope everyone is feeling great!
 
I went to the grocery store sat and rode around in the motorized cart. I walked from the parking lot to the entrance to the carts and walked back out. We stayed in the store an hour. I think that trip helping my mood and wellbeing, which too, is another form of recovery. I think it helped my frame of mind as I too, am normally active. When I got home I was a little tired but I iced and elevated. I agree with @writerafoot, we all have different energies.
 
Hey Teresa. I agree w the others...ditch the shopping go the nice things. There is always online... Our major grocery stores provide this option...online then stuff dropped off to your kitchen bench. I assume u have that in the US.
How much longer till you lose the staples? That is a big WIN day. Take care Maggie x
 
I'm glad you enjoyed your lunch out, Teresa!

Good decision to ditch the shopping! You could try that another day, when you don't have anything else planned. For quite a long while I found that I didn't have enough energy reserves to do more than one thing each day.
for my first little jaunt I stopped in at the Hs where I taught, and then my wife qucily drove me to Home Depot to purchase a huge snowblower.

After that (about 1 1/2 hours) I slept for the entire afternoon.

As Falstaff said in Shakespeare's Henry IV, "The better part of valor is discretion..." And you made the correct decision.
 
Totally agree @janmont - it is terrific for morale to have small glimpses of the future! I also agree that it's best to pace myself though and keep the trips out brief for now - plenty of time for longer jaunts later.

Just had a beautiful short walk in the sun, I would have loved to stay out longer but again discretion rules the day (nice one @referee54 )- back inside, took my pill and will nap soon, if I still feel good after home PT I might decide on a second trip outside - probably will just sit on the patio with the pups though.

@Maggie94 - staples come out tomorrow!! Cannot wait!
 
Ooh, goody, staples coming out. Don't expect a big change in ROM, but that psychological feeling that makes you feel you can't bend your knee will disappear, and exercises will hopefully be easier afterwards.
I'm so jealous of your warm temperatures, I am so fed up with being cold, and I can't even escape to France this summer because of grand child number twos expected arrival - not that I'm complaining about that :happydance:.
 
Thanks Vinny - I'm glad to hear that you did feel that the stitch removal helped - I'm pretty over being stabbed with these staples and am very much looking forward to them leaving!

Oh yes! My staples drove me bat crazy and I couldn't wait for them to be removed. It felt so good and my ROM increased, too!
 
Hi Teresa,
We all have different journeys and learn to listen to our bodies. I know I did something early on that set me back (I can't even remember what it was now), but some of us are just able to do more sooner than others. It's not a one size fits all journey. You're doing great, kiddo. Keep up the good work.
Best Regards,
Karen

@kaw205 It was your crazy PT guy Danny that set you back.
 
So, how are you getting along since your surgery Texas Tee? From my figuring, it seems that you probably have a couple of weeks behind you now. I'm not too far ahead of you in recovery. I had my right knee done on Monday, Jan. 5th....it was five weeks yesterday. I told my daughter over the weekend that I finally felt like I was turning a corner and feeling somewhat better. It takes ya down for awhile, that's for sure,and it's not pleasant. So glad to have these five weeks behind me and am looking forward to getting
more time past the surgery date because I know it only gets better with time.
Hopefully you're doing better at this point and your pain meds are working well for you. Hang in there and take care!
ConnieJo TRNR 1/5/2015
 
Hi ConnieJo - yes, I'm at 2 weeks and things are going really well, thank you! Staple removal is today, in just over an hour, super excited to be rid of them. I am glad to hear you have turned a corner, congrats!
 
Whoo hoo, staples out! It will be great to see the surgeon, too. Mine gave me a bunch of photos and computer images of before and after when I went for follow up. The most dramatic was the correction of the curvature of my leg, 6% to 0%.
 
That's cool! I was planning to ask for a copy of my surgery notes but pic's would be fantastic! I don't think I had anything more dramatic than a lack of cartilage though. I do think I'm taller - wonder if that is true? I've always been tall at 5'11 but since the operation it seems like I'm taller, still...my husband is 5'9" and yesterday he accused me of growing :-)
 
Staples are out!
[Bonesmart.org] TexasTee finally has a new knee!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Uhm..... pretty? Do you have 2 little incisions above? I only had 1 above and 1 puncture below. Interesting. Tidy little scar though! Did it hurt?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom