Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection* Tattoos

Post Op Day 4

Today is rough. We had our teams last t-ball game today. I sat in the dugout and had my leg up. Even before we left for the game, I noticed my lower leg really swelling up. My foot looks a lot like a purple football (American). My calf looks like a tie dye shirt. The pain medicine isn't even really touching the pain right now. I am giving the CPM a break for tonight so I can simply rest.

If it continues to hurt this much, my OS might be getting a phone call tomorrow.

On a side note, got me a new t-shirt. It's the Six Million Dollar Man.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
i loved reading your introductory post ~ very sweet. i'm impressed at how much you've been able to do so soon after surgery, even though it may have cost you some extra swelling and pain. you're a good daddy for sure. sorry you're more swollen and in pain ~ i hope a good night's rest and a few days rest will help. best wishes to you and your family and thank you for your service.:angel:
 
Hopefully a night of ice and elevation will do the trick!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Probably I'm being silly and blowing this out of proportion, but this afternoon I started running a low grade fever of about 99.2. Normally I sit right around 98 so this is starting to become a real fever.

Tonight, despite taking Tylenol and ibuprofen, it keeps creeping up. Now it's at 99.8. Surgeon says not to call until 100.4, is a fever pretty normal 4 days postoperative? In my other surgeries, I usually run a low one the first night and then it goes away.

I'm continuing to ice and elevate.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Most people do experience a slight rise in temperature after a knee replacement. It's your body's reaction to the trauma. I think (and hope) that your temperature rise is also a normal reflection of over-activity. You're a good Dad, but you simply have to take more care of your knee for a while.
Keep an eye on your temperature, but concentrate as much as you can on resting, icing and elevating your knee. It could take a week or so before it settles down again and the pain recedes.
 
Hey Matt,

I can't see your operation hx via the mobile app, but I believe this is your first knee replacement? This is much more intensive than normal knee surgeries. The doc just removed a couple of chunks of bone from your body and there was significant blood loss. Not as much as a TKR of course, but you've been through some significant trauma. I had 6 knee surgeries prior to my PKR and thought I was hot you know what. I had no idea what I was getting into. It's been a very humbling experience. This is not like an ACL surgery where you can just power through the recovery.

I prided myself on being active after my PKR surgery, but for the first 10 days I did next to nothing. You're body/knee is telling you to slow down. Your knee is in charge right now and it's angry. Take it easy if at all possible. Being a father of a preschooler I totally get what you're doing, but you need to dial it back for a few weeks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had a low grade fever (under 100) on and off the first week. It's very common and nothing to be concerned with... just keep an eye on it!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 5

Today is much better. Not necessarily from a pain, swelling, or fever standpoint, but just because I didn't have to get up. It's almost like I can tell that there's actual healing happening when I'm just sitting in the CPM machine. Lots of ice, continuation of pain meds, good times.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi there @ridgw003, welcome to the lateral PKR club! As @mcirish noted, we're an elite group. You've made it through the initiation and are now ready to learn the secret handshake :snork:.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
 
Lol not sure about the whole elite thing. I kind of see it as an apprenticeship before a TKR or whatever cool solution they have for knee replacements in 10 years, knock on wood.!
 
McIrish, this is indeed an elite club. We are the cream that has risen to the top, the best of the best. We have managed to do something that nobody does, hurt the unhurtable compartment.

This is the greatest honor I have had in my life.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One week today!

Had to visit to hospital yesterday to rule out a DVT. All is well. Followed up with doc today. Get to lose my crutches, but I have to wear compression stockings.

Staples come out Thursday, and I was advised that even though I'm off crutches, he still wants me off it and keeping the knee iced and elevated.

The surgeon gave me the mold for my knee and the trial spacer as a souvenir!
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170606_343e9153928efb326d2d0f8c264a7977.jpg
 
It was ConforMIS. I actually double checked everything on the X-ray today. They kept saying I was in for a postop on my left knee. I kept telling them it was the right one and I could prove it. It IS the right one.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Looks good Matt, get your rest!!


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
Hi Ridgw003, we haven't met yet, but I just came across your recovery journal and you had me laughing from the start. I had a TKR, but I'll bet the PKR is just as painful and the recovery just as miserable in many ways. Let's face it, you still have 2 bones sawed in half and a piece of joint removed....*good times* in your words!. :yahoo:Your humor will definitely get you through, especially if you get more rest. And ice. And rest....
 
It's been a week and a half and I am really enjoying my new knee. Yes, there is pain when I walk and it's gets pretty stiff after being still for a while. The kicker is, that since I ditched the crutches on Tuesday, the pain I was having in my hip is gone. Surgeon attributes this to the corrected anatomy taking pressure off of where it shouldn't have been in the first place. Now if I could only do something about the pain in my other hip, but I guess that comes with being shot there and having a good story.

There are times that I tend to overdo it, I'm working on not being so overachiever-ish.

I think this surgery was one of the best decisions I've ever made (except of course for my choice in a spouse).


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Great report!! Even though the recovery is tough, it's great to know that you made the right decision.

Amazing how connected everything is. Knee impacts hip...
Hip impacts back... and so on. Fixing one helps the other. Unless you were shot of course! I guess there's not much to do for that!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope your taking care Matt,busy guy you are! Make sure you ice and let the swelling diminish! It took me about 4 and 1/2 months to really start to feel normal, swam with my grand kids yesterday, played Marco polo for at least an hour, good to be back!


R Partial Knee Replacement 11/28/16
 
Doing ok. Tried to sleep in bed last night. My over eager 5 year old was sneaking in and stepped on my knee. Yeah, I'll be back on the couch for another week.

On the bright side, I am continuing the ongoing joke of telling my wife that my knee needs to be relubed every three months. It's fun.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom