Knee Infection* Tattoos

A bit more than two weeks post op. Feeling better for the most part.

I am somewhat concerned about how the incision is healing. It's still weeping quite a bit. I'm thinking they might have taken out the staples a bit to soon. I have attached a pic of it from today. The part that looks more open is where they opened up an incision from my OATS last June 14 (2016). I think that might be contributing to the non adherence a bit.

Let me know what y'all think!

Matt

Tattoos

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, you may find that part of your scar ends up looking wider than the rest. That's what happened to mine, where the surgeon had used the same incision line to do my revision from PKR to TKR. Give it a while longer and it should heal OK.

Thanks Celle! My biggest concern is that it is still weeping blood and some small dollops of pus like stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Scars are funny things. For some reason my scar from my PKR was quite wide. They then used the same incision for my TKR revision 6 years later and it's very narrow. I would have thought it would be the opposite.

When is your next appt with the OS? If it's a way off, maybe call and ask what they think. Peace of mind for you.

@ridgw003 - If your incision is oozing pus, then you need to see your surgeon as soon as possible.

Scheduled an appointment for Monday just to get it checked out. No fever or anything. Keeping it uncovered as much a possible to air it out.

The air should help to heal it. But if you want to wear any clothes that might rub on your wound, cover the oozing part with a dry, sterile dressing.
I'm glad you've made an appointment to see your surgeon. If it's nothing, you will be reassured and if it is anything that needs some action, you'll be in the right place.

Thanks all,

Doc said he wasn't worried about infection. Just said it's taking longer to heal than the other parts since he went along my OATS scar.

On another note, when did y'all start sleeping in bed? I tried it last night with a miserable outcome. I have to tonight as well, since my wife is out of town and I have the kids. My dad is here, but he has vowed not to change any diapers!

I slept in bed right away (didn't really sleep though) but others have spent months sleeping in their recliners because it was more comfortable than bed. I always started out elevating. Around week 3-4 I was able to sleep on my side for an hour or so by placing m left leg over the RTKR. Hope everyone stays asleep for you tonight!

Thanks! The five year old sleeps with me when moms gone. I have been on the couch since surgery. The elevation is right and I can get a great position for my knee. The bed...not so much.

What about a sleepover on the living room floor for the 5 year old? They love a little excitement.

When my wife is home, she camps with me down stairs. She loves it. The baby's crib is upstairs and I need access to him so these nights, it's a no go.

I've slept in bed from the beginning. It takes a ridiculous amount of pillows to get comfy! One or two under my head,
One under each leg, and along side me for my arms (otherwise my shoulders ache).
I'm now finally able to sleep on my side, but it was a rough go until then.
Good luck! [emoji42]

I alternated between the bed and the recliner for about 3 months. Sleep wherever you can.

It's a shame your wife has to be away right now, but do your best to look after your knee as well as the children.

Is it possible to have the baby's crib downstairs, so you can still sleep on the couch? You and your knee still need to rest as much as you can. If your Dad will do everything except change diapers, you all should be able to manage.
Nowadays, with disposables, changing diapers isn't the big deal it used to be. I remember having 3 pre-schoolers, all in cloth diapers. Now I know what a breeze it is to deal with my young grandchildren in disposables.

Hi all!

Been a month now. Knee is feeling better. I can definitely tell when I've used it too much.

Incision is closed mostly. I have two spots, over a previous incision, that haven't closed yet. I smacked my knee of the bed tonight. It broke out the hard scab like bit. Under, it really looks like fat. Not going back until the 10th (followed by a cross country drive to Iowa!).

Hi all,

Scary times tonight. The incision still had two small open spots about 1 cm long. I was walking and my knee gave a bit. I caught myself but the knee kind of bent and bore the weight of the near fall. Pretty much exploded out of the top opening. Lots of blood gushing, spurting, and free flowing out. Estimated about .5-.75 liters.

Took a trip to the ER. Steri stripped closed, knee immobilized, and prophylactic antibiotics. I am following up with OS after the 4th.

It relieved a lot of pressure in there, but I hadn't lost that much blood since I was shot.

I chalk this up to the OS using and old incision site for the new one. Year old scar tissue doesn't heal as well.

I have been instructed to not be on my feet at all and to use crutches (again) if I need to pee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, jeez how frightening for you! I hope the recovery from this incident goes smoothly. Rest and heal!

I was at least able to maintain my composure. It helped with the kids I think. Not sure why they didn't keep or admit me. I'm still soaking through gauze about every hour is so. Crazy!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back