PKR Taking it steady

Well I don't know what happened yesterday but when I got up my knee just felt different and it was good different. I can't really explain but it feels good not perfect of course but good. I have been walking round the house for a few weeks now without aids but still felt a little clumsy and perhaps not as stable as I would want to be but yesterday poof! it just felt stable. I am soooo happy which of course will only last until I get used to the improvement and then want more :heehee: And I will of course have to try to stop myself for upping a gear and making moves that could cause problems or from doing too much as I do now know that too much only sits you back on your backside resting for longer periods when if only we just take it steady we can carry on moving and improving. 40 rotations on bike yesterday - no tension and seat still hight but next week we are going to lower the seat a bit - I really know how to live eh!:rotfl: Oh and I am doing my first ever yoga relaxation class next Thursday. It really feels like I am coming out of a dark tunnel and after saying 'never again' I said to my hubby yesterday "I will have to consider having my right knee done if it gets worse. Never did I think I would hear those words coming out of my mouth :heehee: If I haven't wished my Bonesmart buddies a Happy New Year I do so today and I hope we all have a good recovery year!! xxx
 
Sounds like you are on the road to living again! Well done - but do take it easy. Remember that recovery does not happen in a straight line.

Here's to a better 2022 for all! :cheers:
 
Sounds like you are on the road to living again! Well done - but do take it easy. Remember that recovery does not happen in a straight line.

Here's to a better 2022 for all! :cheers:
Wise words Jaycey - I just said to hubby that I now need to be careful as my head wants to do loads of things that it now thinks my body can do but getting up and in the shower and doing a few excercises including static bike I realise that my body is telling my head to take a hike, it is still tired. Hubby will hopefully make sure I don't stray too far towards the ODIC.
 
Good morning my Bonesmart friends. Well it never rains but it pours. I havn't been on the site for a few days because on Saturday morning I was rushed into hospital and it would appear that I have had DVT resulting in a pulmonary embolism. I am left with blood clots in both lungs and am on anticoagulants and will be for at least 6 months. I came home last night to continue recovery at home.

So there I was last week I was just starting to feel normal and I was able to zoom, albeit slower than I used to, round the kitchen, I had started Yoga relaxation classes and was going to go to my first beginners yoga class this week and I was going to update my thread with all my good news. And now I am set back to taking it easy for 2 weeks before gradually increasing activity again.

I nearly didn't call 111 as I thought I would wait till Monday to see if I passed out again or if my breathless did not go but my little sis told me to call 111 - my hospital consultant said "well done sister" I might not have made it to Monday if I had not called when I did. I just thought I had a chest infection!

I am struggling to work out what to do vis a vie too much and not being active enough but hubby said that we are going back to the beginning and he is taking over the kitchen - I am welcome to be in there with him resting when necessary but he will do the cooking again. We will also go back to driving to the sea front (just started walking further) for a little walk until I can breath better and the anticoagulants start to work. And walking will be only for pleasure so he will do the shopping etc. After two weeks he will review the situation and see what he will allow me to do :heehee: oh and I am back in conpression socks when not moving around so that late pm through the evening and overnight :sad:.

Sorry if this is all a jumble but the last few days have been strange. I am still keeping chirpy - no point in letting it get me down. I will get over this and my knee will improve on its own of that I am certain- bed rest for 3 days and I have a ROM of about 115 without doing anything to improve it - it just happened - so all those bonesmarter worried about ROM - Dont.

Take care all you bonesmarters xxx
 
@Carol Anna So sorry you ended up with DVT. That's serious stuff! Thank goodness your sister encouraged you to make that call!

For our members who are worried about this, what were your symptoms? Were you on blood thinners just post op? Many surgeon prescribe blood thinners routinely for this purpose.

Glad you are now on the mend. Please take care of yourself!
 
So very sorry @Carol Anna to hear this news. Thank goodness you followed your sister’s advice as embolisms are a serious issue. Your positive attitude will help you overcome this. So your job for now is follow doctors orders to the letter and not to worry about your knee - if cleared to do so then walking, gentle stretching and bending will be enough to keep it where it is. You’ll get back to your planned activities but for now you just have to safely dissipate those clots. Sending best wishes and a virtual hug to you.
 
@Carol Anna So sorry you ended up with DVT. That's serious stuff! Thank goodness your sister encouraged you to make that call!

For our members who are worried about this, what were your symptoms? Were you on blood thinners just post op? Many surgeon prescribe blood thinners routinely for this purpose.

Glad you are now on the mend. Please take care of yourself!
Hi Jacey
I felt like I had a chest infection, a bit heavy in the chest, a bit of a cough but not much, breathlessness when I went upstairs which I put down to not being as fit as I was due to imobility before and after op, On Saturday morning I just went to get up I bent down to pick something up and went hot and dizzy and fainted. I still thought it was a chest infection and was convinced that I would be ok to wait till Monday to see my GP if necessary. I don't know why but I just wanted to ring my sister and I am so glad I did. Unfortunately it is a bit of a silent killer and we convince ourselves, or I did, that its just a bit of a cold.
I was on thinners for 10 days after op only, maybe I should have been on longer and perhaps before- who knows. I was also on HRT which was suspended one month before and should have been re-instated no earlier than one month after but as I had a bad reaction after the op to coming off it was recommended that I go back on and the surgeon was less concerned as I was on thinners. That maybe sharing too much but I just want to be open and honest about this particularly if it might help someone else.
 
Last edited:
That maybe sharing too much but I just want to be open and honest about this particularly if it might help someone else.
Absolutely not too much information. Many of our members fear they will experience this. I think your description will help many people. Thanks!

It's interesting you were only on blood thinners for 10 days. Post both my THRs I had to take them for one month.

Take care and please keep us updated!
 
@ CaroI Anna, I am so sorry to see that you’ve had these blood clots! And so glad your sister insisted you get it checked out immediately. It’s so easy for any of us to “ dismiss” symptoms, especially if they don’t seem that bad, or we can find other explanations. Years ago, my big brother’s wife told me, “ when one of us is sick, the other one makes the decisions.” She’s always had such wisdom, just in general, & we both took note of this little tidbit she passed along, & it has served us well over time. We don’t always think clearly when we aren’t feeling good. You’ll have to give that sister a big hug next time you see her.
No doubt, you are taking it easy for a while as you recover. Take your time. As @ Patriciad said, follow your Dr’s orders to the letter. And as you said, your knee will continue,& you will recover. When I had my infection & cleanout surgery, it hit me pretty hard, & I was concerned that it would really set me back in my recovery. It did, for a while, but I didn’t fight it. Just in the past 2 weeks or so, I just seem to be rebounding, probably faster than from my initial TKR. So do listen to your body, it will probably need a rest, & will let you know what, & how much you can do. It sounds like you’re already off to a good start with your ROM. And, you obviously have a wonderfully supportive husband in your arsenal. That’s Huge. ( I’m doing more & more cooking now, & enjoying it, & we do some together, that’s fun, but he still does the Best old fashioned oatmeal & 8-grain cereal some mornings, that will be his job!).
Do take care, I’ll be keeping you in my prayers, for a full & better than ever recovery. You have such a positive attitude , one more big part! Take care
 
I’m so sorry to read about this blood clot, and so glad you caught it in time. You have an amazing attitude! Best wishes for continued healing! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank goodness you called & got some help! That is very scary! So glad you are ok & glad you will be following Dr.s orders! Rest up & take care of yourself! :prayer::console2:
 
That maybe sharing too much but I just want to be open and honest about this particularly if it might help someone else.
Absolutely not too much information. Many of our members fear they will experience this. I think your description will help many people. Thanks!

It's interesting you were only on blood thinners for 10 days. Post both my THRs I had to take them for one month.

Take care and please keep us updated!
When I go for my follow up appointment in a few weeks I am going to ask more about how it might have happened - was more concerned with what was happening over the last few day but now I want to know more information about how so I can avoid in future particularly if I have to have my right knee done. I also had an episode of pain and breathlessness last May and don't know if that was a PE if it was the op had nothing to do with it. A lot of questions but for now concentrating on getting well.
Thank goodness you called & got some help! That is very scary! So glad you are ok & glad you will be following Dr.s orders! Rest up & take care of yourself! :prayer::console2:
I know! I just thought I had a chest infection!!! It is still a bit scary but I will try to put it behind me and just concentrate on recovery.
 
@Carol Anna just checking in with the hope that you are feeling and doing better. I can imagine that you would have lots of questions re the cause of the embolisms and now the initial shock has worn off you will be in a clearer frame of mind to get some answers when you go back for a follow up. Meanwhile try to relax and heal from all the added stress. Healing wishes being sent your way today.
 
I want to know more information about how so I can avoid in future particularly if I have to have my right knee done.
Yes, do discuss this with your surgeon. I imagine they will put you on blood thinners for a longer period of time. I hate them - but they are literally a lifesaver!
 
Thanks @patriciad - lets hope I can get away without an op on right knee. I am not sure just now I can cope with anything else. I ended up with my left knee needing a partial replacement when I tried to up my excercise with what I thought was gentle excercise, walking a little gentle running in the fresh air which seemed to help with chronic migraine which I have suffered since I went off sick from work two years ago with burnout. I never had problems with left knee till 6 months ago and it went from nothing to severe pain where I could hardly walk. I have now have had knee done and end up with a PE!!! Whatever I do to help recovery from burnout seems to just back fire!!! Trying to not feel sorry for myself as I know there are people out there worse off than me and the good thing is my knee has come on in leaps and bounds. I can now sleep on my side a little and need no aids whatsoever to walk round. When I go out again next week (have been house bound this week) I am only going to take my hiking stick as I will not be walking far due to lungs still having blood clots which makes breathing a little laboured if I do too much. I will get over this and feel it was all worth it for a no pain knee. I still a little scared and will be much happier when my lungs have had chance to repair and I feel more normal. And even though I will still be left with the symptoms of chronic migraine I can hopefully get that under control.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You are more than entitled to be feeling sorry for yourself! What a lot you have been through both physically and mentally. Sounds like you might still be dealing with your original burn out as still suffering from migraines. I truly sympathize as have suffered in the past and know how debilitating they can be. I hope you have a prescription medication that the doctor has said is safe to use with your embolisms. I too would feel anxious about the PE who wouldn’t be? It’s early days and you will heal. Your knee is progressing in the right direction and once you are healed and pain free you can evaluate your other knee. Just take it one day at a time - do what you can to distract yourself and feel relaxed and less anxious. You’ll get there it’s just more of a bumpy road to recovery than usual. Feel better soon.
 
Hi, Carol Anna.... just checking in on you. I’m sorry to hear you battle the migraines... I’ve never experienced that, but have friends who do, they sound tough. Just keeping you in my thoughts & prayers that you will continue to heal from both. That’s great you can sleep on your side some.... isn’t that wonderful? I’m a side sleeper, & found sleeping on my back not much fun☹️. It’s still hard for me to sleep on my TKR side, but that will come, in time. Isn’t it funny, the little “ victories “ we celebrate? Do take care, & enjoy your walks next week.
 
Hi, Carol Anna.... just checking in on you. I’m sorry to hear you battle the migraines... I’ve never experienced that, but have friends who do, they sound tough. Just keeping you in my thoughts & prayers that you will continue to heal from both. That’s great you can sleep on your side some.... isn’t that wonderful? I’m a side sleeper, & found sleeping on my back not much fun☹. It’s still hard for me to sleep on my TKR side, but that will come, in time. Isn’t it funny, the little “ victories “ we celebrate? Do take care, & enjoy your walks next week.
The chronic migraine I suffer with in not like episodic migraine and I am thankful that it isnt as I beleive migraine attacks as such are awful. What I have been left with is what my neugologist described as an undeserved hangover that is there most days for part of each day and sometimes more than once a day when I have to stop and just rest my head and body. Any headaches I do get are usually when trying to sleep and my head hurts when it is on the pillow this happens every few weeks but I have to say since my knee op I havn't had one of these episodes. This recent set back of a PE has taken the focus away from everything else but it is hard to establish if I have continued problems with PE or if it is my ongoing illness. My knee just now is feeling great - still a bit stiff but walking is looking normal once I get it going. I am now up to 5 minutes on static bike and tomorrow the seat will be lowered again when it will be where it was pre op. Hoping to add some tension the week after but I have stopped making too many plans since my recent set back, I am taking each day as it comes. Please do keep me in your prayers they are much appreciated.
 
You are more than entitled to be feeling sorry for yourself! What a lot you have been through both physically and mentally. Sounds like you might still be dealing with your original burn out as still suffering from migraines. I truly sympathize as have suffered in the past and know how debilitating they can be. I hope you have a prescription medication that the doctor has said is safe to use with your embolisms. I too would feel anxious about the PE who wouldn’t be? It’s early days and you will heal. Your knee is progressing in the right direction and once you are healed and pain free you can evaluate your other knee. Just take it one day at a time - do what you can to distract yourself and feel relaxed and less anxious. You’ll get there it’s just more of a bumpy road to recovery than usual. Feel better soon.
Thank you for your kind words. I am currently taking nothing for my chronic migraine as I am struggling with side effects of the last two medications they have given and now I have had this PE I intend to sit my doctor down and make her spend time talking to me properly about what we can do. I am going to church this morning but probably won't be singing too much as I still get out of breath. I didn't realise the the clots from the PE don't disolve with medication and that I just have to wait for my body to do its stuff and absorb them - wish it would hurry up - but thats me - no patience :heehee: I can't believe how much my knee has improved in the last week when I have been focusing on other things. Right knee will be reviewed as and when it becomes necessary. For now I am taking your advice and taking it one day at a time and hubby is stopping me from racing ahead. I am going to go out tomorrow weather permitting to the sea front where one of my favourite shops is and I know it only re-opened yesterday after a stock take and restocking and I am going to treat myselt to a new outfit - I think that is a good distraction:dancy:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom