PKR Taking it steady

If I recall getting up from a night's sleep and getting up from a long sit were the last things to recover.
Yep, I'm still having some stiffness associated with this.... just passed my 6 month milestone.
 
I haven’t been too good on my specific exercises for my knee, but, we’re doing pretty well on just walking.
Walking is a WONDER-full exercise. You will find recovery progress that goes beyond the specific leg strengthening, though those exercises have value in their place and time.
Thanks @hawk2go I need to stop worrying about not doing enough and then pushing to do things to help which in reality don't really help. I need to remember that I am also recovering froma PE and that I need increase my walking to strengthen my lungs as well as my legs. Wish it would stop raining so I could have a good walk on the sea front but spring is just round the corner and we hope for a nice sunny spring and summer.
@Catalien45 sometimes I sit and think about getting up and think and think and then I have a chuckle as I heave myself up and stagger to a balance and then sometimes I just get up no problem. Its fair to say that the problem in getting up is more often than not towards the end of the day. Oh well I guess we can look forward to improving in this activity :heehee:
 
Just discovered that the additional pain in both my knees, my elbows and my neck and hands might be to do with being taken off HRT after the Pulmonary Embolism and the drop in Oestrogen can have this effect. I am waiting to see a specialist and my GP and I will run it passed them its difficult enough dealing with a recovery from a knee op without the aggravation of more pain as a result of something else.
 
Oh, dear! I’m seeing this early Saturday morning. Good luck with seeing your specialists for this... hoping that they are able to come up with a good solution. Also, that your weather improves some, & you can get out for those walks. That might help some. We’ve been walking regularly, but are about to get snow today & tomorrow, then a fairly serious cold spell this coming week, so, our walks may be curtailed some. Hopefully the “ just around the corner” spring weather & more sunshine will help us all. I sometimes wonder if the cold & humidity don’t make our bodies a little grouchy & achey , especially if we are in the healing process, especially for you, since you are recovering from not just the one, but two, assaults on your body.... do take care, and I’ll be thinking about you & keeping you in prayers for a good solution.
 
Thanks @Catalien45 - it was cold here yesterday but the rain held off and as we had someone visiting we walked a little and then got on a bus to the harbour and then returned by bus with a walk at the end. It was great to get my knees moving. Only church today and then a bit of a rest. Yes we are all looking forward to spring weather and more sunshine and I think you are right about the cold and the damps effect on our joints. I do have to say thought that I also have achey knees when it get too warm - we just can't win!!! Oh well a fortnight of doctors and specialists might give me more insight into what to do next! Have a lovely day regardless of the weather. x
 
Howdy!

I love your photo. It looks like a great support team right by your side. I’ve been reading your thread and wanted to wish you luck at your appointment Monday. You sound like someone whose pushing to hard. Are you still icing? The first year or so that helped me a lot and even now at 18 months I still rest, ice and elevate at times when my knee says enough. Personally I think walking was my best exercise when I could. While your knee is acting up you may want to use a walking stick. They make some real dazzling ones!’

Let us know how your doctors visit goes Monday. But remember this surgery takes time to heal.

Good luck,
Mamie
 
Howdy!

I love your photo. It looks like a great support team right by your side. I’ve been reading your thread and wanted to wish you luck at your appointment Monday. You sound like someone whose pushing to hard. Are you still icing? The first year or so that helped me a lot and even now at 18 months I still rest, ice and elevate at times when my knee says enough. Personally I think walking was my best exercise when I could. While your knee is acting up you may want to use a walking stick. They make some real dazzling ones!’

Let us know how your doctors visit goes Monday. But remember this surgery takes time to heal.

Good luck,
Mamie
Thank you @Mamie. Went for a walk this morning and then home to prepare lunch. Both my knees are feeling it and I was sat with raised legs feeling sorry for myself thinking 'when will this be over' when I read your post. Thank you for reminding me that I need to remember I am still early in recovery. I havn't iced for about 2 months as my knee does not swell much unless I really do too much and it is not hot anymore. I do use a hiking stick whenever I go out. My none op knee is giving me more problems that the PKR !!! Its something when even those of you who just see my posts on bonesmart mention that I might push too hard - you are off course right but I don't always realise it myself until reminded. xx
 
I found ice helpful for several months even after there was no visible swelling @Carol Anna, particularly if I had a day where I knew I had been more active, I iced before bed and it really seemed to help.
 
I found ice helpful for several months even after there was no visible swelling @Carol Anna, particularly if I had a day where I knew I had been more active, I iced before bed and it really seemed to help.
OK - I will give this a go. Maybe I should ice my none op knee as that does swell just now if I do too much. I guess we see certain landmarks as proof that we are getting better and are then loath to restart them. Things like coming off pain relief or indeed not needing to ice when in reality we know this is a rollercoaster ride with its ups and downs. Thanks for your advice:) :-) (:
 
I guess we see certain landmarks as proof that we are getting better and are then loath to restart them.
I'm right with you on the landmarks and have been reluctant to restart using NSAIDs after my near fall a couple weeks ago. Since I restarted with naproxen a whole week later, I have been feeling so much better. When I move, I brace for the pain that doesn't come. (note to self) I wish I had resumed sooner.
 
Okay lets celebrate a very small success. Tuesday I managed to get up off toilet with just hands on knees, you all know what I mean, no walls, no handrail, normal. Only managed it that once but I now know I can do it!!! :dancy: :dancy: :rotfl: No more panic when I go out and forget to go into the disabled and have to rely on how well the toilet roll holder is fixed to the wall!!!
 
Last edited:
You made me laugh, @Carol Anna because I often relay on questionable toilet roll holders too! And yes, that is a success! My latest success is driving again. And it’s so nice to now be able to plan lunches out with my friends!
 
@Carol Anna I had to laugh at what you call a small success!! That is huge!! I remember my first three days post op when I was trying to figure out how to get up off the potty. I have a high toilet but no bars and it was quite the dilemma.

Personally I think ALL public toilets should be high with bars. I have been in some stalls that my somewhat large body could hardly fit in especially when I hung my bag in the door hook.

Congrats!
 
@Carol Anna That's a big achievement, not a little one! But isn't if funny the absolute joy that comes with being able to do things like this. I remember how happy I was when I told my husband it was time to get rid of the riser seat on the toilet.

You're doing great! :yay:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jcx
You made me laugh, @Carol Anna because I often relay on questionable toilet roll holders too! And yes, that is a success! My latest success is driving again. And it’s so nice to now be able to plan lunches out with my friends!
Oh yes forgot to say that I drove for the first time this week also!!! I don't often drive as now I am not working hubby tends to drive but it is good to get behind a wheel again and I need to do this in case hubby can't drive. I havn't driven since last July since I had trouble with both knees but as hubby says I drive everytime I go out with him so I won't have forgotten when to change gear at the right time :heehee: Hubby's approach to gear changing is, in my opinion, questionable :loll:
 
@Carol Anna I had to laugh at what you call a small success!! That is huge!! I remember my first three days post op when I was trying to figure out how to get up off the potty. I have a high toilet but no bars and it was quite the dilemma.

Personally I think ALL public toilets should be high with bars. I have been in some stalls that my somewhat large body could hardly fit in especially when I hung my bag in the door hook.

Congrats!
I called it small because I have only managed to do this the once but I did it again, with not so much ease, yesterday - any more of this and I will have to open the champagne!!!
 
@Carol Anna That's a big achievement, not a little one! But isn't if funny the absolute joy that comes with being able to do things like this. I remember how happy I was when I told my husband it was time to get rid of the riser seat on the toilet.

You're doing great! :yay:
Yes the joy is so funny - fortunately hubby has same sense of humour as I do and we both cheer these achievements and then laugh. at our enthusiasm about things like getting off the toilet. Thanks for your encouragement.
 
Small achievements make this journey all worthwhile, although I'm now driving and able to walk ( hobble) without crutches I'm still not able to lift myself off anything low, be it the toilet, sofa or chair without using my arms, table, wall etc for support :heehee: I know from past experience this will take a while.
Enjoy the successes xx
 
@FourCats, @Carol Anna, CamGram, Benne68, Hawk2Go
I did not know to laugh with you or cry!
This is a huge deal. Nothing gets more real than that accomplishment. Public bathrooms rarely have many accessible stalls, and it irks me to see someone with no apparent problems using them for changing clothes! I remember when my PT said that she wanted me to stop at any department store on my way home and walk around to get accustomed to getting back into my routine.

Unfortunately, I had to go potty...the accessible stall was in use with another young gal who was changing her shoes and making quite the racket but not nearly as bad as myself. I was forced to use the regular stall with no handrails. I could not get up. The stall had what looked like a soda spilled on the floor, no handrails, no dispenser high enough to grab, and I slipped getting up on the wet floor and landed back on the potty! I cried so hard women were pounding at the door, asking to help me. I was pleading with my husband as I sobbed on my cell phone that I needed him to come to help me. I'm not sure if it was my pathetic call to my husband, and they worried he would come into the women's bathroom or not, but it was humiliating that I had to get help from strangers to get up.

So, the next time you think that was no big deal, imagine yourself sitting as I was to get help.

The good side of my story was that the employee who had used the only accessible stall said she was sorry. She was a new assistant manager and used her pull to put rails in many stalls.

Now, until my knee is stronger, I stake out the public bathroom to make sure rails are available in more than one stall! Be proud of yourself for each new accomplishment you achieve, as the road to complete recovery is a long one. Another bid accomplishment is taking a shower without any aids or seating.

Mamie!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom