PKR Taking it steady

I just have to share this little bubble of joy with my Bonesmart friends as only you will understand how happy the little successes that we have make us. After my shower I checked on my spitting stitch and it was still there as I stroked very gently along my scar. I stopped to speak to hubby and when I went back to the scar the spitting stitch had dissappeared. It must have just fallen out! I can't stop chuckling as I cannot deny that I was getting slightly worried when it was still there day after day and thought it might involve trying to get an appointment with a nurse to remove it. I know its only something very tiny but we need these successes however small.
 
Good news on the disappearing stitch.

I forgot to mention that I use an adjustable foot stool under my work desk and it absolutely helps with changing position and stiffness.
 
The platform under the dining table works perfectly. Havn't sat at desk since the op as have not needed to yet. The chair I have been sitting in mid morning does not work with a platform so I am going to try the other living room chair as it is a little higher and use the lower chair when I am elevating moving onto the sofa to elevate more mid afternoon. Sore heels/ankles prevented sleep last night still not sure what to do about that. I tried sleeping on my side but only managed that position for a few minutes but that's more than I could at the beginning. I quie like sleeping on my back now if it was not for the sore ankles and the covers on leg. Oh well it will all work itself out. Looks a little brighter today I wonder if I might get out for a little walk.
 
@Carol Anna - that's good news about the stitches, small accomplishment lead to bigger ones x
@Eire1 suggested to me to use a long pillow and put my leg on it just so my heel was not touching the bed, I too complained of the exactly same issue, last night I tried this & so much better, I also tried half way through the night side sleeping with pillow on top of non operated leg it was fine for a couple of hours, but the stiffness & pain then took over.
I also put my lightweight Summer duvet on the bed, as my lovely n warm winter one was just too heavy, plus I have a whole load of throws, my leg appreciated it, as turning was easier, maybe try this, I was a tad cold early morning so have just put another lightweight summer duvet on the end.
I recall on my last surgery I did ended up doing this too.
It will get better xxx
 
I had issues with sore heels while attempting to sleep after BTHR.
My step-sister who is a Kiwi (NZ) gave me a "sheepy" , a swath of sheepskin that I folded over flattish and placed under my lower leg, ankles and feet.
Cut down on the friction and helped tremendously.
I would think any sherpa-type material would work too.
 
@Carol Anna - that's good news about the stitches, small accomplishment lead to bigger ones x
@Eire1 suggested to me to use a long pillow and put my leg on it just so my heel was not touching the bed, I too complained of the exactly same issue, last night I tried this & so much better, I also tried half way through the night side sleeping with pillow on top of non operated leg it was fine for a couple of hours, but the stiffness & pain then took over.
I also put my lightweight Summer duvet on the bed, as my lovely n warm winter one was just too heavy, plus I have a whole load of throws, my leg appreciated it, as turning was easier, maybe try this, I was a tad cold early morning so have just put another lightweight summer duvet on the end.
I recall on my last surgery I did ended up doing this too.
It will get better xxx
Its my ankles just above my heel, I have tried to balance leg off the edge of a pillow but the weight pulls down on my knee after a few minutes. I also tried sleeping on my side but not yet ready. My quilt is silk filled and quite light. It is cool in the summer and warm in the winter - you can add another for winter and they button together but we have never felt the need. I have a hospital blanket that I sometimes pull up over my legs with the quilt over my top half sometimes I think the thinnest and lightest of materials would still irritate but I am sure it will get better. xxx
 
I had issues with sore heels while attempting to sleep after BTHR.
My step-sister who is a Kiwi (NZ) gave me a "sheepy" , a swath of sheepskin that I folded over flattish and placed under my lower leg, ankles and feet.
Cut down on the friction and helped tremendously.
I would think any sherpa-type material would work too.
We just gave away a sheepskin rug to the charity shop as it kept attracting bits from the carpet. I usually keep things in case they come in but since the move we are trying to not accumulate a lot of 'stuff'. If only I had kept it. Silly question but did you fold it with the skin or the wool side on the outside.
 
I too have a sheepskin throw on top of my sheet at the foot of my bed, soft furry side up, this helps my foot enormously.
 
Another minor success - 10 turns on the static bike - they are slow but they do loosen off the stiffness in my knee in the morning - hope to progress to a lower seat and more revolutions in time but for now I am taking it steady :) Over did it yesterday waliking round town so its rest for me today with only a little walk by the sea, as the sun which has been noticeable by its absence has just come out. What's betting by the time I have showered and dressed it will have gone in again:rotfl:
 
I’m so glad your suture found it’s way out on its own! I did have a number of them, so the dr advised me to come in, and, it was a painless procedure. Sounds like your little guy was a bit more independent! Could your soreness be from bruising? That’s where I remembered the pain most from my initial TKR. interestingly enough, not a problem with my cleanout surgery.
It sounds like you have a very understanding Dr And PT. That’s Great! You are very fortunate in that area. Both mine have been great, & not aggressive.
My husband & I are also doing some cooking together, & it’s fun! Our kitchen is not very big, but that’s OK. And he Definitely is not interested in taking my job. But he is enjoying doing some of the cooking... and, For sure, he does the Best old fashioned oatmeal! . Here’s to our new knees this year! Each little milestone brings us a bit closer.
 
y husband & I are also doing some cooking together, & it’s fun! Our kitchen is not very big, but that’s OK. And he Definitely is not interested in taking my job. But he is enjoying doing some of the cooking... and, For sure, he does the Best old fashioned oatmeal! . Here’s to our new knees this year! Each little milestone brings us a bit closer.
My hubby is also enjoying doing some of the cooking but is definately not interested in taking the job. We have agreed that he will cook more but let's see how that pans out. I am a bit of a control freak in the kitchen ......well actually I am probably a bit of a control freak in everything that's why I struggle to accept that my knee has a mind of its own :heehee: Hear Hear to a New Year of improved knees xx
 
Whoopee!!! I booked myself onto a yoga relaxation course and then realised that I would need to get down on the floor and more important back up again. Thought about it for 3 days and then this morning bit the bullet. Chose the landing at top of stairs for my attempt so that if necessary I could shuffle along to the stairs and use those to get back up. But amazingly I got down on the floor no problem without using my op leg for anything other than balance using the principle of the 'down dog' position from yoga and then looked at hubby and said I should simply be able to just reverse what I just did - hmmm thought about it and said "don't think I can" but then I just did it. I am so happy it means I can go to this yoga relaxation which I have never done before and I can also get down on the floor to rectify hubby's attempt to reseal shower screen - its new but there a a couple of places where water is creeping out and I need sit sit on floor to do this properly - hubby is no handyman but he is amazing at looking after me and keeping me smiling, so one can't have everything.
 
Hi @Carol Anna Yes! The downward dog post is exactly the way I got up and down for weeks to do my yoga practice! It looks a bit funny, but it really works. Good for the hamstrings, too. :wink:
 
I'm trying the downward dog tomorrow. After I had the left knee done, getting up off the floor has been a real challenge. @Carol Anna and @benne68 inspire me to try.
I hope it works for you - if its any cosolation I do not do yoga yet - tried it during lockdown but not very good at self motivation so decided to book a course after lockdown but left knee which had never caused me a problem was so painful I didn't bother. I saw a video of how to get up without kneeling and with a bad knee and it stuck in my mind and I knew from my dabble in yoga that it used a yoga position that was called the downward dog. You might as I did look at the floor and think 'I can't do this' and the same when you start to get up but you can - let me know if it works for you.
 
Hi @Carol Anna Yes! The downward dog post is exactly the way I got up and down for weeks to do my yoga practice! It looks a bit funny, but it really works. Good for the hamstrings, too. :wink:
I think I might have used a less refined version of this before op - not very pretty but hey it works!! Also great news that it is good for hamstrings as well!!!x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom