PKR Taking it steady

Struggled to get to sleep last night due to scar being tender - any suggestions as I still have to sleep on my back so duvet irritates it? Also I have a prickly sensation on my lower leg like the hair folicles are sore if touched - anyone know what this is and if there is anything I can do to help as this is also compounding the inability to get to sleep as it doesn't like duvet on it.
My scar was somewhat sensitive but not to the extent you describe. Of course, I had my surgery in the summer so lived in shorts. I know my PTs talked about massaging the scar & leg--maybe to help decrease sensitivity? There are members who swear by wrapping the scar in plastic wrap overnight but I never needed to try that.
 
There are days when I wish I had waited till spring for the op for a number of reasons. It would not be freezing cold sleeping with legs out of covers, It would not be as dangerous underfoot outside, I could sit in the garden and I would feel more inclined to walk out in the sunshine. I thought I would do it in October so I would be fully recovered by Christmas :rotfl: and ready to walk out as usual in the new year. Oh well it is what it is and I am sure I will get over it.
 
:console2:

I agree, I think warmer weather has advantages. I did mine mid March, and going to PT in those early weeks was cold and windy, and I did wear shorts.

However, if the weather is too warm, those compression stockings some of have to wear would get really hot!

I’m not sure which is worse. I guess which ever one we‘re experiencing at the time!
 
:console2:

I agree, I think warmer weather has advantages. I did mine mid March, and going to PT in those early weeks was cold and windy, and I did wear shorts.

However, if the weather is too warm, those compression stockings some of have to wear would get really hot!

I’m not sure which is worse. I guess which ever one we‘re experiencing at the time!
Oh yeh I never thought of compression socks in hot weather - noooooo

Sun came out today - Been for a walk, using 2 crutches to make sure I am safe for balance. Jack drove me to the sea front and we walked about 50 yards along the prom to my favourite shop to say hello to our friends who own the shop, bumped into some more friends and had a coffee and then walked the 50 yards back to the car. It was so lovely to breath in the sea air and watch the sea rolling in. Leg a bit swollen and bones hurt a bit but it was worth it! Its amazing how getting out other than to hospital can lift ones spirits.
 
There are days when I wish I had waited till spring for the op for a number of reasons. It would not be freezing cold sleeping with legs out of covers,
Of course I was bundled under a fleece blanket while icing--in the height of the summer. :heehee:
 
There are days when I wish I had waited till spring for the op for a number of reasons. It would not be freezing cold sleeping with legs out of covers,
Of course I was bundled under a fleece blanket while icing--in the height of the summer. :heehee:
Yeh the more I think about it the more I realise that having it done in the spring/summer would have come with its own problems. :) :-) (:
 
Went to 2nd PT appointment yesterday at week 9 post op. I went prepared for what I needed to discuss and allow but he was lovely and I did not have to say no to anything. We talked about my knee and about the set back and I told him my surgeon is please and he asked when he needed to see me again so I told him a year after the op which he was very pleased with. He asked me to walk up and down with no aid which I did with ease and he then used the mini skateboard to flex my knee whilst sitting and we achieved a 110 ROM without much effort and only a little discomfort. He did not at any point go on about ROM or extension as I think he was pleased with where I was up to. He said the pains I still experience are normal and said "you are only 2 months from surgery and I think you are doing really well" I told him I had stopped doing leg lifts when I had the set back but my leg just lifted on its own when it was ready and he said that the knee does generally heal and improve on its own with gentle excercise. He said they generally take the approach that everyone is different and improve at differenet times depending on many factors so they don't subscribe to and aggresive approach vis a vie excercise. It was like @patriciad was my PT as he said most of what she has said to me on Bonesmart :) :-) (:

Up until last week I was struggling but last week I felt I had turned the corner. I am off almost off pain killers but do still take particularly at bedtime but I sometimes forget and manage without. Some things still hurt, Walking is not bad in fact feels quite good, sitting is sometimes extremely uncomfortable, I still can't sleep on my side due to sensitive wound and sore shins, I try not to do too much but as others will testify we don't always know what is too much. PT said sore shins is the nerve ending healing., he also said that I do walk with a slight stiff leg but that will improve and that I need to keep up with excercising as well as normal daily activities to strengthen it but he did say only do what I can through a little discomfort and not to push through pain. My final concern was that 4 days ago a little spike like a splinter appeared in my wound which my PT says is most likely a suture trying to get out. I had thought it might be this from posts I had read on bonesmart so was ready for what it might be. As it is currently not causing a problem he said to leave it alone and see if it works itself out but to contact my GP if it becomes sore or imflamed. He did say that a little bump filled with puss might appear over it but he did not say what I should do it this happens so does anyone know what to do? I can't believe where I am compared to two weeks ago and can only thank Bonesmart for all the excellent advice and support. I know I am not out of the woods and tomorrow I could have a bad day but I am taking the good days with grace for now. Hubby is still bringing me breakfast in bed and doing most of the cooking and he is going out this morning for last minute shopping for veg for Christmas day, he says he is more than happy to continue doing the lions share while I concentrate on getting better. He is also back on excercise duty to help me loosen that knee using the skate board.

Apologies for humongous post but just wanted to update everyone and say there is light at the end of the tunnel and I know from this site and my PT that it might take me 3 to 6 mnths to see the best improvement and even up to a year for more recovery. I also know that my Bonesmart friends as here for me if I have any concerns.

God Bless and I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas xxx
 
He did say that a little bump filled with puss might appear over it but he did not say what I should do it this happens so does anyone know what to do?
Bad timing I know but I would try and get an appointment with a nurse at your GP practice. Or if there is a minor injuries unit near you they could take a look.

Well done on the great progress @Carol Anna ! I'm glad we could support you through this journey.
 
He did say that a little bump filled with puss might appear over it but he did not say what I should do it this happens so does anyone know what to do?
Bad timing I know but I would try and get an appointment with a nurse at your GP practice. Or if there is a minor injuries unit near you they could take a look.

Well done on the great progress @Carol Anna ! I'm glad we could support you through this journey.
Well lets hope it comes out on its own but if it starts to cause problems I will push for an appointment with a nurse at GP surgery. Thanks for the advice.
 
Excellent progress @Carol Anna. Turning that corner is a time for celebration. How did you treat yourself?
 
Applauding you here! Well done you are doing great the Bonesmart way. No doubt there will be more challenges ahead but you’ll take them in your stride ( pun intended). Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead.
 
Excellent progress @Carol Anna. Turning that corner is a time for celebration. How did you treat yourself?
Thank you @hawk2go - I treated myself with a couple of glasses of good wine and continue to do so most days :heehee:now that I am largely off pain killers :dancy: . I have missed my wine but as well as the pain killers not being good with wine I also found it tasted odd. Taste buds back to normal and onward and upward!
 
Applauding you here! Well done you are doing great the Bonesmart way. No doubt there will be more challenges ahead but you’ll take them in your stride ( pun intended). Wishing you a wonderful New Year ahead.
And a wonderful New Year to you also. Thank you so much for your support and advice.
 
I don't know if anyone else is the same but I find my most uncomfortable position is sitting which makes it very difficult to sit to the table for dinner. I get pain in the bones on both sides of knee below the knee cap but mostly on the inside which is the side of my PKR. Walking is comfortable but its too tiring to be doing that all the time! Sitting with leg up is best but sitting with legs up is making the back of my ankles sore as I also sleep on my back which puts the back of my ankles in same position - they don't necessarily look sore they just feel sore (maybe its just in my head :chinstroke:)
 
@Carol Anna I went through the exact same thing when sitting at the table, took me well over a month before it eased enough to be comfortable- I changed my chair to a lower padded office chair on wheels, it makes it easier to push into the table and to turn slightly when rising from the table. When you sit at the table you are compressing soft tissues and nerves at the back of the knee and they let you know all about it for the first couple of months. It does get easier!
 
Hi @ Carol Anna ( what a beautiful name!). It sounds like you are coming along well. And your PT sounds great! We’re fortunate in that respect also. Both of us have worked with my main therapist, she’s great. Last session, we tried me going downstairs “ normally”,& it Hurt. She asked me....” like a stretching pain, or sharp?” I replied” & , “sharp”, so she just said, “ OK, you aren’t ready for that yet”.
As for timing on the TKR, just think! By spring & summer, we should be well on the road to recovery! I’m looking forward to our garden, Farmers Market, and having our grandson over more, some overnights. Spring & summer have a new excitement for me. With a new knee!
It Is hard to get comfortable sometimes, but getting better. Do you have a lot of bruising? That was my most painful, & if you think about it, bruises mean bleeding inside, which really irritates the tissue. Maybe your Dr can advise you something to put on that.
I recently had some sutures poking out from my cleanout surgery. My ID dr said, “ DON’T mess with them, or try to pull them out!” And suggested I check with my surgeon & have them have a look. They gave me an appointment with one of his PA’s ( they are all great); she looked, & had a little kit with gauze, little tweezers, etc, & pulled them out carefully ( no pain) & said if I saw anymore of them, just call & they would set me up to have them removed. One had a knot ( internally). She knew what she was doing, i wouldn’t have, and it was a totally sterile procedure. Evidently, it’s fairly common. Good luck on yours.
Take care, & continue healing. It sounds like you have a very supportive husband. Mine has become Expert at oatmeal ( old fashioned) & a mixed grain hot cereal we both love. I tease him he might take over my job of cooking, but he’s not really interested in that job title. :-)
 
By spring & summer, we should be well on the road to recovery! I’m looking forward to our garden, Farmers Market, and having our grandson over more, some overnights. Spring & summer have a new excitement for me. With a new knee!
I'm with you @Catalien45
I find my most uncomfortable position is sitting
Sitting is uncomfortable but because I have to sit for work and started at 5 weeks, I've gotten used to it. I have to get up to walk every hour or so and I also use my under desk pedaler to stretch periodically. I think the key is to change position often.
 
Hi @ Carol Anna ( what a beautiful name!). It sounds like you are coming along well. And your PT sounds great! We’re fortunate in that respect also. Both of us have worked with my main therapist, she’s great. Last session, we tried me going downstairs “ normally”,& it Hurt. She asked me....” like a stretching pain, or sharp?” I replied” & , “sharp”, so she just said, “ OK, you aren’t ready for that yet”.
As for timing on the TKR, just think! By spring & summer, we should be well on the road to recovery! I’m looking forward to our garden, Farmers Market, and having our grandson over more, some overnights. Spring & summer have a new excitement for me. With a new knee!
It Is hard to get comfortable sometimes, but getting better. Do you have a lot of bruising? That was my most painful, & if you think about it, bruises mean bleeding inside, which really irritates the tissue. Maybe your Dr can advise you something to put on that.
I recently had some sutures poking out from my cleanout surgery. My ID dr said, “ DON’T mess with them, or try to pull them out!” And suggested I check with my surgeon & have them have a look. They gave me an appointment with one of his PA’s ( they are all great); she looked, & had a little kit with gauze, little tweezers, etc, & pulled them out carefully ( no pain) & said if I saw anymore of them, just call & they would set me up to have them removed. One had a knot ( internally). She knew what she was doing, i wouldn’t have, and it was a totally sterile procedure. Evidently, it’s fairly common. Good luck on yours.
Take care, & continue healing. It sounds like you have a very supportive husband. Mine has become Expert at oatmeal ( old fashioned) & a mixed grain hot cereal we both love. I tease him he might take over my job of cooking, but he’s not really interested in that job title. :)
My first name is Carol and my middle name Ann most people call me Carol but my late father used to call me Carol Anna in a lovely Polish/Yorkishire accent. When I set up my name on this site I was thinking of my dad and when you all call me Carol Anna it reminds me of beautiful times with my dad.

I am looking forward to the spring and summer when I can stroll on the sea front.

I have just discovered that if I put my computer stand which is about 8 inches high under the table and put the foot of my new knee on that I am comfortable - strange but it works - I thought about this when I noticed that when I sat in church I could put my foot on the ledge that holds the kneeler at the back of the pew in front and it was comfortable.

Thank you for your advice about the sutures - mine is there but not causing a problem its just a little spike of suture - I now call my new knee 'Spike' :heehee: I had thought about taking tweezers and giving it a little tug myself but I never thought it might have a knot at the other end. I will leave well alone and wait to see what happens.

Hubby really is great - we just shared our kitchen cooking a minced beef plate pie by me and lasagne by hubby. Its great that we now have a kitchen we can both work in together.

Thank you for your lovely helpful email.
 
@Carol Anna - I agree with you that sitting feet down is the most uncomfortable position after a knee replacement and I experienced this with both my surgeries. I found that using a small step or platform under my desk at work plus taking walking breaks really helped with my first knee as I had to go back to my employment after just 5 weeks. Currently I still find sitting the most uncomfortable and am better standing or walking but it’s minimum discomfort at close to 6 months out.
 
@Carol Anna - I agree with you that sitting feet down is the most uncomfortable position after a knee replacement and I experienced this with both my surgeries. I found that using a small step or platform under my desk at work plus taking walking breaks really helped with my first knee as I had to go back to my employment after just 5 weeks. Currently I still find sitting the most uncomfortable and am better standing or walking but it’s minimum discomfort at close to 6 months out.
Its good to know I am not alone. The platform under the table really helps and I no longer have abandone hubby to finish his dinner alone. Here's to my 6 month marker when I am sure I will feel the benefit of the new knee. I can't wait for a bit of sunshine so I can extend my walking bit by bit, the weather here has been awful since my op. Some winters are still sunny but not this year, maybe its not a bad thing as it has made me rest more.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom