PKR Taking it steady

Warmth is a sign that healing is still going on. Red and hot all the time is a warning signal that something is wrong and needs attention. Since yours isn't doing that, I think your knee is showing you that it's still healing. If you think about it, any injury is warm for a while until it heals. All this is God's natural way of healing our bodies!
 
Warmth is a sign that healing is still going on. Red and hot all the time is a warning signal that something is wrong and needs attention. Since yours isn't doing that, I think your knee is showing you that it's still healing. If you think about it, any injury is warm for a while until it heals. All this is God's natural way of healing our bodies!
Thanks @sistersinhim. It only goes from warm to very warm never hot and never all the time. I guess I just worry about anything since the pulmonary embolism. I need to remember that God brought me home from that and is continuing to heal me and by his will my knee will also heal. xx
 
@Carol Anna I had a little chuckle about husbands shopping, mine absolutely detests it, so this recovery has somewhat been a trial for him, funnily I find he often comes home with more than what I put on the list.
Yesterday was funny, I sent him shopping for house cleaning products, he went to the home outlet and within 5 minutes he was on the phone grumbling that he couldn't find anything on the list, so I had to hobble down to our storeroom and take photos of each product and send them. A couple of hours later he comes in with what he thinks is needed, nothing is identical to the photos and probably only 1 or 2 items on the lengthy list :gaah: - I'm sure he did it on purpose knowing I'll never ask him again :groan:
 
Hi again@Carol Anna.....
What a lovely post - I think we are both lucky with our husbands. Hubby and I love your husbands summing up of our shopping - he is so right!!!
Its always good to know that others have the same concerns it kinda makes them less worrying if that makes sense.
Hope you enjoy your meat loaf!
 
This week is the 4 month aniversary of my op and for a change I thought would post positive news :heehee: During the last week my knee improved a lot.

Of course I can still feel pain on some movements but generally it feels so much better. I can now riggle a bit in bed so moving sleeping positions has become easier and walking upstairs is much better as I think my general strength is improving. I can come down as normal but it gives a slight pain in knee so I generally come down with two hand on banister and using a cross movement of legs - don't know if I should be doing this but it works for me - coming down one step at a time was putting too much onto my unoperated knee. I have also reverted on occassion to coming downstairs backwards as this at least helps to strenghthen my muscles.

I have not worked hard at excercise other than a bit on the static bike and I have for other reasons rested a lot. So all the improvment in my knee has happened whilst I have been focusing on other illness rather than my knee. Isn't it funny how something that is a big problem shrinks when you have other more serious or debilitating problems. But I won't dwell on other problems and will keep this knee post positive and celebrate the big improvement I have had this week.

Can't wait for the weather to change so I can start to go out for a walk by the sea - the wind over the last few days that has been horrendous is set to continue for a few days more but hopefully we will see a change by the end of the week and this does give me more time to rest the knee and I now know that this is the best therapy for my knee.

I wish healing and recovery for all my bonesmart friends. :)
 
Last edited:
@Carol Anna ,That’s great news! One of the exercises that my PT gave me on my last few sessions was to walk backwards, for strengthening, and I believe balance, which is still my challenge. I’m impressed that you are going backwards downstairs! . Btw, I still, especially, first thing of a morning, hold onto both rails going down, or if I’m especially tired. We are walking regularly now, but agreed that we might have been overdoing it a bit, so are now walking 1/2 hour instead of a full hour
. You talked about the winds.... thinking they might be the same weather system that is going on in Germany. Our son & his girlfriend got in on Saturday, & they were experiencing severe winds there. They flew out of Frankfort, so he rode a train into there from Leipzig, where he lives & stayed there overnight, since he had some work he could do from there. His girlfriend lives in Berlin, so she rented a car & drove to Frankfort, as some of the public transportation was being cancelled due to the winds. She said the drive was pretty harrowing, especially when there was a big truck nearby. David said they get these crazy winds every couple of years or so. We are getting snow & wind right now. Winter is back! So, we won’t be walking for a bit now. I’m just so happy to hear how well you are doing! You have been through a lot, to be sure. And it sounds like you are taking a very “ common sense”approach to your healing process, which is a good reminder for me, as I so easily find myself overdoing! Thankyou for that.

It is now Tuesday morning... we are planning to meet our kids at the Lucilles Creole restaurant near our daughter’s for breakfast later this morning, & are monitoring traffic conditions. It did snow, but not a lot, but it 0 right now. So far all looks good for our 1 hour drive there. We’ll bring son & his girlfriend back here for a few days, we always “ share” the time with our daughter & her family when they’re here... and, our grandson is off school for teachers planning day, so it will be a fun, delicious breakfast! Take good care of yourself, & keep setting that good example for those of us who often need it. Have a lovely day....
 
oh well I guess I should have known it wouldn't last. Yet again I need the advice of my bonesmart buddies. I over did it on Thursday and compounded it on Friday doing things that had to be done. I rested Friday pm and yesterday. It wasn't too bad just difficult and uncomfortable getting up and walking particularly up stairs. Then at 5.30 this morning I lifted myself up to look over sleeping hubby to look at the time on his clock. I must have twisted my knee as I felt a sharp pain. It then hurt until I moved it in a certain way and something clicked back into place. The problem I have is that I don't know what I did to either cause it or to put it right as I was half asleep. What on earth happened and will it now happen again and what can I do to stop it from happening. Its made me very nervous about moving it and I was just enjoying being able to riggle round more in bed. Its not visibly swollen and no pain now just a bit of an ache which I think is from the overdoing it the other day as both knees hurt
 
TKR knees can be very sensitive to little "tweaks" from things as simply as you described. I was a little careful how I moved for a few months because I would get twinges sometimes if I moved funny. They went away as things continued to heal. I wouldn't worry if it doesn't happen a lot and if it doesn't swell or continue to have pain the next day. :console2:
 
Sometimes things like this happen for no explainable reason except a different movement. Some mornings I would wake up with a new pain when the day before I was fine. I assumed that I had done something in my sleep that my knee didn't like. If it doesn't happen frequently to you, I think you're OK.
 
It was having to click something back in to stop the pain that worries me but I had a good night last night and intend to go for a short walk today. I must get that knees strength built back up but will take it steady.
 
Hi @Carol Anna, I still experience a weird sticking feeling in my LTKR (6.5 years old) if I lie on my left side in some specific way. There is some mild pain. I turn my body so that I can flick the leg, then the pain and sticking goes away immediately. I also assume something needs to click back into place. It happens very infrequently and pain does not linger, so I don't worry about it much, just figure it's one of those bionic side effects. Does the pain persist for you?
 
Hi @hawk2go, it happened for the first time on Sunday morning and has not happened since but I am being careful about turning in bed. The sharp pain went as soon as I felt something click back into place and I was just left with a bit of an ache which just joined the general ache I have from normal recovery - still improving. I guess I just need to get used to these things but once again it is a reminder that having the op does not give you a normal knee back. I hope that I can forget about it as constantly thinking about how to move is frustrating. I have gone back to doing leg lifts and some other PT excercises as well as walking in the hope that if I strenghten the muscles it might not happen again. My movement was curtailed after the PE as I get tired very quickly but I need to push a little although not too much to help recovery from that and the knee. I think I tried to convince myself that everything was almost back to mormal when in reality I still have a long way to go.
 
Hi @Carol Anna. I’m glad to hear that your knee is doing better now. It Is scary when you move wrong, or do something that hurts. Isn’t it so very reassuring to hear the experiences of some of these veterans of this “ knee battle”, & know it isn’t anything wrong? ( whew!). I have to be careful of getting On my new knee. I was so excited to see that there is a way of strengthening that aspect, from one of the forum staff, but, cautioned to not start this until 6 months into recovery! I’m still working on my extension & ROM, so , I’ve got a ways to go. That old nemesis, Patience! But, sure enjoying the new freedom from constant pain, and improvement that Is there, and, thankful for this forum, where I regularly get that reassurance, often, just from reading someone else’s post. Btw, I am almost always stiff & having some pain when I wake up, probably from being so still. So I can see that it could be easy to move wrong & cause sudden pain. Glad to hear that you are OK. take care, & be sure to listen to your body when you get tired. ( now, just to remind myself to do that!☺️). Have yourself a lovely day ...ours is bright & sunny...
 
Btw, I am almost always stiff & having some pain when I wake up, probably from being so still.
If I recall getting up from a night's sleep and getting up from a long sit were the last things to recover. I think knee in any single position for too long causes stress. Working out the stiffness from either lying or sitting down takes a lot less as time passes, so eventually it just disappears.
 
Hi @Carol Anna. I’m glad to hear that your knee is doing better now. It Is scary when you move wrong, or do something that hurts. Isn’t it so very reassuring to hear the experiences of some of these veterans of this “ knee battle”, & know it isn’t anything wrong? ( whew!). I have to be careful of getting On my new knee. I was so excited to see that there is a way of strengthening that aspect, from one of the forum staff, but, cautioned to not start this until 6 months into recovery! I’m still working on my extension & ROM, so , I’ve got a ways to go. That old nemesis, Patience! But, sure enjoying the new freedom from constant pain, and improvement that Is there, and, thankful for this forum, where I regularly get that reassurance, often, just from reading someone else’s post. Btw, I am almost always stiff & having some pain when I wake up, probably from being so still. So I can see that it could be easy to move wrong & cause sudden pain. Glad to hear that you are OK. take care, & be sure to listen to your body when you get tired. ( now, just to remind myself to do that!☺️). Have yourself a lovely day ...ours is bright & sunny...
Thank you for your lovely supportive email. I didn't think about waitin for about 6 months before doing too many strengthening excercises and now I have read your post it will keep me in line not trying to go too far too soon. I guess that after my weeks of imobility because of the after effects of the PE I just need to start with walking around in the sunshine again.
 
Thanks, @hawk2go ... I figured that was it... and yes, the getting up after sitting for a while.... what a Challenge sometimes! . It’s reassuring that this is normal & one of the last things to recover. ( that, and my still sometimes “ wonky” sense of balance).
@Carol Anna.. boy, I find so often that the experiences of others on this forum really do help me, constantly! Btw, our son & his girlfriend have been here for 2 weeks. Lots of wonderful visiting ( and, eating!). I haven’t been too good on my specific exercises for my knee, but, we’re doing pretty well on just walking. I especially love the sunny days. I try to focus on putting my heel forward, so, for now, my walking will be my main exercise. They return to Germany tomorrow, so, I will get back on track, & do some of my knee exercises daily again. And, try not to overdo on my many projects! . Looks like another sunny beautiful day here. So! A walk. Take care, & continue healing & taking good care of yourself.
 
I haven’t been too good on my specific exercises for my knee, but, we’re doing pretty well on just walking.
Walking is a WONDER-full exercise. You will find recovery progress that goes beyond the specific leg strengthening, though those exercises have value in their place and time.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom