PKR Taking it steady

Thanks to all of you! I had my TKR on Nov 1., and had been doing very well- ROM at 110 and extension almost zero. Now have had 2 setbacks around the one month mark and once again it really hurts to stand up if I’ve been sitting more than 30 minutes. So worried I will lose my flexibility, as I can tell it has gone backwards some. It’s been days and it still hurts like it did at 2-3 weeks!
But I’m hearing this is so common as to be normal almost. It is so comforting to hear others having the same experience and then coming out of it just fine! It doesn’t help that I live alone, so many things I just have to do myself.
 
Are you icing, icing, icing? Take it slow! Baby steps! I’m sorry you have had a couple set backs. This TKR recovery is a roller coaster. I’m getting ready for round 2 December 10th. I will be in your camp shortly :flabber:. Keep your chin up! You can do this!
 
Yesterday not as good as Saturday but not bad till bed time when my knee went black again where the sharp pain sometimes is. Also the scar was sore and I can't stand the bedding on my knee no matter how light it is and it was so cold last night and keeping my legs uncovered was not helpful for sleep but onward and upward - just about to get up and get ready to see OS.
 
Just got back from three and a half hour round trip to OS. After an uncomfortable journey I walked into his office carrying my one crutch. We discussed the sharp pain that started when I leaned my forearms on my knees and he explained that this will have overstreched the muscle that has been most affected by this surgery - not his exact words as he used much more technical terms but I got the gist. Whilst I was sitting he asked me to lift my leg which I did without any problem he then supported my ankle and asked me to gently relax my knee and said well your extension is excellent. He did not say anything about ROM but could clearly see that I was sat with knee at about 90 degrees and I told him that at my first physio it was 120. He said everything was good and I walked in very nicely which was good and he does not need to see me till the aniversary of my op next October unless I have any problems. All in all I got the impression that I just need to give it time and accept that I will on occassion push too far and it will be three steps forward and 2 back some days. He said that the scar tissue can now be massaged with a light moisturiser and reminded me that the work on my knee goes much deeper that the scar which I can see or the joint which I cant. The muscles etc need time to heal. It was almost like my Bonesmart buddies were sat talking to me. Now waiting for my appointment with PT after last Friday's was cancelled and I guess as the OS is happy with his work and my progress it is now up to the PT to deal with anything else. I can't thank Bonesmart enough for helping me to get to this stage, without you I would not have dealt with the OS appointment as well as I did. Resting with leg elevated for the afternoon.
 
I still think Bio Oil is one of the best oils for a scar. It won't make it disappear but it 'll 'soften' the appearance. I speak from experience of two other scars in the past.

I've just had a very gentle half an hour in the gym, 10 mins bike, 10 mins rower' leg extension machine and leg curls and although I haven't used a crutch at home for around three weeks now, I take my two crutches with me when outside after imbalance caused my right hip to ache.
 
Thanks for the suggestion - I will put on shopping list for hubby when he goes up town shopping tomorrow. I might also give the bike a try later this week.
 
Struggled to get to sleep last night due to scar being tender - any suggestions as I still have to sleep on my back so duvet irritates it? Also I have a prickly sensation on my lower leg like the hair folicles are sore if touched - anyone know what this is and if there is anything I can do to help as this is also compounding the inability to get to sleep as it doesn't like duvet on it.
 
There is a post on here-I’m afraid I don’t have the link myself but someone might oblige. They wrapped their knee with some paper towel and then put cling film around it- it seems to reduce the sensation for the knee when sleeping- quite a few people on here have found it works well. I didn’t use the method myself but I slept on top of bed using a soft fleece blanket , knee left uncovered , elevated and the TED compression stockings kept the rest of legs warm. I did find the skin on my legs were itchy after surgery so used a hypoallergenic moisturiser after each shower , avoiding the scar for 4 weeks , before putting the compression stockings back on.
 
I saran wrapped my knee at night and it helped with scar sensitivity and pain. I didn't use the paper towel and can't remember why it was suggested. I just rubbed a bit of skin repair lotion or CBD salve and wrapped the plastic wrap around the knee. By the way, I also use a bath cream for sensitive skin (hypoallergenic).
 
There is a post on here-I’m afraid I don’t have the link myself but someone might oblige. They wrapped their knee with some paper towel and then put cling film around it- it seems to reduce the sensation for the knee when sleeping- quite a few people on here have found it works well. I didn’t use the method myself but I slept on top of bed using a soft fleece blanket , knee left uncovered , elevated and the TED compression stockings kept the rest of legs warm. I did find the skin on my legs were itchy after surgery so used a hypoallergenic moisturiser after each shower , avoiding the scar for 4 weeks , before putting the compression stockings back on.
might try clingfilm. my shin isnt itchy it is kinda over sensitive and prickly if that makes sense
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I recently watched the video. It was lotion on the incision and then wrapped in plastic wrap. No mention of a towel. I do recall thcan be done 3 or so months out.
 
Here’s a link to the cling film/Saran wrap solution. No paper towel - that would negate the effect of the wrap. It worked wonders for my scar sensitivity and for the zinging pain of the nerves healing after both my surgeries. It was a game changer for sleeping.
 
@Carol Anna
Hi yes my scar too has the itchy tingle that makes anything that sits on it feel scratchy in bed! I have always been a pajama girl but can't wear them either have to wear nightees at moment. Which is strange as I wear the pj bottoms up too getting in bed then I have to take them off!
I use a teddy feel dressing gown laid over it now... Tried all sorts including cling film .. this worked but my knee had sweat underneath and this concerned me as it was then sat wet over scar tissue.
So I was then back to the drawing board.
I do think this sensitivity might be a " one solution doesn't fit us all" scenario so all the best with finding yours .. ee it's a funny old game this knee recovery!
 
Well I went to physio yesterday and after pedalling a bike ( I swore I'd never get back on the saddle again after hubby conned me into doing a ten mile bike ride over twenty years ago) both then and today I acquired John Wayne's walk and felt like Forest Gump when he had been " shot in the buttocks sir"
I'm not exercising today having a day off will walk around house and do the odd flamingo stand on one leg but that's it I'm afraid. I am not over doing it. Blimey I was asked to get up from a low couch onto just operated leg... I couldn't have done this in my forties let alone now! No way no how was that one ever going to happen! I am not defeatist and will try my dammed hardest but I know I can't do that exercise!
It's funny how i transferred my weight over to my opposite hip on the stationary bike though I was really aware I was doing it yesterday..as my school reports often said " must try harder"
And I will but as an adult I now am armed with the words- due diligence and caution and I intend to use them during my re- hab period.
Take care everyone on bone smart .
 
I recently watched the video. It was lotion on the incision and then wrapped in plastic wrap. No mention of a towel. I do recall thcan be done 3 or so months out.
Gosh I am only 6 weeks out so maybe I should leave it alone for now.
 
@Carol Anna
Hi yes my scar too has the itchy tingle that makes anything that sits on it feel scratchy in bed! I have always been a pajama girl but can't wear them either have to wear nightees at moment. Which is strange as I wear the pj bottoms up too getting in bed then I have to take them off!
I use a teddy feel dressing gown laid over it now... Tried all sorts including cling film .. this worked but my knee had sweat underneath and this concerned me as it was then sat wet over scar tissue.
So I was then back to the drawing board.
I do think this sensitivity might be a " one solution doesn't fit us all" scenario so all the best with finding yours .. ee it's a funny old game this knee recovery!
I think you are right about one solution does not fit all but appreciate any suggestions. It really is a funny old game. I am just going through a dissapointing phase which usually last a day or two and then it only take a successful day to restore my optimism.
 
Well I went to physio yesterday and after pedalling a bike ( I swore I'd never get back on the saddle again after hubby conned me into doing a ten mile bike ride over twenty years ago) both then and today I acquired John Wayne's walk and felt like Forest Gump when he had been " shot in the buttocks sir"
I'm not exercising today having a day off will walk around house and do the odd flamingo stand on one leg but that's it I'm afraid. I am not over doing it. Blimey I was asked to get up from a low couch onto just operated leg... I couldn't have done this in my forties let alone now! No way no how was that one ever going to happen! I am not defeatist and will try my dammed hardest but I know I can't do that exercise!
It's funny how i transferred my weight over to my opposite hip on the stationary bike though I was really aware I was doing it yesterday..as my school reports often said " must try harder"
And I will but as an adult I now am armed with the words- due diligence and caution and I intend to use them during my re- hab period.
Take care everyone on bone smart .
Just told hubby to set up static bike (its been shoved in a corner since we move in two months ago and it came out of storage). Next week I might sit on it and rock my op leg back and forward a bit - don't think I am anywhere near ready for a full rotation but you never know I might surprise myself!

I am having a lazy morning catching up on emails and will do excercises that don't cause pain next. Then I will see how knee feels today - everyday is different. Let's hope today is a good day for us all!!
 
In the event this would help your itching and sensitivity, I started using Cera Ve Lotion on my incision just after 3 weeks when my PT said I could start gently rubbing the lotion on to my scar/incision. My dermatologist has recommended Cera Ve over the years so that’s what I happen to have on hand, but other lotions would work. I apply it several times a day plus after showering. My incision was glued on top layer and looked dry and flaky.

I also bought the Ancient Minerals magnesium lotion that I apply on my leg, near but not on the incision and on the back of my knee. I read about magnesium lotion on Bonesmart.
 
I recently watched the video. It was lotion on the incision and then wrapped in plastic wrap. No mention of a towel. I do recall thcan be done 3 or so months out.
Gosh I am only 6 weeks out so maybe I should leave it alone for now.


Personally I would wait the 3-4 months as the video indicates, but you could apply some lotion if you aren’t already doing so.
 
I am using E45 lotion. I think I am over thinking everything!! Bad day today - one of those when you worry about every aspect of the op and nothing is right - tomorrow is another day!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom