Guest viewing is limited

PKR Taking it steady

I think I gave myself some knee pain last night because I was overzealous doing step ups to strengthen my quads. Still can’t believe how weak my quad muscles are 3 months out. I still struggle walking up and down my stairs.
I am going on an annual shopping trip this weekend and have warned my friends that I will require rest breaks. It will be fine because we usually split up in the mall to shop. One of the gas has bad knees so she may be resting with me.
Going to take it easy today!
 
I am just OVER this knee. I just want to feel normal and not have pain with each bend of my knee when I walk. It tends to get worse as the day goes by and I am back limping by end of day!
Patience truly is required for this SLOW recovery! And today I don’t have much!
(I know that I am early in recovery, just having an impatient day)
 
Yes I think today is one of my impatient days. Yesterday started off well but by late afternoon went downhill. I don't want to run a marathon I just want to sleep on my side and feel more free in my movements. I have not slept on my back for 5 weeks. I dream that I have my knee bent and I am sleeping on my side and then I am so dissapointed that when I wake it was all a dream :rotfl: I just have to keep reading on this site where I find my support and encouragement. I read something yesterday - can't find it now about lymphatic drainage and it mentioned deep breathing. Deep breathing is something I do to allevite other health problems and I have found that this does help in relaxing through the pain to get to sleep and the article made perfect sense to me. I used to practise aromatherapy many years ago and would like to maybe do some lympthtic massage on my legs and it would be helpful if someone can point me in the direction of what I was reading yesterday that gave instructions - it was on someone elses thread but for the life of me I don't know which one!
 
@Carol Anna My colleague Crickethip posted this on several other threads:

It's a form of lymphatic drainage that can be used post surgically.
****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will an
d it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
 
@Carol Anna I'm here if you have any questions about doing self MLD. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me and others!
 
@Carol Anna I'm here if you have any questions about doing self MLD. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me and others!
Thanks I will give it a try. I used to do some aromatherapy many year ago and like how gentle massage can really give great results and the information just made sense regarding MLD
 
Ok my next concern - I have worried about doing too much and now I am worried about not doing enough. Someone posted that as long as you don't sit around all day and do your daily routine its ok not to excercise. I think their routine is more than mine, clearing yard etc. I know I have had a set back with the sharp pain which stopped me in my tracks for a couple of weeks and the weather has been appalling here, gale force winds and rain and snow which has prevented me from going out but at the start of week 6 should I be doing more. I do get up and walk around every hour or so but not for long 5 minutes or so as it is boring and there is not much space to perambulate around. I do try my excercises in the morning 5 heel slides ( I stop when these hurt) 10 - 15 static quads ( I also do these throughout the day as they relieve tension in my legs), 10 up on my toes, 10 - 15 mini squats, I try to do the hamstring /knee flexion whilst standing but struggle to lift my leg high, I do a couple of straight leg raises which hurt a bit but I can now lift leg by itself onto sofa or bed. My daily activities consist of going to the bathroom, a.m. it is on the same floor but p.m. I move downstairs and negotiate the stairs one at a time on each journey, I do attempt a couple of bad knee up first, I often help with lunch and dinner, hubby is doing a marvelous job but he is a novice cook and does need help sometimes. Today I will help him clear out the glory hole under the stairs, when I say help I will be there and give instructions as to where things need to go. The rest of the time I elevate leg. I feel I should be walking out more but weather prevents this - should I be trying to do more? I do have a static bike, should I try that if I can't walk out? Advice would be much appreciated.
 
Your activity level sounds just fine. Please don't worry about what other members are experiencing. Each and every recovery is different.
 
Your activity level sounds just fine. Please don't worry about what other members are experiencing. Each and every recovery is different.
Thanks for the re-assurance - I just feel so lazy as I feel like I sit around most of the day.
 
I agree, your activity level sounds fine.

I feel I should be walking out more
You body does the same walking movement whether it’s in the house or outside.

Don’t look at resting as sitting around doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal.
 
Thanks Jokette - I made lunch today and then rested and then stood using crutches for proper balance to organise hubby clearing out the understairs cupboard and give a little help if I could. I was feeling good dealing with bearable aches but no pain until a slight movement that must have been off centre brought back the sharp pain in knee that I have spent the last 2 weeks recovering from - I have had to stop, elevate and ice. Seeing PT on Friday and will be asking him if everything is ok as this particular pain is unbearable and it did not take much to aggravate it. I understand about resting but I need to live also and I really don't think I was doing much, I was just up and about as I am a bit fed up of just sitting around and I was enjoying the 'excercise' and being up and felt I could push a bit further - I guess I was wrong. I should have just enjoyed making lunch and then rested rather than do more - when will I learn!
 
We have to try things to see how our knee likes it.
 
My knee is still a bit of a drama Queen at times!
 
Was just getting ready to go out for lunch and then PT appointment and received a phone call to say PT ill so appointment cancelled. So I guess I won't have an answer today about the stabbing pain. However, they have moved my OS appointment forward to next Monday which means I don't have to wait much longer for an answer, if there is one! I am hoping they will Xray to give me peace of mind if nothing else and the OS should be the best person to talk to about ongoing problem. Hubby is still taking me out for lunch.
 
I just had to post my success story of yesterday - I felt really good not just my knee but generally. Hubby put some decorations up that require the use of steps but I did the tree and walked round the house a lot supervising. I made dinner with no problems and still felt really good, usually once I have cooked something I am too tired or in too much pain to enjoy the meal but yesterday managed to sit with leg bent for dinner with very little discomfort. I forgot to take mid day pain relief!!! Decided to have a glass of wine with dinner and sack taking any ibuprofen or codein, spread out my paracetamol so I could take those at 2 a.m. rather than codein. A bit achey today and know that I need to take it easy today but yesterday was soooo good I just wanted to cry with joy!! I thought I was heading for the ODIC but so far ok. Just needed to share some good news for a change. See my OS tomorrow so be prepared for a rant when I get back :rotfl:
 
Forgot to add that Bonesmart are so right as I managed to walk 11 stair using normal steps - just felt I had to do it !!! And all this is from doing very little excercise and not pushing myself just normal daily activity which currently is very little most days!!!Thank you my Bonesmart friends for your excellent advice. :) :-) (::thumb:
 
@Carol Anna Well done on all the activity and reduced pain. Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom