THR THR progress update 24 days post-surgery

So, I have a question….I’m very swollen in my hip below the incision. The incision on the surface is almost healed but I realize underneath is still healing. I’m wondering if I did too much activity this week. Also, my knee tends to swell significantly with pain to the touch on outside of surgery side knee.

Any thoughts?
 
Are you icing? No shame in continued icing, if it feels good do it. Good chance if you're trying to do too much your body is trying to tell you something. Look at the muscles of the leg and how they terminate at the knee, I would get a burning sensation at my knee cap from those muscles if I did too much.
 
Maybe time to rein back on the exercise? Ice Ice baby!
 
But I feel great, making progress!

That is GREAT news !!! I'm so happy for you!:)


Why do we keep it in such random cupboards and inaccessible places?! Must have seemed sensible at the time
YES!!! My hubbs and I LOL at howwww much I've rearranged things
in the kitchen to accommodate my inability to reach and bend!
(And even though I have several DIFFERENT brands of reachers/grabbers,
NONE of them are very strong and/or they do NOT pick up certain things
that fall on the floor :hissy:! )

I recently got some exceptionally long
BBQ tongs and they grasp heavier/ harder to grab things MUCH better!
 
Well I NEVER thought of BBQ tongs, thank you for that! Ha haaa.

I am in a similar spot, my knee is giving me more pain and swelling, as a general rule, than the hip. And the outside of my thigh, below the incision, is where I get some swelling. I just RICE as much as I can. RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression (no, I don't bother with compression socks, I skip that step), and Elevate. Getting the HIP above the heart is a challenge. I'm generally more happy if I have my knee elevated. I am spending a LOT of time in the recliner with my legs up; and that doesn't even put anything above my heart!

I think we are both likely doing too much; more than the soft tissue is ready to do. So we need to stop and think about what we are doing, and find ways to ease up a bit on tasks. ASK for help; I do not find this easy. I live alone so it means asking a friend to come and do something. Much different than for folks who live with someone.

Hang in there
 
There is battery operated leg pumps available at Amazon very reasonable prices. They are very helpful in relieving pain and pressure in swollen operated leg. They are easy to assemble . I used them 3-4 times a day , very easy to use . And help with swelling and pain Relief.
I always wonder why they are mentioned more on this site or by doctors. They are very similar to the type used in hospitals after surgery.
 
@Starmarie It's normal to experience swelling that possibly will come and go for a while longer. Are
you taking some time to lie down and rest /elevate your leg? Here's a great picture of the best way to do it.. hope this helps.. I will leave another post with some simple steps you can do to help move your swelling gently and fairly easily.


Laying with a pillow under your knee is not a good idea. It should be like this, similar but different!


[Bonesmart.org] THR progress update 24 days post-surgery
 
I hope this helps! @Starmarie

It's a form of lymphatic drainage that can be used post surgically.
****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will an
d it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****
 
I think we are both likely doing too much; more than the soft tissue is ready to do. So we need to stop and think about what we are doing, and find ways to ease up a bit on tasks. ASK for help; I do not find this easy. I live alone so it means asking a friend to come and do something. Much different than for folks who live with someone.

Hang in there

Yep, I believe you are absolutely correct about doing too much. I too am on my own right now. It’s so difficult to do the most basic tasks like take out the garbage, clean the litter box, cooking and cleaning up for yourself. I actually just bought a robot vacuum and I love it. Pretty much everything else is not getting done for a while. I also do not like to ask for help. Thankfully I have a great neighbor who is handling my garbage bins every week. what I really need is a robot in the kitchen that will cook for me and then pick up my dishes and keep the kitchen clean.

I have completely backed off on activity spending more time resting which is driving me crazy. I’m used to being up on my feet doing stuff.

My mind is ready to go but my body says no.
 
I hope this helps! @Starmarie

It's a form of lymphatic drainage that can be used post surgically.
****
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your naval and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will an
d it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.
****

I love the breathing suggestion. I teach yoga so I’m all about the breathing and somehow during this whole surgery recovery I have forgotten to breathe.
 
[

I recently got some exceptionally long
BBQ tongs and they grasp heavier/ harder to grab things MUCH better!

it’s funny that you mention barbecue tongs. I got barbecue tongs and some packing tape and created an extra long cat litter box scoop. I was quite proud of myself. It worked like a charm.
 
So yesterday and today my hip feels like there’s a tennis ball in there. It’s super swollen. I’m not in pain, there’s just a lot of pressure. So I rested yesterday and looks like all day today is going to be a rest day.

I’m icing, icing, icing. Ice Ice baby.

Please someone tell me this is quite normal if I overdid it on activity…
 
Please someone tell me this is quite normal if I overdid it on activity…

I’m sorry you’re feeling the pressure you described above.
This early on…yes. It seems over-activity and not enough activity can cause swelling.
Its a balancing act for sure. You’re doing the right thing in icing. Try elevation also.
Jamie from Admin shared this helpful piece of info on the forum before -
Jamie shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Hope this helps and the swelling eases soon…Happy Tuesday!
 
How to elevate a hip? Hang upside down like spider man?
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] THR progress update 24 days post-surgery
    1A32CCF4-F9AA-4BC8-86AB-140E37E30287.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 178
I'd love to see you if you can pull that off! But nothing that drastic is needed, just elevate like that illustration shows that I left here for you earlier..

Love that picture, though..:spin:
 
Sounds like you are doing so, so well! Glad you have found a solution to to back sleeping - like you I never , ever choose to sleep on my back and 6 weeks of it first time around was gruelling! Second hip op in 2 days time - need to get one of your pillows!
 
Well, you’ve made it to one month post op today.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Hopefully you’re pleased with your progress.
Best Wishes for a nice weekend!
@Starmarie
 
Well, you’ve made it to one month post op today.
Happy One Month Anniversary! Hopefully you’re pleased with your progress.
Best Wishes for a nice weekend!
@Starmarie
Thank you Layla! It’s been a learning process and nothing like I ever expected. I’m so glad I found this website because it’s helped me have a better understanding of the process of healing and to be gentle with myself.
 
Please someone tell me this is quite normal if I overdid it on activity…

I’m sorry you’re feeling the pressure you described above.
This early on…yes. It seems over-activity and not enough activity can cause swelling.
Its a balancing act for sure. You’re doing the right thing in icing. Try elevation also.
Jamie from Admin shared this helpful piece of info on the forum before -
Jamie shared that it’s our lymph system that rids the body of fluid (swelling). So you want to get the fluid to the lymph nodes in your torso area so your body can more quickly process it. The lymph system works rather slowly on it’s own and much more efficiently with the assistance of gravity. The fluid isn’t draining into the hips, but contained with the lymph system and moving to the torso and lymph nodes located there.

Hope this helps and the swelling eases soon…Happy Tuesday!
Interesting information about the lymph system. My entire body is swollen. I’m actually up 13 pounds from pre-surgery, so this explains what’s going on. I’m not going to freak out because I know there’s no way I could gain that amount of weight in one month. So I guess I’ll try to get my legs higher. Maybe “legs up the wall“ which is a restorative and pre-sleep yoga position.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom