TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

OMG you have had so much to suffer with your RA and TKR. I am glad you are going to counselling. It never hurts to have a face-to-face exchange with a sympathetic person. That will help take a little pressure off your husband. I've gone to counselling several times in my life and never regretted it. I hope in Wales it is free and part of your health care system. I am afraid to take a bath. It will come in time. Soaks are wonderful on cold days and it isn't cold here yet. (uups, off topic?). Hugs. :loveshwr: Have a better day!

@Floridagal, thanks for that encouragement and yes, long warm soaks are the best thing for the achy joints!
Unfortunately, the counselling I'm having isn't free!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry you've been feeling so down, but happy that you think your knee is turning the corner. We need to take advantage of any kind of help needed.

I think you're doing the right thing going for help, too. With all you have been through, it's bound to help. I pray God is sending you to the one He has picked out for you! I've also been to counseling and found it a big help! Just having an impartial ear to listen to us is enough to help! And someone with the profession training will know how to lead you to the right questions and answers!

@sistersinhim ive never been to a professional counsellor before, but she seems like a really nice lady and it's at the hospital where I had my TKR, which is a small private one, and feels like my second home, I usually bump into someone I know. I'm just sending a thank you card to Garry my physio. I'd like to give something to my surgeon as a thank you as well, but it's not easy to know what to get, however I discovered he has a young daughter, so im planning a little stitching project for a picture I hope she will like. It's supposed to take 30 hours (add ten more for unpicking of mistakes), but that's nothing to how many hours he has spent honing his skill to become a surgeon. It's this:

Attachments

• Tabbycat's Recovery<
    image.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 178
We're getting off subject, but I'm sure your OS would be thrilled with that for his daughter. It's beautiful! What a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do for him! You can do that while elevating and icing that knee of yours!

Wow, tabby, this is great news. I know that it's scary to say out loud that you might be turning a corner, but this may be a big jump. So happy for you. Nice to hear that prescriptions are free in Wales. Does that mean all of them? I've been using the 12 hour Voltaren and I think it works, although not sure if it's placebo. However, it seems to have some effect. I hope it will for you as well.
Please try not to despair. You have to believe it will continue to improve. It is so hard to see others have surgery and are up and moving soon after, pain fee when you aren't , but we have to believe there is healing coming. You are cared about by so many, and have been so encouraging to me. Sending that care around back to you.
Love mamazipp
:angel:

I'm not sure what a bath lift is, but I sure do miss tub baths. I love that cross stitch picture and what a lovely gift to give.
I've been to therapy and highly recommend it for being able to give voice to fears, concerns, etc. I actually highly recommend it but of course I come from New York, where everyone is in therapy.

@mamazipp, yes all prescriptions are free in Wales but not in England.
The bath lift is a battery powered chair that sits in the bath and lowers you down and back up again then you recharge the battery for the next time. I can step over the side of the bath, but no way will my knees let me sit down or get back up. Mobility shops usually have several different models.
Thanks for the encouragement, and no, I won't give up, I've had a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm heading towards it. I hope the therapy helps too, I feel I need some tools to use when I feel I am going downhill, like you have brakes on a car. Whatever comes of it it will be good to talk to someone non judgemental and supportive.

Keep reaching out towards that light, Margaret! It can only help!

I've had a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm heading towards it. I hope the therapy helps too, I feel I need some tools to use when I feel I am going downhill, like you have brakes on a car. Whatever comes of it it will be good to talk to someone non judgemental and supportive.
I'm glad you're getting help. That's a much better thing to do than to struggle on, getting more and more "down". Everyone seems to get the blues post-op, but some people need a little help to get over them. Perfectly OK to do that. :friends:

Your emotional recovery is part of your overall recovery, so it's OK to talk about it.

Tabbycat I hope you get the help you need, talking is so good and if she gives you advice that you might need a little help by using medication then take it, think of it as a crutche for your wellbeing, but these things don't change over night they take time. So glad that you feel there is light at the tunnel, know how you feeling as that's how I was with my 1st knee chin up xx

LTKR 11 May 2016

I truly know what it's like to feel that everyone is moving forward and it seems like you are lagging behind. I felt that talking to a counselor helped me a lot during that time and other rough times in my life.

Dear Tabbycat
I know how much you have been through and I hope and pray for better days ahead:console2:
I can honestly say that both of my knee surgeries have tested my faith, stretched my patience,and brought me to tears more times than I can count! I now have a deep respect for everyone who goes through this kind of surgery and the rocky road to recovery.

I so so miss my bath. I can flop myself into the tub but just can't get back out :(
I take a couple of different anti-depressants-they help me!

Thanks @julesm86, I really appreciate that. The TKR knee is still giving me some problems, but then so is the other one. My doc is puzzled why my inflammation markers are quite low, but rheumatoid factor is very high, it doesn't add up. I'm waiting to see if the OS wants an MRI to try to find out what's going on. It never rains...
I hope you are doing ok.

Tabby, I didn't know you were having such problems still. You are in my prayers!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022