TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

I heard in some races they give the caboose award for the last one in. The important part is that you were in the race and that you finished. That day will come for you too. It is great that you can now do a full cycle on the bicycle. It's good that PT is there for you to encourage you along the way. At least that's what I hope they are doing.
 
@Floridagal yes I'm at the back of the train, but not at the end of the line. Sometimes I don't think Garry knows what to do with me, but he's sticking with me, so that's good.
 
Tabby, I loved your analogy of us taking the scenic route! We're just stopping at numerous points to enjoy where we are! And wonderful that you made it around on your bike! I've been doing the recumbent bike, but Marilyn's up right hurt me really badly about a month ago, so I was afraid of it. Well, I got on it last night and I did fine! So, you and I made it together! God is good...all the time! All the time...God is good!!
 
@Tabbycat
So glad to hear you can finally make full revolutions on your ex bike..yay! :happydance:
I remember the day when I finally accomplished that (what a great feeling). and guess what? it will get better! each week you will find that the seat can be lowered and you will pick up speed along the way.:biking:
 
@Majella, I'm not so sure about @Tabbycat being about to lower the seat every week. I haven't been able to. It takes about 3 weeks before I can lower it. Just being about to get those revolutions is a wonderful feat! But, Tabby you will continue to improve. I think you and I are pretty much heal at the same rate. Every step is a blessing!
 
@sistersinhim and @Majella I don't think I'll be able to lower the seat just yet either, I'm just happy I can pedal right round. Feel like my ROM is stuck at the moment,so I hope the bike will help. Yes, nothing fast about this recovery for some of us, we ARE recovering though. Thanks both for reminding me to stay positive :yes:
 
Tabby great news about the bike, I definitely think it helps with the ROM...Another great victory!! you are such a fighter and so determined, you get 2 pieces of chocolate!!!
 
That's great that you've gotten that bike rotation. I'm not at the end of the train but I had tone SWITCH trains. Depending how you count I'm 13 months out from my original surgery and still have a way to go. Like the idea of the scenic route. I'm taking a slow train but I'm still going forward.
 
Tabbycat, congratulations on the bike. Being able to do something new again (is that a contradiction in terms?) must be a wonderful feeling.
 
Oh this journey there are lots of news that we will be able to do again!
 
Well I've just finished my paid for physio ( I really spread them out over a long time - well, Garry is nice :wink: ) though I will go for a few more sessions, he's not fixated on the ROM numbers thankfully, but just wants me to get as good a result as possible I think. Last time he really concentrated on stretches for my extension which was uncomfortable at the time, but I think it has improved some as I've been walking a bit easier. I've even taken up a new hobby - bread making. I'm experimenting with wheat free baking and am making bread and cakes with spelt flour. it's so nice to do such a simple but satisfying thing again. There are so many things I am now not taking for granted.
 
Yea Tabby. Life is returning and doesn't it feel good? Bread,baking is very satisfying..good aromas and then the finished product. Are you doing the whole process by hand, or using a bread machine? How is the spelt bread?

I paid for some extra PT when my insurance capped, because I'd found the wonderful PT in the beautiful tree lined setting. Now, however, I think I'll try to do the things he suggested and try to go to the rec center for the machines.....rec center 5.00 walk in vs 70.00 PT. when I was working I had unlimited PT, but the retirement benefits are bare minimum.

You have a bike at home so that helps a great deal. Happy to hear of your expanding extension! Our bodies do heal, some more slowly, but we get there.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I bet your house smells good! I think I'll swim on over and get some bread over there! What is spelt? I've never heard of it.

Good job on your extension increase! You might want to try what I found by mistake, and that's bending at your waist. I'm certain that's what did it for me. Since I've been unable to squat for over 20 years, I've had to bend from my waist to with my knees straight. If I bent them too much, down I would go! I guess this was one of the advantages of the disadvantages of having now kneecaps! God took my bad and turned it into good!
 
@sistersinhim
Like you I have a lot of problems bending my knees,just too painful and I had to do a lot of that in my job teaching nursery, three and four year olds are much nearer the ground! So I tend to bend from the waist too. It does hurt my knee but I'm sure the stretch is good.
As for the baking, spelt is an ancient form of wheat but with a more fragile form of gluten which is much easier to digest. It's also richer in protein and vitamins and minerals and can be used in most recipes where you would normally use wheat. It seems that foods made with modern wheat can make inflammation worse but spelt doesn't have that effect. I can't take anti inflammatories because I took so many over the years they really messed up my stomach and caused chronic gastritis. So I'm interested in an anti inflammatory diet. I got off a proton pump inhibitor drug after two and a half years, and now rarely even get heartburn. You would also love the banana cake, it's made with sprouted spelt flour (even more nutritious), bananas,coconut sugar, ground almonds, chia seeds, sultanas, butter and mixed spice. The two I made last week lasted exactly three days!
@mamazipp
I've always been put off bread making thinking it was a long labour intensive process needing special ingredients and machines. But I started baking with spelt (for the above reasons) and there was a hand made bread recipe on the packet of flour. It's quick, cheap, and because the dough rises quickly and needs very little kneading, it's easy to make. It has a different texture, but tastes nice and makes lovely crunchy toast. Obviously there are no preservatives, but it's no problem to make a loaf a couple of times a week.
As for the bike, it is getting a little easier though I limit it to about five to ten minutes each time, otherwise I get overtired and don't want to do it the next day. I think little and often is better.
 
It sounds yummy! And the best part, healthy! I'm not much of a baker, but I can look for these things in the health food store. I, also ride my bike only 5 minutes at a time, then ice. Then, maybe do it again later, and maybe not! The more I baby my knee, the better she treats me. I work no more than 30 minutes before icing again. As, I've said before, I think I'm addicted to ice! I love the way it feels on my sore knee!
 
@sistersinhim I agree totally about the ice addiction. It just feels so good!

@Tabbycat your banana bread sounds delicious. I've never made banana bread...ill have to try. Also the spelt.

@Josephine I have a question. I had severe bruising post op, behind my knee and down my calf, all the way to my ankle, which lasted many weeks. I now have a discoloration of the skin behind my leg in my calf area. Did I read in a thread somewhere on the forum that that is staining of the tissue from hemoglobin? And that it is likely permanent? Is that common? I'm curious, not that I care all that much about how it looks at this point......
 
Back
Top Bottom