Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

Snore away, my friend! While you're sleeping the healing fairy is sprinkling your knee with healing dust!
 
@sistersinhim
I always maintained I do NOT snore, but when I came home from hospital I was sleeping downstairs on the recliner while my hubby is in bed upstairs. He is hard of hearing, and I would yell as loud as I could in the night for help, and he wouldn't hear me, so we had the bright idea of getting a baby monitor, and guess what, it works a treat, only thing is he is adamant I DO snore. I tried to blame the dog!
 
@Tabbycat. Sorry to hear of your continuing pain. Mine was identified as nerve pain and Gabapentin did relieve it. I have, luckily, not gained weight on it.
 
@mamazipp I just put a link up for you there is a short video explaining what radiotherapy ablation is I had nerve damage after my 1st TKR just over 4 years ago in January 2012 then had the ablation done 10 months after and since reciving that my right knee has been perfect. Hope that it is informative.

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
I'm very sorry to hear about your pain issues. It must be dreadful not finding something that works. I was able to take low doses of oxycodone without too many side effects, and now I'm on tramadol. Usually my pain comes from overdoing it, so I'm trying to be extra careful with my activity levels this time around. I hope relief comes quickly for you, so you can get back to doing the things you love. xo
 
@Dawni,
Thanks for that information. Just one question, how did they find out you had nerve damage after your first TKR?
 
@Tabbycat he injected a plain block in to the nerves every 3 months if it worked then they new they had the right nerves as you have hundreds of nerves he had an idea it was nerve damage so had to check that it would work with the block which it did the nerve block dose not last very long about 6-8 weeks so if that worked then he new the ablation would it's lasted over 4 years I have had no pain since the ablation the longer you have no pain then the chances of the damaged nerve growing back is very slim, it did hurt but was over very quick I had a light seductive but you have to be awake to let him know if your foot gose numb or another part of your leg, the doctor that did this was on TV talking about it a few years ago and is a fantastic pain doctor look him up Mr Coligan. It worked good for me x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@Dawni
Thanks for that info,you learn something new everyday. I'm really glad that treatment was successful and has had a long lasting effect.
Tabby xxx
 
Saw Garry my nice physio today. We did some bends and stretches for me to practice at home. My flex is about 80 and extension about 15 (since I slipped and over extended) but he is not making a big thing of the numbers. He understands my worry about (perceived) lack of progress, and really emphasises that my recovery will be individual to me, it's not a race with a finishing line. He showed me how when I get stressed I tense up and that translates into more pain. So concentration on distraction and relaxation helps you achieve more with less pain. (I still haven't really found any pain meds I can tolerate which work). It reminds me of a poster I had on my wall when I was in college. It was a photo of a goat, on its own, on top of a mountain. Underneath it said " I'm so far behind I think I'm first". It's hard not to compare and feel a bit of a failure, but the knee WILL heal up in its own time and can't be rushed.
Tabby xxx
 
Hey Tabby are you still having that pain in the same spot (outside of your knee)? I'm still having the pain on the inside. I can handle the slow recovery but that pain that has been in that same spot since my surgery is not something I can handle. I'm going to see my surgeon on Monday and I am definitely planning on addressing this again and am not letting it be dismissed. I really don't believe it is normal to have such intense pain in one area without there being a reason behind it (especially I'm almost 14 weeks post op). Everything else on my knee feels pretty sound (save the funky loose feeling:heehee:). Is the rest of your knee ok except for that one spot?
 
We don't see daily improvement, but little bits of improvement weekly. If I look at where I was yesterday compared to where I am today, it's the same. But, if I look back on a week ago, I can see a tiny bit of improvement! It can be very discouraging if we expect daily improvements. Not so much if we use a bigger block of time us compare it to.
 
@Tabbycat your physio is so right no 2 people are ever the same my 1st TKR was much more of a struggle, I know people that have had both knees done and they are both different with different problems, I take my hat off to those that have had both at the same time. So think of you as you not how others are doing its like the hair and the tortoise you will get there in the end keep smiling x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@LFitz
I have pain in one specific spot, mostly when I move,it's on the left side of the kneecap. It's where the worst of the inflammation was and where the surgeon had the most work to do with the synovectomy. I have recently had very sharp pains right through the joint, about a 7 on the scale, no obvious reason, they come and go, sometimes lasting a few hours, then I can go a few days without them. I presume it's the surgery healing. I was looking at diagrams of the knee on the Internet, and it's incredibly complex with all the muscles, nerves, ligaments, and bones and a TKR is huge trauma. I hope you get some answers from your OS. Keep us posted.
Love, Tabby :kittykiss:
 
I know you can't help but compare with others but we do all heal at a different rate and I'm so sorry you think you are a failure because you feel you are a little behind with your recovery. You had a bad experience only a couple of weeks ago and that's bound to put you back and completely knock your confidence but you are improving each day and you will continue to improve. X
 
You have to remember as well that you have rheumatoid arthritis so I think that makes a big difference in your healing processes. Thus comparing yourself to us OA people who are just here because of a mechanical glitch puts you at a disadvantage before you start. In the long haul the RA people eventually DO make it through the tunnel!! It's just even more frustrating (as if we needed that!) along the way.
You'll make it and the end result will be that much sweeter.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Please try not to get discouraged. Having both my knees done at the same time I can tell you for sure they are each so different on the same body and operated on by the same surgeon on the same day!
 
Back
Top Bottom