Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tabbycat's Recovery<

I'm so glad to hear all is okay after your fall. I hope the pain specialist can help you-I really understand what pain meds do to some of us! I'm in a tough spot too if I end up needing another surgery-Dilaudid was my last resort, and I won't take it anymore after this last reaction, so I really know where you are. Let us know how things are, what they say, etc. Kim
 
Yes it's very time consuming

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Friends gave me coloring books, which are nice, but it's easier to color on an app while lying down with your knee on pillows wrapped in ice.
 
I am just getting around to checking on people. My knee has kept me pre-occupied. I am so sorry for the rough time you are having. I am glad that things are looking up a little. I am on minimal pain mess cause my stomach gets upset. I can appreciate your pain. You have lots of folks sending positive vibes. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there. Love.
 
Hi everyone,
I've been to see the pain specialist and to be honest am a bit underwhelmed. She basically offered me a prescription for Amitriptyline (which I took for several years to help sleep, and found it very difficult to wean off, which I wanted to do because of significant weight gain), and recommended a TENS machine, which I have also tried in the past and really disliked the sensation. This took twenty minutes and cost £200 (private appointment). My husband had a fit, and felt (rightly I think) that pain control should have been part of the original treatment. I don't think I'll go back for the follow up. What I have done is make enquiries about the APS Therapy which is said to work by stimulating the body's own healing mechanisms. It assists in pain relief, injury repair, and energy, and is safe to use. It's being used by several private MS clinics in the UK and is being trialled at the moment by the NHS in Hull on patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis and MS. it is not a quick fix, but works slowly over several weeks, and is fully refundable after eight weeks if you find it does not help significantly. After all my difficulties I am going to give it a try and hope for the best. If anyone is interested the (UK) website is www.painfreepotential.co.uk.
Hope everyone is having a good day.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I'm sorry your experience with the pain management doctor was such a dud. I agree that pain management should be part of the treatment.

My OS works with a team, which includes a pain management doctor, who did an amazing job of managing my pain in hospital. I was rather surprised to discover that the pain management doctor is ONLY during inpatient, and I have to rely on the PA to manage my post op meds. I haven't faced anywhere near the challenges you have, and given your history, your OS should have had a plan in place for you to see a pain management doctor.

I hope this other treatment you mentioned is beneficial for you.

As far as the TENS unit, have you ever tried it on your knee/quads before, or just other areas? I ask because usually I hate the sensation of icing muscles, and that usually results in my muscles tensing/spasming. Not so with my knee. If you haven't tried TENS on your knee before, it might be worth giving it a try - especially if you already have a machine.

Good luck to you, Tabby.
 
@CaliGirl ,I don't have a TENS machine now but tried one years ago. I'll bear what you said in mind. Thanks for telling me about your experience, it's helpful.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat sorry your visit was not successful and such a lot of money for nothing, what about your GP can they not help.

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@Dawni
I think I'm running out of options on the medications front, and the one GP I trust has been away and is leaving the practice soon. The other one I have been with for years has just retired. I don't think trying to sort out post op pain with a GP is ideal either, it's alright if you just need repeat prescriptions.
 
Well, you'd think that visit could have been more productive! I can't help but think as you look for answers that the clock is ticking away the hours and days and may be your only ally. I've had two TKR - one with lousy pain management and one with good, and really feel for you.

Hang in there. Are any OTC meds giving you any relief at all?
 
What a disappointment for you. I know you had high hopes with the pain manager. It sounds like a title and not much more.
 
@GimpyGal
I'm back on Cocodamol, it's paracetamol with a bit of codeine. I don't like how it makes me feel, but is a little bit more effective than paracetamol alone without causing nausea. Best I can do at the moment. As you say time is going by and I am starting to feel as if I am getting so behind in my recovery. I just hope it all comes right in the end. Thanks for your encouragement, it's keeping me going.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat on my 1st TKR I finally had to have radiotherapy ablation RTA as I had nerve pain that would not go away it was some 9 months down the road but it worked and that knee has been pain free since so don't give up hope there is always somthing if all else fails, what about hypnotherapy or having an appointment with the surgeon that did your operation x

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@Dawni
I was reading something about radiotherapy ablation it was interesting. Is it a kind of nerve block? i wonder if it's just for nerve pain, I don't think that's what I've got, just surgical pain and stiffness. I saw my OS this week to get my knee checked out after my fall. He was reassuring and not pushing me to get ROM yet, but obviously the better I do the happier we will all be. He referred me to the pain specialist I saw this morning. he thought she might prescribe Pregabalin, but I think that's more for neuropathic pain (I may be wrong), and one side effect is weight gain, which would not be good for my knees, and I've put on quite a bit post op already. So I was glad she didn't suggest it. She did mention some topical treatment, but the inscision needs to do more healing before I could try that and I need pain relief now. Time is going by.
 
I'm very sorry that the pain management doctor you saw didn't offer anything to help you. I feel for you since I went through that with my first TKR. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon.:flwrysmile:
 
@Tabbycat yes it is for nerve pain as I said I did not have it untill a while after my operation, I did try pregabalin and gabipentin both without success and yes a lot of wait gain. X

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
@Tabbycat sorry yes it is for nerve pain not just knees but for any pain that involves the nerves, and yes it is very intresting subject

LTKR 11 May 2016
 
Tabby...keep the faith, maybe it's just going to take a little longer for you, we are all unique and heal differently...I'm praying for your quick painless recovery!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom