TKR Swimming Query

Hi Andypandy
nice to hear from you. Sleeping is improving but still waking up roughly every two hours to go to the loo. Not sure why, but GP has suggested that I have some blood tests which have been arranged for March 9th. I no longer wake up with headaches or with a dry mouth but still things have not completely gone back to normal.
When did you have your operation and how are you getting on?
I am trying to go for a walk every day and I have a set of exercises which I do 3 times a day. It is difficult to be patient, but hopefully it will be worth it eventually.
 
Andypandy, and aries, 4 and a half weeks. Did my ‘nitric dump’? Not sure that’s it? Exercises before shower this morning. Mostly arm, so ok, and better than nothing.
was about to try the 10 minute round the block walk for first time before we go out for a meal (long meal, boar, deer many courses much wine french communal meal...) but it’s windy and pouring, so no..
these ops do show things up don’t they, liver, blood tests... my cardiologist wants me to have an exercise test for her when I’m fit, so, lots of exercise and healthy eating before I go back for that!
 
Hi all at 4 weeks now on second knee replacement .today though and yesterday have had a lot of throbbing in lower leg and ankle have iced and that has helped a bit just wondering has anybody else had this
 
Hi ladies, enjoy your meal Henrietta, just had visit from one of my son's and grandson and thoroughly enjoyed bacon/sausage rolls, 1 for me, and.....a doughnut. Never normally eat like that but hey ho. @aries , I will be 6 weeks on Tuesday and still frustration. As said before, 1 day good and then wham back to square 1. Finding leg bends really difficult now as my glutes have tightened , really limits the stretch so hoping my Osteopath can help, Monday evening 6 pm.
The stiffness is really hard to overcome, time is a healer. My sleep pattern is still similar to yours, 2 to 3 hours. Walking around the house, heel to toe is my mantra. @Gerry316 how are you coping with exercises, this site has been brilliant with the information, gives us a better insight into the reality of it all. It was drummed into me that you had to have a 90 degree ROM by 3 weeks, sheer panic until I found this site. We have so much to deal with don't we. How's your leg now? Is the calf swollen. Are you on blood thinners, the thing you need to be aware of is blood clots. Maybe if it carrys on a trip to A&E. Hopefully nothing to worry about but you could also call nhs 111. Let us know how you are xxxx
 
Last edited:
Last night was my first night sleeping longer than 2-3 hours at a time, managed a 4 hour stint, although whether that was because the first stint was only 40 minutes I don't know.

My memory might be playing false, but I thought someone once mentioned that we're up every couple of hours to get rid of the excess fluid our leg accumulates during the day. My leg looks much slimmer first thing for sure.

Sleep will return to us all one day I hope!
 
Hi there I’ve been doing exercises three times a day but not today as too painful my rom in hospital was eighty and now home eighty eight could not put in no’s iPad is temperamental calf not swollen just knee. I agree this site is brilliant as are the moderators on it I too have restless nights but have to getup for a wee a few times joys of getting old .Im just so looking forwards to the spring and lighter nights . Onwards and upwards ladies and gents
 
Henrietta I have never heard of a nitric dump. Is it some kind of exercise programme. I hope that you enjoyed your lunch today. It sounds as if you have a very relaxed life style. We met up with some old friends last night for a curry which was nice. My knee was stiff after I had been sitting in a restaurant for several hours though. I have my next appointment with physio tomorrow so that should be interesting.

Gerry sorry to hear that you are suffering with aches and pains and hope that things improve soon for you. It certainly is a journey where you make progress one day and then go backwards.
Lindy Lee thanks for your explanation as to why I need to make do many visits to loo during the night. It is an interesting explanation. I think that I would sleep quite well now if I did not have to make do many visits to bathroom. I see my surgeon on Friday but I doubt that he will have any explanations.
Any way we are all on the same journey and there is no going back but hopefully we will all get there in our own time.
 
I’m very fortunate sleeping through the night quite well now. Do have ice though. Enjoyed the long meal out 12.30 to 5.30. Glad I didn’t drink much (drove the short distance home)
very windy and rainy here today.
hope you feel better soon, Gerry316. forget that Rom just cosset the knee.
 
Aries,
nitric oxide release dump is a set of High intensity brief exercises recommended by someone called Dr Mercola. He’s American and has some odd ideas, but I think these exercises ok, and if feeling up to it do them before my shower. Getting rid of the nitric oxide is a good thing apparently. It’s nothing to do with new knees. The first of 4 exercises is 10 squats so of course I’m being very cautious about that. The next 3 exercises are for arms so that’s ok.
the meal yesterday lasted from 12.30 till 5.30, so about every hour I got up and had a walk round. Would have been a good idea for everyone there I think!
i see my surgeon on Friday too. Good luck with the physio.
 
Went to see physio and he was very pleased with progress. Knee bend is now 110 degrees and I can achieve a straight leg. Now advised to walk around house without crutches and start to reduce use of two crutches to one when walking outside. So everything at the moment seems to be going g OK.
Friday's appointment with the surgeon has been cancelled for some reason, but I am seeing him on Thursday. Just hope that he will give me the OK to drive. Tried to ask physio how many weeks it would be before I can go on an aeroplane flight but did not get a straight answer. However, I think our plans of going anywhere at the moment have been out on hold.
 
Yes, several reasons for travel being put on hold at the moment aren’t there! We’re wondering whether to travel back to Uk in April. Lots of necessary reasons for it, but we‘ll see how the virus goes...
Well done, your physio appt sounds good. How are you sleeping now?
i walked round the block yesterday, 10 minutes, for the first time. Sometimes motivated by the fit bit to complete the 250 steps in an hour suggested as well. Go to see the Kine this afternoon.
 
Sleeping is improving slowly but still wake up every few hours to go to the loo. I will see my consultant tomorrow but I doubt that he will have any explanation. Do not seem to get headaches anymore. Went out with friends last night for a meal which was nice.
Not using crutches when indoors but knee feels very tight when I get up in the morning.
Hope that your appointment went well yesterday.
It is amazing to think that we are now approaching the five week mark since operation.
 
Did 2 exercises with Kine for nearly an hour. Then knee sore. Not often like that. Ok now though. Ice at night.
perhaps because of pain/discomfort your sleep is lighter so making you aware of the need for the loo?
we woke at 2.30 am in the night due to husbands problems (he has an allergy) so we were awake for hours, then back to sleep again.
Yes, seems to me first 4 weeks bad, then gradually better.
 
Oh dear, it sounds as if you are suffering at night as well due to husband's problems. My knee does not really bother me at night and I feel that I am sleeping more deeply now. Hopefully time will help to sort these problems out.
Hubby has gone out today to meet his buddy, so I am home alone. It will be strange having to sort my own meals out as I have been spoilt over the last few weeks.
Really hoping consultant will give me the OK to drive when I see him tomorrow.
 
Good to hear the headaches have stopped. Hopefully the waking will lessen too. Good luck with your appointment tomorrow.
 
Managed to almost have a normal night's sleep and only woke up a couple of times, which is almost back to normal. Saw consultant today and he was happy. Gave me the OK to drive and said that I did not have to wear stockings anymore.Will review me in 3 months. So nice to be wearing s normal pair of socks and no Norah Batty stockings anymore
 
I did drive yesterday, and did shopping in Lidl. Overdid it. Knee a bit sore still. My own fault.
see surgeon today.
glad you’re sleeping better. I’m ok at night now, (except for husband). Have ice often at night still.
 
We all join that ODIC club at some point. Hope the appt goes well and your knee feels better today.
 
Dear Lindylee and Aries, knee not quite so good after yesterday but good enough. saw surgeon who confirmed knee ok and able to drive and swim.
very brief appt but I asked how much longer my ROM might improve, out of interest. He said 6 months.
Then had a new adventure. Husband drove us to Bordeaux and we went round Ikea, me in a wheelchair, first time for that. Did ok, except when he put the extra ‘basket’ on the front I was a bit nervous in the china department! Now home, very tired but ok.
 
I asked how much longer my ROM might improve, out of interest. He said 6 months.
My ROM improved after my one year anniversary and after my second year anniversary, so yours could also. My whole leg just relaxed more after the first year.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom