TKR Swimming Query

In France we’re allowed to walk 2 km, no more, and they’ve now said, no cycling. Which seems a bit hard as in rural France there‘s lots of space and you’re unlikely to be near anyone in the country. I think it’s because if you had an accident It might take resources away from coping with the virus. We have heard of cases not so many miles from us, so it is ‘everwhere’
i haven’t taken any painkillers for some days, and using ice less now (but not never!). Go for 10 minute walk round the block. Notice that clicking sound then.....
 
Thank you Celle. When walking in grass it was difficult to hear it, but on my 10 minute walk round the block (currently in isolation, like everyone in France) I can hear it.
 
Hi
I have not used this site for site for sometime.
I had my first knee replacement over 6 years ago and my second just over 18 months ago. My 2nd right replacement is great and I do not have any concerns.
I seem to be having a few concerns with the first replacement which was done in 2015. I was always very pleased with my recovery as I recovered quickly could walk distances pain free. The only issue was a small patch of stiffness on the outside of my knee but I assumed that this would improve overtime and there was some improvement and did not bother me too much.
About 6 weeks ago though I seemed to develop lots of tightness in quad muscles and there was some pain on the outside of my knee. On one occasion I had overdone the walking and after walking 4.5 miles I could not bend my knee and had to sit in a hit bath so my knee would bend again.
Normally I have a very good bend in my knee.
My knee has improved since then but I still experience muscle tightening. I returned to the surgeon and he x rayed it and said everything looked good. He advised me to work with physio to build up the muscles as much as possible and go to the gym to strengthen muscles.
I find that wearing different types of shoes seem to upset the muscles around my knee and I only ever wear flat shoes.
I have tried massaging and using a foam roller which seems to have helped a little today. Also used ice and heat. I have some stretching exercises from physio which seem to be helping. I am also riding stationary bike alternate says and going on walks. I am just mystified about why I am having issues 6 years after op and the other knee is great.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery threads. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
 
I am just mystified about why I am having issues 6 years after op and the other knee is great
IMO it is soft tissue problems, and you are doing the right thing by being proactive in trying to find what's wrong. It could be you've just strained things and some rest is called for. As you point out, overdoing things causes problems.
 
Just wondering whether other people still suffer with quad tightness years after knee replacement. Finds this cone on quite often when wearing different styles of shoes. Also does anyone have any suggestions of how to get rid of muscle tightness. Have been doing some exercises suggested by physio but progress seems slow.
 
Just asking for advice regarding swimming in a pool.
I have had both knees replaced several years ago and in a couple if days I am visiting a health spa so hopefully will be going swimming.
I noticed yesterday that I have some soreness between my 4th and 5th toe. I think that it may be a crack in the skin.It is not itchy and does not look like athletes foot but just worried that I could pick up an infection from that I may put myself at risk of picking up an infection from the pool that could cause problems. Any advice welcome
 
:hi: @aries
I certainly think that it is possible you could pick up a fungus or bacteria from visiting a pool with cracked skin.
Possible vs likely... Not sure.
Could athlete's foot affect joint...not likely is my guess but I would probably give my feet a little extra attention to clear it up.
Treat them by giving your feet a little more attention, beginning with moisturizing them at least twice a day. Look for thick moisturizers (Eucerin, Cetaphil, others). Some moisturizers contain skin-softening agents, such as urea, salicylic acid or alpha hydroxy acid, which may help remove dead skin.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery threads.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  1. That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  2. If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

I changed your thread title to reflect your questions... Let me know if you want it changed
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom