TKR Swimming Query

Went to see GP, but he admitted that he did not really have any answers. Suggested having blood tests to check sugar levels, not sure why. He said that I may have reacted to something in one of the medications, that they used in hospital, but we will will probably never know.There are no appointments with nurse for blood tests until 9th March though, so I am hoping that the problem may have resolved by then. He was a very nice young doctor that has recently joined the practice.
Your visit to the physio sounds interesting. I suppose they have all got different methods to help patients reach their goal.
Last night, I think that I slept a little better and did not need to take any pain kiĺers for head aches.
We do not have any particular plans today, but we have some visitors tomorrow, so may need to tidy house. Housework seems to have fallen by the wayside over the last few weeks. Also need to attempt some ironing.
I am hoping to go to book club on Monday, if I manage to finish reading the book. We meet at a local pub and have lunch, which is nice.
Which book are you reading at the moment?
 
Granulation Tissue
Hi again. I am just wondering whether anyone can telĺ me anything about granulation tissue. I had my knee operation on 31st Jan and staples were removed on 14th Feb. One of the staples above the knee cap area was crooked and the nurse struggled to take it out. Consequently, it began to bleed and as I was on Clexane still, it was quite dramatic. She said that there was some granulation tissue, as the edges had not quite come together and put on another dressing. I went back today, to have the dressing taken off and for the nurse to check it again and it still had not completely healed. So another dressing was put on and I will return next Thursday. Obviously I am worried and everything else seems to be going so well. She was not worried about infection, but I am worried that it will never heal.
,
 
I’m not the person to ask, but I expect the problem where the staple came out with difficulty will resolve itself. It’s natural to worry though isn’t it?
My scar looks a bit ‘open’ but the nurse assures me it’s ok. Still lots of back and hip ache today, feel I’m not walking as well as last week. i wasn’t looking forward to book club (it being here so we had to tidy up a bit) but of course it was nice to chat and I enjoyed myself.
we are 2 french and 3 English ladies and as it’s not easy for us to all get the same book,(and not everyone has kindles) what we do is each bring books which we have, to recommend, and discuss and share. I talked about Helen Dunmore an author I recently discovered, and we are going to share (by taking turns) Sky Burial by Xinran, about Tibet.
what are you reading?
The Kine today had me squeezing the foam ball again, then he did a bit of massage and gentle bending. Then for the first time, he had me holding bars, while stepping up and down, (on the ground) and standing on tip toes. Hard work, but achievable.
Hope your sleep is getting better. Don’t overdo it with the ironing!
 
Hi Henrietta,
at our book club we all read the same book and then discuss it over lunch at a local pub. We usually have a list of questions about the book, which we discuss.
Currently, we are reading 'The Reader on the 6.27' which is written by a French writer. It is a very strange book but quite interesting. We read 'The Siege' by Helen Dunmore a few months ago, which I really enjoyed.I would like to read more of her books.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering with your back and hips. Do you think it maybe to walking differently since your knee operation.

Your sessions with the physio sound interesting.
 
I must get round to reading the Siege. The Betrayal, which is about Leningrad after WW2 is good. Will look for ‘the reader on the 6.27’.
one source of English books here is a big half yearly second hand book sale put on by an animal charity. It’s a huge enterprise with lots of rooms and stalls of books, CDs etc. One euro a book! That’s were I got some of the Helen Dunmore.
just finished Sky Burial, my book which I bought years ago. Fascinating if your interested in China or Tibet. A quick read as well.
yes, I think my body is readjusting to the new knee.
enjoy your book club tomorrow.
 
Glad that you are getting used to your new knee and things are going well. I have tried to go out for a walk every day and hopefully that will help the muscles to regain their strength.Still doing exercises three times a day.
We have had a visit from our two youngest grand children this week and and hubby and I are feeling quite shattered as they are quite boisterous and although it I'd nice to see them, it I'd livrly when they go home.
 
Went to see GP, but he admitted that he did not really have any answers. Suggested having blood tests to check sugar levels, not sure why. He said that I may have reacted to something in one of the medications, that they used in hospital, but we will will probably never know.
Sleep disturbance is very common after joint replacements. We did give you an article about it in the recovery guidelines, Here it is again, in case you missed it:
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Your sleep patterns will settle down to normal again, but that sometimes takes several months. Until then, try to make up for sleep lost at night by taking daytime naps.
Sleep where you can, when you can, and how you can.
 
I am just wondering whether anyone can telĺ me anything about granulation tissue. I had my knee operation on 31st Jan and staples were removed on 14th Feb. One of the staples above the knee cap area was crooked and the nurse struggled to take it out. Consequently, it began to bleed and as I was on Clexane still, it was quite dramatic. She said that there was some granulation tissue, as the edges had not quite come together and put on another dressing. I went back today, to have the dressing taken off and for the nurse to check it again and it still had not completely healed. So another dressing was put on and I will return next Thursday. Obviously I am worried and everything else seems to be going so well. She was not worried about infection, but I am worried that it will never heal.
Hi @aries .

First of all, there's no need to worry. The open part of your wound is going to heal, but it will take a little longer than you expected.

Granulation tissue is new connective tissue and microscopic blood vessels that form on the surfaces of a wound during the healing process. Granulation tissue typically grows from the base of a wound and is able to fill wounds of almost any size.

Because the edges of your incision hadn't healed together at the point where the problem staple was, that part of your wound will have to heal by building up tissue until the skin is closed.

The granulation tissue is the second phase of normal scar formation. It's more vascular and that's probably partly why it bled a lot.

To put it non-technically, the granulation tissue is building a bridge between the two skin edges. Because the skin edges didn't heal tightly together at that point, you will probably end up with a scar that is slightly wider there.
 
Hi Celle,
Thanks very much for a clear explanation of what has happened. I am finding the recovery process a roller coaster and will be so pleased when this issue is sorted out. My knee is not red or hot and the nurse assures me that there sre no signs of infection. I am so pleased with my knee overall, but will be much happier when this little issue is resolved.
 
Hi, aries.....I see that Celle has answered the question you wrote me about. As I mentioned in the PM, we normally try to respond to posts with concerns or questions within 24 hours, but sometimes we miss one. I hope Celle's explanation helped calm your nerves.

You might want to read our section of Wound Care (link in the blue toolbar at the top of the page). It describes in great detail the entire healing process following surgery.
 
Aries, yes I can imagine, our cat is enough excitement for me, no children round here!
how far do you walk? Yesterday I walked round the outside of the house, and in the garden, 4,700 steps in total for the day, the most I’ve done. (Also did ironing) I’ve got a feeling I’m not walking as far as I did last year. May be the back ache putting me off, but actually walking may do it good.
crutches, stick, or unaided?
 
Hi Henroetta,

I walked 1.39 miles yesterday according to my phone tracker. I have not counted steps around the house, as I have to track on my phone and I do not usually carry ot round the house with me. I used to have a fit bit, but lost it a few months ago and have not got round to replacing it.

Having a quiet day today. Still raining here, so not very pleasant at the moment. Not sure whether I will make book club today as still did not sleep particularly well last night. Think we are still recovering from a hectic weekend.
Hope that your back improves soon.
 
Hope you enjoyed your quiet day. Sounds like you needed it. Today was very quiet here, had a sleep this afternoon. think I should go out and walk round a bit. Only done 1.02 km today Fitbit says. have just realised ‘notification’ was off, meaning it didn’t buzz to tell me when to get up and finish 250 steps in a day. Think that would help me. Going to do it!
back ache getting better so that will help. Have started meditating again which is good, but not good for the exercise! How are you know?
 
Yes I have had a good day. Went out for lunch with a friend today which was lovely. It is nice to feel part of the outside world again. Feeling really tired now though. It seems to take so much time to do anything.

Went back to hospital to have incision checked and was told that everything is fine and no need to worry. Feel much happier now.

It is amazing how quickly the days seem to go and quite scary the weeks seem to go so quickly.

Still have to war these stockings for another two weeks which is annoying.

Glad that your back ache is improving.
 
Glad your hospital check was good and that you enjoyed an outing, we went to a classic car club do, about 50 people for a meal and a quiz. A long way, over an hour (I didn’t drive of course) but worth it as enjoyable and as you say, nice to be out.
took my crutches but didnt use them, not much walking. Tired once home (the danger is you feel ok at the time then it catches up with you later).
will try to do the 250 steps in an hour, sometimes, today.
Husband has gone to golf but may be back soon as its raining! Been told I don’t have to wear the stockings now, but haven’t stopped as quite like them keeping my legs warm!
using ice at night and on waking.
 
Sounds as if you are doing really well. Still using one crutch around the house, but have tried walking very short distances without it and I think that muscles are getting stronger.
Went to visit an elderly relative yesterday who is in hospital and then called in at supermarket on the way home. I was absolutely exhausted. The knee certainly let's you know when you have done too much.
I am going out for lunch again with another friend, but it is still raining cats and dogs here in the UK. There does not seem to be any end in sight. So sad for the areas which are flooded.
Every day things fel slightly better and it is hard to believe that it is now 4 weeks since operation.
Unfortunately, I have to wear my stockings for another 2 weeks. Most of the time they are fine, but sometimes they become uncomfortable. I am counting down the days when I no longer have to enjoy them.
 
It’s all a bit arbitrary isn’t it, concerning these stockings? Some people aren’t wearing them at all, and some of us have them for a different length of time.
went for a drive round the block yesterday to see how it felt. We’re going for a lunch very near by tomorrow and I want to be able to drive husband back, for once. He’s done so much driving for me. Wouldn’t want to drive a long way but can manage the short distance.
im trying to follow the 250 steps an hour rule, although not all the time.
You‘re right, you soon know if you’ve done too much. I got up and did a few things today, but have now gone back to sit in bed! (And we did wake early because of a problem of my husbands, rather than my knee for once!)
yes, feel very sorry for the people flooded out. There’s been a lot of rain here, but not to that degree.
 
@henrietta just wondering how you are finding driving? I am 6 weeks post op and couldn't attempt driving yet. Seeing my surgeon on 10th March and presumably he will give me go ahead. Because of the pain,discomfort hard to envisage being behind the wheel. We have a 4 x 4 automatic so hopefully shouldn't be too bad. I am not using crutches around the house now so at least progress. Still taking oramorph 2 x day as have reaction to many meds. Hope your back and hips are improving, the different way we walk at present doesn't help. I am seeing my osteopath on Monday for a tweak. Wish you well on our road to recovery. X
@aries hope you are progressing, sounds like you have been doing well. The sleep problem is awful isnt it. I usually am up after 2 or 3 hours but I do drink a lot of tea, smoothies. I also have 1 or 2 complans as been right off food. This forum is a godsend isnt it, learnt so much and some fabulous people here. My friend will be having TKR soon and she has joined as so many questions play on your mind. Let's take each day and be kind to our knee xx
 
Andypandy, yes we do meet some fabulous people don’t we? One of the good things about this!
i think being in rural France means I really do take it easy most of the time and allow the knee to heal. I walk round the house without support but haven’t been outside much. My Fitbit is now telling me when I haven’t done 250 steps in an hour, and sometimes it makes me get up to do it! I take 500 mg paracetamol twice a day, and use ice at night.
I’ve agreed to drive back from a nearby village after a lunch tomorrow but wouldn’t drive further as knee feels stiff driving. See the surgeon on Friday and after that will try more if he agrees. Also looking forward to swimming again eventually! Back ache improving.
wishing you well for Monday, hope it helps.
 
@henrietta Sounds idyllic, as if its telling you take your time. The sun is shining today and thought a good time to take a little wander and then the heavens opened up. Maybe later. I can't take paracetamol at moment as being monitored by Liver Specialist, they found my liver function high whilst in hospital and believe it could be that or a Statin I take. So far readings going down but if I could take paracetamol, I think it would help to take edge off pain. Good luck with surgeon update, how many weeks are you now. Enjoy weekend x
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom