TKR Swimming Query

Any chance that you’re dehydrated? That can cause headaches. I hope they ease up.
 
Thanls for your post Helizabug, I do not think that I am de hydrated as I am drinking a lot throughout the day. I was advised before the operation to drink at least 8 glasses of water, on top of tea and coffèe
I feel fine during the day, but during the night I seem to become hot (Although I do not have a temperature), have a very dry mouth, lips and eyes and end up taking paracetamol because of having a head ache. Not quite so many visits to the loo now, so I think that things may be improving.
I seem to remember that I had similar issues after a hip operation in 2012 and probably after my last knee op so I am hoping that things will settle down soon.
 
We’re all different aren’t we? Perhaps that’s just how you are. I had half staples out yesterday, a little bleeding but ok. Bit of pain at night, Ice at bedtime and on waking, about 6.00 am. Rest of staples out tomorrow. Taking paracetamol twice a day.
 
I am just taking paracetamol now to mange pain which is not too bad most of the time. It is strange that you only have half of your staples taken out and then have to make another visit to have the rest taken out. I have my first physio appointment on Monday,so that should be interesting.Strange how things are done differently in different places.
I have had a quiet day today, as we have storm Dennis in UK this week end, so I did not venture outside for a walk.
 
Yes, it is strange how things are done differently isn’t it? In fact Jonathan the nurse came to do my injection but will take the rest of the staples out this evening, (Sunday). He comes to me (9.00 pm, end of his day) I don’t have to go out. I’ll go to see the Kine (physio) next on Wednesday.
Has storm Dennis arrived yet?
 
Yes Storm Dennis has caused a lot of flooding in various parts of UK. Wales, Devon and Yorkshire seem to have been hit very hard. Lots of flights have also been cancelled today as well.It seems to have calmed down a bit around here at the moment, but I think that there may be more to come today. We are lucky that we live in an area, which is not prone to flooding.
It must be nice to have a nurse that arrives at your house to give treatment.Are the injections for anti coagulation. I finished my injections last week, but I had to do them myself.Hope that you have a gòd day.
 
@aries My hospital changed protocol this year. Last year it was Teds and injections, although some surgeons were doing away with Teds. This year no Teds and soluble aspirin instead of injections, so much easier.
 
I wish my surgeon followed that policy. I was told by several nurses that I needed to wear them for 6 weeks.I do not have an issue with the short one on the unoperated leg, but I have a longer one on the operated leg and although it is not too bad for most of the time, it seems to become very uncomfortable at night times. I am a bit worried about when I have the dressing finaĺly taken off on Tuesday that the stocking might rub I've the incision area.

When I had my first knee done I only wore them for 2 weeks and that was great.
 
Yes, for anti coagulation .
i did have a nice day thank you, we went to a bar 45 minutes away in a town where lots of Brits live. Went there because you can guarantee there will be a bar open! (Otherwise no guarantee of a bar open, that’s the downside of living here) Beautiful countryside and a sunny day. Today is rainy and dull.
we’ve seen the floods on tv, a terrible thing. I know Solihull so know it’s fairly safe from such things.
Still taking some paracetamol although the nurse seemed to think I might have finished. Surely not? And ice at night.
 
Hi Henrietta, it sounds lovely to be going out for a drive to a bar, on a sunny day.Yesterday the weather was awful here, but I did manage a short walk in between the showers. I am still taking paracetamol snd a few ibruprofen. Pain is not too bad, but ocasionally seem to experience stabbing nerve pain around my knee cap and then it disappears for a while. Still using quite a lot of ice, but every day there seems to be a slight improvement. I have my first physio appointment today, so that should be interesting.
 
Ted's are stockings that are given to patients to prevent blood clots. I have to wear mine for 6 weeks, but every hospital and every surgeon, seem to have a different view about how long they have to be worn for, if at all.
 
I have them. I think I can stop when the injections stop end of this week. Trouble is I haven’t been wearing them at night and I think last year I did, and should be!
 
Aries, Glad you managed a short walk. I’m having a lazy morning in bed but really must get up now. Will be interested to hear how the physio appt went.
nothing like a British state registered physio! (You know what you’re getting) I saw one when I was still living in England, very helpful, also paid to see one privately when I came back last summer.
 
I didn’t wear those Ted hose at all. I was supposed to, but it was one more thing than I could manage. I made sure to move about a lot, I took my baby aspirin, and I watched for signs of blood clots. With all the different protocols on this, it feels like a roll of the dice how this all works out. I wonder if there’s any recent, reliable research.
 
Physio appointment went welĺ yesterday. Most of the time was taken up with gathering information about medical history and how things have been going regarding the knee. Had a bend if 105 degrees and could achieve a straight leg Advised to use crutches for idoors and two when outside so I was quite pleased.
 
That sounds good. I go today but no history will be taken and little conversation, partly not entirely due to my poor french language skills. Doesn’t worry me too much.
Final dressing off last night, looks ok. Awful pain in my back and hips when I got out of bed though!
 
Hi Henrietta,
It is nice when the dressing comes off. One more step on a long journey. It must be interesting having a meeting with physio with limited language skills. My physio seems very experienced, but talks non stop and it is difficult to get a word in.
I have booked an appointment with GP this afternoon as I still cannot sleep throughout the night due to headaches and many trips to the bathroom. I do not expect he will have any explanations but I suppose it is the right thing to do. I am trying to be slightly more active during the dsyvand not having any naps but that does not seem to help particularly. Even had a glass of red wine last night.
I am going to try and increase the distance when I go out for a walk to see whether that might help.
I have watched several programmes during my recovery about people who move abroad for a better life and there has been quite a lot about the Dordogne. Looks absolutely stunning!
Sorry to hear about your back and hips and hope that things will settle down soon.
 
@Helizabug There is an article on Bonesmart about the research on aspirin versus injections, but I can't find it now. I've seen it a few times when looking for something else so I'll let you know if I come across it again.
 
@aries sounds like a good idea to see the doctor about the poor sleep. (Except he’ll give you sleeping tablets? Have you tried meditation?) Once we get out of the routine of good sleep it’s hard to get back into it, isn’t it.
spent 20 minutes squeezing a foam rugby ball under my knee yesterday then half an hour with leg suspended by weights so I could exercise by bending it. As we’d just had lunch out I nearly went to sleep! He’s offered me an appt on Friday, first time he’s offered another in the same week.
Hips and back still aching. I wonder if I need to walk more to help the aching?
Book club meeting at our house this afternoon. Yes, the Dordogne is stunning!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom