Guest viewing is limited

Swelling? Can't figure out why....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask a question & you get answers on here. I have been on the couch since I got home from the hospital.
It is all most U shaped with a chaise on one end & an electric recliner on the other. The sleep positions are endless.
I had my CPM, ice cooler & that pulse type machine set there when they were needed. I have tried sleeping in the bed twice but between a allergy cough, bathroom breaks, hollering when I bend wrong, a way off schedule sleep time, two dogs jumping on it. My poor wife can't get any sleep & she works for a living. So, my laptop & big screen are right there if I can't sleep. It seems to work good for now. Good Luck.
 
I am answering the questions posed to me first...
My pain level when stationary is 4, trying to bend or straighten 6

Meds
Oxycodone 5mg per pill, 2 pills every 8hours
Percocet 325 mg every 8 hours
Valium 5 mg onece in the evening to help he calm down for the night and one more 6 or so hours later when I wake up. I can take the first 2 every four hours and I might need to go back at least to every 6 hours as I vowed to be more faithful with at home exercises.
3. I ice at least 4 times a day for a min of half hour
4. Elevating my leg? Don't think so I live in my recliner
5. I still use my walker, so I do what I can in the kitchen such as unloading the dishwasher putting things away getting simple breakfast made for daughter. Clean up after myself, tried to help with laundry today but can't really do anymore than use my grabber to get it in and out of the washer and dryer
6. I have 2 sheets of exercises to do, have I done them all every day? No...but they are the typical exercises and I try to do them once a day. Ankle bends 2 sets of twenty, quad sets 2 of 10. Heel slide 10, assisted leg lift 20 and the dreaded exercise where you put a small roll under and
Kle and let leg just dop or hang for 3 minutes

At PT I spend 10 min on the NU-step to loosen me up and that helps as I get going
 
Today I was emotional a lot...crying jags twice that took a while to get a hold of...
 
It takes awhile to sort things out. I found a recliner is a good option and take some sleep when you can. The pain meds seem to be different for every one but to do PT and relax and heal, I found they were an important part of the plan. You are not alone on the crying gags, some times it seems overwhelming and it helps to cry. Plus it plain hurts. Again you are not alone or a weak person. This is not for the faint of heart...hang in there as your BS buddies are there for you and understand what you are going through. We really, really do!
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I tried ice behind my knee and sleeping with a memory form pillow. They are suppose to help your neck but I used the pillow sideways to lay my leg in the long groove. It helped to support it and keep my leg more comfortable. Hang in there...I thought I would never sleep but it gets better. I did just try and grab sleep whenever possible.
Pippi


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
What does everyone use to elevate their knee? And how hight? I am 5'4" and was wondering if theses wedges I see on Amazon would work for a shorty like me?
 
Hi - I looked at those too, but my PT told me not to buy one. 3 stacked pillows work well. If you look in the library on here there is a whole section on elevation telling you the rights and wrongs - its really helpful.
Good luck!
 
Forgot to say, I'm 5' 4 too! Depending on how far on you are in recovery, you can really get 'toes above nose' which will do wonders for swelling, if you can manoeuvre yourself with your legs up the head board on your bed, suitably padded out with pillows.
I really disliked elevation by the way - but hang in there, it will really drain swelling and you may come to like it!
 
I'm at the 8 week mark now and at best I sleep for 3 hours before having to reposition my knee.
In the discharge information it stated " do not rest the knee over a pillow as this will make your knee stiff and do not let the leg roll out".
I try side sleeping with a pillow between my knees but am interested in hearing more from people who sleep with there knee propped up on several pillows as to whether it really does cause stiff knees.
I may have to try a few extra pillows tonight:yes:
 
Body pillowS quickly became my best friend!! Just remember recovery is a day by day thing. Up down all around....but it WILL be worth it!
 
Day 13 and I'm heading to my internal medicine doctor for procedure additional follow-up. I had my surgery in the hospital two and half hours away so the two week check will not be with my surgeon. I do not have any type of staples or stitches to be removed, I have some stitches underneath or inside that will dissolve and then derma glue and Steri-Strips on the top of my knee. For this I feel relieved!
When thing I have not heard anyone mention here was there blood thinner routine after surgery. Mine included My husband has been giving me one Shot a day And today and thank goodness today is the last day! The drug is Lovenex, no one else I have heard of has been on this type of drug that it is the choice of my surgeon. my surgeon Gives everyone this drug, I tried to talk him into something else it seriously at the time it was almost a make or break part of my decision how naïve of me to think that shot was going to be the worst part of it. I certainly do not look forward to it on a daily basis and neither does my husband but today is the last one! It makes a Monday seem a lot better!
From reading others experiences it seems to me that I am one of the few people that started outpatient physical therapy immediately upon release from hospital. I wish I could afford that new step exercise machine they had their it sure does loosen up the knee getting ready for the rest of the therapy, but I know from experience they are several thousand dollars.
Woke up early with a lot of pain on the top of my knee which is not where it is been centered before I need to figure out this whole elevating thing because I never really done that and see if the swelling is reduced by elevation.
Just a little FYI for anyone do not do exercises after 7 PM it really makes for a rough night I kind of didn't believe this is by the time my husband and I got around to doing some on Friday night I was miserable the whole night then
I in a praying person and will cover everyone on this thread and prayer this morning that Monday is a good day with a little less pain than yesterday and a little less frustration than yesterday and I pray everyone they has to have those Numbers taken at PT are all was really surprised!

My goal this week is too sit at the dinner table for all my meals, I just hate having my leg down for very long but I do love eating!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
In the discharge information it stated " do not rest the knee over a pillow as this will make your knee stiff and do not let the leg roll out".
I could understand that for the first few days, as it would help the extension. How long that is relevant is the question.
For many weeks, your knee will get stiff when it doesn't move for a while, no matter what position it is in. When you start sitting with your foot on the floor, it will be very stiff when you get up. It's very temporary, and after 2 or 3 steps it's loose again. As long as you do the straightening exercises regularly, I can't see the problem
 
My pain level when stationary is 4, trying to bend or straighten 6
That's high ...
Oxycodone 5mg per pill, 2 pills every 8 hours.
Percocet 325 mg every 8 hours. I can take the first 2 every four hours and I might need to go back at least to every 6 hours as I vowed to be more faithful with at home exercises.
Not quite sure I understand this, it's a bit muddly.

So you take
- oxycodone 10mg every 8hrs
- percocet 325mg every 8hrs
So what is it you can take "the first 2 every 4hrs" and what "go back to at least 6hrs"?
What do the instructions on the labels actually say?
Valium 5 mg once in the evening to help me calm down for the night and one more 6 or so hours later when I wake up.
Can't see any value in taking this. It's not a pain killer it's an antidepressant and of no value whatsoever. And actually it is far more addictive than either of the other two!
I ice at least 4 times a day for a min of half hour
Ice more - hours at a time is good. I had ice on all the time I was sitting and resting. Even had it on when I was sleeping!
Elevating my leg? Don't think so I live in my recliner
What difference does that make? And what did you think I meant by elevating? Did you read the articles I left you? There is one on elevating which will explain what I mean. You HAVE to elevate. In fact elevate all the time you are resting/icing.
I still use my walker, so I do what I can in the kitchen such as unloading the dishwasher putting things away getting simple breakfast made for daughter. Clean up after myself, tried to help with laundry today but can't really do any more than use my grabber to get it in and out of the washer and dryer
NO! Obviously you haven't read the articles I left for you. There is one on Activity progression which you should read right now. You are only 2 weeks out - your only job right now is to rest, elevate and ice - and take your pain meds. NO housework nor anything like. You are in recovery - that's a full time job for the next few weeks. Read the articles.

I have 2 sheets of exercises to do, have I done them all every day?
No...but they are the typical exercises and I try to do them once a day.
- ankle bends 2 sets of 20 - these you can do any time as much as you like. They are just anti-clot exercises
- quad sets 2 of 10 - do you mean where you clench the front of you thigh? That's okay
- heel slide 10 - I suggest you do these about 4 or 5 every couple of hours. Sit on the edge of your chair and when you have your foot back as far as you can comfortably get it, lean forward a little to increase it for a few seconds. But the key to this is never ever cause yourself pain with this. Only discomfort.
- assisted leg lift 20 - just do 5 of these in the morning. Increase weekly as per the PT article
- small roll under ankle and let leg just dop or hang for 3 minutes - it's far too early for this exercise. I'd suggest you just lay on the bed with your leg flat and only using your muscles, press the back of the knee down for about 5-10 seconds. Do this about 3-4 times each morning. Increase every week.

I know this will seem to you like I'm contradicting your PT's instructions and you're right, I am. Because I find that many people have routines given them that are far too rigorous for the early stages of recovery so I try to empower people to choose a less punishing course and that way, make progress more quickly and with a lot less pain!
Today I was emotional a lot...crying jags twice that took a while to get a hold of...
Oh then that confirms you obviously haven't read the articles! There's one on post-op blues you should read so you don't feel this is a negative thing. It's just all part of the recovery package, so don't get yourself in a tizz about it - tears are actually very healing!
The drug is Lovenex, no one else I have heard of has been on this type of drug
That's probably because others have just never talked about it. It is widely used after joint replacements. In fact we even have an article about it in the Library! Blood thinner (enoxaparin, Lovenox, Coumadin) injections. Another bit of reading for you!
Woke up early with a lot of pain on the top of my knee which is not where it is been centred before I need to figure out this whole elevating thing because I never really done that and see if the swelling is reduced by elevation.
Oh elevating the THE KEY to controlling swelling - that and pain meds and ice. And not overdoing things, of course! Please do read the articles (oops - I think I said that once or twice before, haven't I? :heehee:)
 
I have one of the wedges, I purchased the Ali Med one it was less $, same wedge.
I am 5'2", it is not perfect, but my leg stays in place better, my leg kept coming off the stacked pillows. I line the wedge with old CPM pads so it is softer and I can keep my heel from pressing into the foam.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00A29VR2E/?tag=ate362da-20
I got the one from Easier living 35.00.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Swelling? Can't figure out why.... This is the best way to use pillows. Stack them up, so that your leg is elevated.
Don't use just one pillow behind the knee, because that can impede circulation.
 
I tried everything! Sleeping on my back, a little to the side, pillow between the legs, multiple pillows behind my head.. nothing worked except my recliner. I'm a big time side sleeper and my body refused to sleep in my bed. The recliner is the only way I have been able to sleep even a few weeks out of surgery. Do what feels comfortable for you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
 
Don't waste your money on the wedges. You'll only use them for a few weeks and then they'll just be clutter!
Use a pile of cushions or pillows instead. Just as good.
 
@Tamsmom We have a way on here of keeping all recovery posts in one thread.
So I have merged your three threads together.
The reason is explained in this article One thread for your recovery please?
Would you do this instead of keep starting new threads about your recovery, please?
Many thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom