TKR Suz's Recovery Journey

Good news from both you and your sister, glad Allan has all your good info to help him through.
 
Great news for both you and your sister. I hope all goes smoothly with Allan's surgery.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Happy to hear about T, I hope Allan is feeling better. I know what you mean about life's challenges, it can be overwhelming at times but I have learned that when it feels like I am at the end of my rope that if I just stop, take deep breaths and pray I feel grounded again and can handle whatever is thrown at me.

I am loving the slightly cooler weather and spending a little more time outside.

I am glad Audrey is also doing well and looking forward to Halloween, my younger grandkids are excited also.

Have a great weekend!!!
 
Wow Suz so much has been going on in your life since I have been on here Although it's been a while since I have been on I have thought of you and many others often. I will add my prayers to others for her recovery. Please remember to take care of yourself as well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey

This made me think of your love for Peanuts!
 
I've been thinking of you and your sister, hope all is well and T is continuing to make progress.
 
Suz, just caught up on your story. God is great! I hope your sister's movement has continued to improve Hoping your fiancé is also doing well. You had such kind words for SpunkyBarb (my mother) when she had her RTKR, that I had to read and see how your knee was doing. Sounds like it's doing great. Barb is doing great also.
Do you think the buckling you experienced in the pasture was from uneven ground? I live on 10 acres, with horses and the uneven ground is a pain.
 
HI @Suz ~ been thinking of you & praying for T. How are you all doing? I hope your fiancé is feeling better also! :)
 
Hi Suz,
Thinking of you and glad your sister is improving, she certainly has a journey of her own :angel:
Sending good thoughts and prayers, how is your knee holding up??
 
Just checking in @Suz Suzie. Hope you, your sister, and all are doing well and the holidays have been wonderful.:santa hug:
 
My head hangs in shame as I come here to post again. I received such awesome support not only during my knee replacement and recovery- but for my sister as well. T hasn't recovered any of her ability to move from the neck down. She has come to 'some' terms with it. She has good days & bad. I've been making the 4hr trek to her home for a few days each week to help with her care. It's exhausting to say the least but it's what sister's do!

I hope my friends here can forgive me for dropping off the planet. It wasn't intentional- it just happened. I'm sorry!

My right knee replacement is now 1yr post-op as of May 2nd. It continues to perform magnificently. I never hear anything out of it- no pain!

Now my left knee- a different story. I was so hoping I would have at least an entire summer to catch up with farm activities before she cranked up.. but she's been grumbling of late. I promised myself I would never ignore those pain signals again just because I wanted to go as long as possible without surgery.

SO, tomorrow I visit with my OS's assistant to begin jumping through the hoops for insurance requirements. Most of us know the process! Hopefully a cortisone shot and the little lecture about losing weight will give me some time before I find myself hanging out in the recliner hugging my ice machine again!

I hope all of your recoveries have been good! I've thought of those I followed around here post-op allot-!

Love, Suz!

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
Hello, @Suz ! How lovely to have you back again! :yes!: :flwrysmile:

Even though you've been away, I've often wondered how you and your sister are getting on.
I'm sorry she hasn't regained any movement. That's tough. How is her family coping with it?

I'm glad your right knee is doing so well. It's a pity you left knee is now making itself known. You will let us know how you get on with it, won't you?

We'll be here whenever you need us. Best wishes.
 
@Suz !! So good to hear from you. No need to apologize - you have been plenty busy being an incredible sister, as well as managing your own life. Prayers to T - trying to come to terms with such a significant limitation is overwhelming. As for you, young lady, tel that knee to straighten up and behave until the summer's chores are over. Would that it were so easy. Good luck, my friend. I can't recall, but has your OS tried synvisc injections, aka rooster comb injections? They are a bear going in but I would get months of relief each time....
 
Thank you @Celle! I completed my BoneSmart survey earlier today and realized just how much I had missed the wonderful members of this group. So, if the creek don't rise, as they say in the South here, I'm planning to come support others as often as possible! I'll let you know what the x-rays have to say tomorrow.

And thank you @NightQuilter for your kind-kind words! My OS didn't mention the synvisc injections 'last go round' but I may bring it up tomorrow. How long does it take for them to go in so I'll know how to prepare for that bear?LOL! I am such a woos when it comes to pain!

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
It is probably not unlike a cortisone injection ... i can' t be sure since my cortisone injections were done literally behind my back (in my spin ... another story)! Well, they hurt like childbirth ... of the knee ... if you can imagine that, but as I understand the theory, the substance is like that of the natural synovial fluid which, together with the cartilege, protects and cushions the joint. They actually called them "rooster comb" injections because originally that's what was used because of the similarity between the material in the rooster comb and our own synovial fluid. The synvisc is a gel. They numb you up well and after the injection I had no pain or side effects whatsoever. Of course, they worked so well, I put off my replacements for 4 years ... not a course I would recommend!! So, temporary pain for significant relief ... at least for me. All our situations are different, so your OS can best guide you. Good luck.
 
Hi, Suz! I've been wondering how your sister is. I'm sorry she hasn't regained much at this point, but how lucky is she to have you for a sister.

I had Visco shots in February in my left knee as I'm also trying to hold off a bit. I had one shot a week for three weeks and it takes about a month to feel the difference. But I'm walking now and trying to get in some type of shape before a LTKR.

I had both types of shots (Visco and Synvisc) by 2 different drs. One didn't numb the area and one does. While I handled both, I prefer having the area numbed by the spray.
 
Hello there Suz! How good to hear you are doing OK, but sorry your sister is still having her disabilities. You are a wonderful sister to help her out the way you do. You might want to try those shots to help get you through these summer months coming.
 
Awe- how awesome to hear from my dear BoneSmarties, (and Advisors)! I'm so glad I came here yesterday. Just knowing there are those here that are knee replacement SPECIALISTS makes facing an appointment like this so much better! I'll take you all with me today! I know I sound so cowardly- but with all I went through in 2016 I was hoping for a little time off in 2017, lol. Is that even possible in life?? So great to hear from you Karri & Paula!

)))HUGS!(((
 
Hi Suz! I hope everything goes well at your appointment today. Great to see you post again (sorry about the circumstances).
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom