Guest viewing is limited

TKR Suz's Recovery Journey

SO.. my imagination ran completely wild while waiting on the x-ray and dx scheduled for today. I just knew a replacement was in my destiny for 2017! Great news! I have 3 significant spurs, a few small ones and some light erosion- but was told if I take care of myself and lay off of the garden tiller, I won't be looking at a replacement for some time!

He said I have allot of good space left- and if I'll lose my extra 50lbs, (yes I cringed), I carry it well, ok, LOL! But that in so doing I would be rewarded with longer use of my knee joint! Putting a replacement in the far future! He then redeemed himself to say, 'hey, I have 30lbs I need to lose too', lol!

I received a script for Voltarin & a cortisone shot, MAN- I'm sore tonight, but NO complaints at all-! It appears I'm possibly getting a few more years hopefully out of this knee!

That leaves me on the 'support' side of things here at BoneSmart! Just because I didn't received what I so feared in a dx today.. doesn't mean I don't have contributions I can make here! What on earth would I have done without you here during my recovery? SUFFERED SO MUCH MORE!

I do know this- that cortisone shot has left me flushed & sore. But he said it will pass soon. It's a gentle reminder of how important our knee joints are and deserve our very best of care! Now.. to shake off my love, (addiction), for carbs, SHEW! But thank GOD I'm not looking at a replacement this year- LOL!

One last thing. We talked a little about the miscommunication and my not receiving appropriate pain relief in the recovery of last years replacement. He became very interested when I told him I became so mad when told I would not be getting a refill at 2wks out- that I not only rebelled but refused any more PT. He asked me, he said, "well, how did you handle that recovery pain"? I explained that I was given advice from a true joint replacement 'specialist' to take a combination of Tramadol & Tylenol X-tra Strength ON schedule, (THANK YOU JOSEPHINE)! He replied, "that is very sound advice, an excellent combination for severe knee joint recovery pain"!

I grinned from ear to ear after hearing that! SO love this site!

LOVE YA'LL!!

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you had better news than you were expecting, Suz. Here's hoping that the cortisone injection makes your knee behave.

Thank you for the kind words about BoneSmart. Josephine is currently recovering from shoulder surgery and I'm sure she will appreciate your comments, and your surgeon's as well.
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Suz
That's great news, Suz! I hope the cortisone shot helps and adds to your gift of time.
 
Did your doctor say anything about removing your spurs? That will help your knee for many years to come. I had my removed every 4 to 5 years on both knees starting in the 1980s. The surgery is minor compared to a tkr!
 
Suz,
Stinks to hear that you're in the thick of things, BTW, you really helped me through my little nightmarish journey having the two knees done...take care of that knee, and of course, if the replacement happens one day, you'll coast through that.

Ted
 
  • Friendly
Reactions: Suz
Thank You @ted! I was concerned about your second go round- then I became pre-occupied away from BoneSmart. How delighted I was to come back and find you well on your way to getting your life back now!

I hold anyone who has both knees done within a few months in highest regard. You're TOUGH!

I do know it's so wonderful to have my right knee functioning at full capacity with no pain. I still find it so wild that all of that pain I lived with is now completely gone. I have all but forgotten the pain actually. I think of it when I go through Walmart on occasion and see those scooter deals that I HAD to use in the last months before my replacement. Those were some awful days living in raw pain.

It's so worth the few months of recovery to not feel that pain any longer! According to my x-rays yesterday I have another few years, hopefully longer, before I have to face it again! But when the time comes- I'll do my best to coast through it with more smiles than my last flight- LOL!!

Nice to hear from you and the other wonderful folks here again!

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
Did your doctor say anything about removing your spurs?

No, he didn't mention it @sistersinhim, Paula. Maybe they weren't significant enough? But I will certainly keep this in mind.

I think he hit a nerve when he gave me the cortisone shot. Lot's of pain all day- my limping around like I had a wooden leg- lol! I don't recall any cortisone shot leaving me with that much pain in the past. I finally had to beak down at dinner tonight and take my 'Josephine Magic Potion'- Tramadol/Tylenol. Sat under ice and tonight it's much better!

This is a big time on the farm. Our AKC Great Pyrenees Couple, Duke & Duchess, have 9 puppies in the birthing suite, (nice big stall in our barn)! They are so adorable. I have people from all over the United States applying for them. We breed primarily for farmers who need LGD's. Large Guard Dogs to protect their livestock from predators.

Every now and then I will consider an in the home companion placement. I have a couple who wants one for their daughter who is autistic. These are the BEST dogs with children. Very protective and I've seen children jump all over them. This breed is so intelligent they know not to mind the play!

I'm about to go horizontal but will leave everyone with a peak at our babies. I'm not proud- LOL!

[Bonesmart.org] Suz's Recovery Journey
 
Beautiful puppies, Suz!

My neighbours have a Bernese Mountain Dog. He's a gentle giant, and so good with their little two-year-old boy.
 
Oh my goodness! I could just eat those precious babies up. They are adorable!

I have had cortisone shots hurt really bad for a day of two, then start to feel better. I would take someone with me, if it was my right knee.
 
The PA that does my shots always advises me to ice/elevate afterward.
 
Adorable puppies Suzie! What a wonderful service you provide in breeding such a nice ... well, breed. So delighted with your good news from the OS! :yahoo: While I had much more than 50 to lose, I found the Paleo program to be the only thing that worked in 26 years. 35 lbs. Now I have to get rigorous again and work on getting some more off.
Good luck on preserving that knee!
 
Back
Top Bottom